Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by jamesB-36 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
January 25, 2019 at 1:42 pm #3129131

severinP

One filter is adding a backslash in the upload_dir['baseurl']

You will find this filter in wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/url-handling/converter/filters/class-wpml-lang-domain-filters.php

/**
	 * @param array $upload_dir
	 * @return array
	 */
	public function upload_dir_filter_callback( $upload_dir ) {
		$upload_dir['url'] = $this->wpml_url_converter->convert_url( $upload_dir['url'] );
		$upload_dir['baseurl'] = $this->wpml_url_converter->convert_url( $upload_dir['baseurl'] );

return $upload_dir;
	}

It should be replaced by

/**
	 * @param array $upload_dir
	 * @return array
	 */
	public function upload_dir_filter_callback( $upload_dir ) {
		$upload_dir['url'] = $this->wpml_url_converter->convert_url( $upload_dir['url'] );
		$upload_dir['baseurl'] = untrailingslashit($this->wpml_url_converter->convert_url( $upload_dir['baseurl'] ));

return $upload_dir;
	}

If you look in the wp documentation you will see that the baseurl should never have a trailingslash (and it's used a lot directly appending a slash to it) meanwhile the url does have one

You can simply dump the value of $upload_dir['baseurl'] before and after modification and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks

January 28, 2019 at 9:43 am #3134742

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello

Thanks for pointing this out to us. May I please get more information on the install configuration you have so that I can replicate this issue?

Clarifications:
1. Is this affecting something that you impletemented programatically? or did you find this behaviour because of some online transaction that was not working as expected?

If it was programtically, since I am not a developer, would you mind including the code you wrote to check this behaviour so I can send a test case to the development team?

2. Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Thank you for your colalboration.

January 28, 2019 at 10:53 am #3135036

severinP

Hello,

It's not about environement, you will find this issue when you upload images, if you include them in a post or page you will see the link will be something like
mysite.com/wp-content/uploads//2019/01/my-file.jpg
When it should be
mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/my-file.jpg

It doesn't affect how the image will be displayed that's why this issue is minor and hard to find

But I does affect browser caching of the image if you also include it in the page with the correct link, the image will be loaded twice instead of only once.

January 28, 2019 at 5:18 pm #3136885

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I tried to replicate this on a fresh installation on a sandbox server. but was not successful.

Here is what I did:
1. Created a new post in a secondary language (I don´t think this matters)
2. Inserted a media using the library
3. Inserted a new media using upload function
4. save post
5. Inspect the links created (see image).

Am I executing the correct steps to replicate the situation you are describing?

SandboxTest.png
January 31, 2019 at 3:25 pm #3148563

severinP

I forgot to mention this issue is situated in WPML_Lang_Domain_Filters class meaning that you need to have the site setup with multiple domains per language to see this issue

Eg( domain1.com => english domain2.com => french )

Sorry

Otherwise yes the steps you did will show you the issue

There is also a minor optimisation problem in that file

/**
	 * @param string $url
	 * @return string
	 */
	public function siteurl_callback( $url ) {
		$getting_network_site_url = $this->debug_backtrace->is_function_in_call_stack( 'get_admin_url' ) && is_multisite();

if ( ! $this->debug_backtrace->is_function_in_call_stack( 'get_home_path' ) && ! $getting_network_site_url ) {
			$parsed_url = wpml_parse_url( $url );
			$host       = is_array( $parsed_url ) && isset( $parsed_url['host'] );
			if ( $host && isset( $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] ) && $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] ) {
				$domain_from_global = $this->get_host_from_HTTP_HOST();
				if ( $domain_from_global ) {
					$url = str_replace( $parsed_url['host'], $domain_from_global, $url );
				}
			}
		}

return $url;
	}

Should be changed to that (It avoids one call to debug_backtrace) because of the associativity of the && (left to right) since this filter is used heavily, this is a huge improvement in the end

/**
	 * @param string $url
	 * @return string
	 */
	public function siteurl_callback( $url ) {
		$getting_network_site_url = is_multisite() && $this->debug_backtrace->is_function_in_call_stack( 'get_admin_url' );

if ( ! $getting_network_site_url && ! $this->debug_backtrace->is_function_in_call_stack( 'get_home_path', !is_multisite() ) ) {
			$parsed_url = wpml_parse_url( $url );
			$host       = is_array( $parsed_url ) && isset( $parsed_url['host'] );
			if ( $host && isset( $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] ) && $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] ) {
				$domain_from_global = $this->get_host_from_HTTP_HOST();
				if ( $domain_from_global ) {
					$url = str_replace( $parsed_url['host'], $domain_from_global, $url );
				}
			}
		}

return $url;
	}

Off subject but just an idea to consider

I don't know about your deployment process and maybe it will be too complicated to setup
but you should maybe consider setting up your own gitlab server and authorize connection to all the people having purchased wpml, where devs could do pull request and open tickets directly with your devs

It wouldn't be open source because the repo is still private to only paying users but at least you would gain the benefice of it where your users can make improvements and having an automated test suite to make sure there is no regression

January 31, 2019 at 5:17 pm #3149055

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for that detail - I will set that up on the test server and see if I can reproduce it.

Ref the git server, we do this already for wpml-config files and page builders integration. I´ve just checked with our senior supporters and they have told me that usually bug fixes are submitted in patch format.

Example
- go to the plugin folder
- write:

git init
git add .
git commit -am "Initial import"

- do your changes
- write:

git diff > patch.txt

- send us patch.txt

Does that sound like something you would use?

February 1, 2019 at 10:51 am #3151281

severinP

Yes, this works, where would I submit the patch after, in the support or is there somewhere else?

February 1, 2019 at 1:27 pm #3151733

Yvette
Supporter

Yes, in the support forum.

And, btw, I was able to replicate the error - so if you want to include it with this same ticket, I can escalate the bug and the optimisation together.

I am opening the private area where you can place the patch.txt
If the file is too big to upload to the forum, please use a file transfer service or the like.

February 8, 2019 at 10:08 am #3174321

frankB-33

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Is there already a fix avaible? It is quit anoying I can not publish my new languge because of all kind of errors caused by double slashes. For example, my header picture will not be displayed caused by this error. In my case the error apeared when I switched over to different domains per language.

By the way, The fix of severinP worked for me as well.

February 12, 2019 at 11:18 am #3188071

severinP

Hello, here is the patch file (PS: it's not possible to add a txt file here so I zipped the file)

February 14, 2019 at 10:28 am #3198814

Yvette
Supporter

Hi

The patch file did not load so I am opening the private area again as I see it did not open before.
Maybe just include a link to a file sharing platform please - in this way I can just download the patch and include it in an internal ticket.

January 21, 2020 at 3:11 pm #5333913

frankB-33

Hi,

This issue is still not fixed. Everytime I get a WPML update, I have to apply severinP's fix in the code.
When can we expect the bugfix? It gets quite annoying to apply the fix manually every time.

August 20, 2020 at 2:40 am #6834893

jamesB-36

Yeah, still a problem. Instead of modifying the plugin, I used the upload_dir filter at a later priority to remove the extra slash.