Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
December 30, 2020 at 9:06 am

naomiO

The uploaded xliff file doesn't belong to this system

December 30, 2020 at 9:37 am
December 30, 2020 at 9:41 am #7753205

naomiO

Thanks. I am here if you need more information, logins etc.

December 30, 2020 at 9:54 am #7753245

naomiO

Oh and pass thanks to Bruno please. He's great!

January 1, 2021 at 2:18 am #7761453

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello,

Please go to hidden link and manually add the translation then update the page.

The button should be translated now.

hidden link

Also, does this happen only with this specific translation or with the rest of the ACF buttons?

January 1, 2021 at 7:40 pm #7763899

naomiO

Thank you Bobby. Happy new year! I very much appreciate your support given the time of year! Many thanks and good wishes to you and the WPML support team.

That is of course a solution but not a root cause fix to the problem, where certain fields of ACF blocks set to "translate" are not picked up by ATE and don't appear for translation.

This is currently happening for all buttons I made with ACF blocks. The button text field was added later to the block (because the ACF link field (text + url) also would not translate with ATE). There are some issues with other fields not being carried over to ATE, including a "testimonial" block with a text field.

Is there a place in the plugin folder or database table to inspect the xliff file for the ACF blocks to check what WPML thinks should be translated or not?

However Bruno mentioned that he saw an error: "The uploaded xliff file doesn't belong to this system". Is this a normal message? (I can't see that message in the console log or anywhere else.)

Thank you,

Richard

January 4, 2021 at 9:11 pm #7776071

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I have done a few tests and here are my results.

1. The XLIFF error located in the ATE Error logs is most likely a seperate issue as it corresponds for a different page, but also the issue happens without the Advanced Translation Editor therefore these 2 are most likely not related.

2. Due to the Advanced Translation Editor using a translation memory it's not noticable but whenever the page is updated the default value of your button text overwrites the translation which is why it never shows translated

It is almost as if the field is set to "Copy" even though it's set to "Translate"

3. I was able to reproduce this with a new page

This has been escalated to our team for further review, in the meantime you can utilize the workaround I provided in the previous reply and once I have news I will update you here.

January 5, 2021 at 2:07 am #7776629

naomiO

Thank you Bobby. Much appreciated. I will wait for news.

January 13, 2021 at 1:31 am #7829939

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

Please try using the Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual Beta Version 1.8.0-b.2 as it seems that it resolves this issue.

https://wpml.org/download/acfml/?section=changelog

Please do note Beta Versions are not recommended for live environments, however, you can test and see if this resolves the issue and wait for the stable release.

In our tests, it works as expected with the beta version

January 13, 2021 at 2:15 am #7830185

naomiO

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for the update.
I have this installed already on the recommendation of Alejandro since some time back in December. So the problem is working despite this beta.
Richard
Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual 1.8.0-b.2 1.7.5 December 9, 2020

January 22, 2021 at 5:42 am #7903213
naomiO

Greetings!

I just noticed that 1.8.0-b.3 has been released. Hurrah! Congratulations to your dev team on another release.

I am keen now to test some ACF repeater fields in Gutenberg Blocks.

Question: What would be the procedure to have the French page show the translated strings.
Is there some trick like editing the original language (English in this case) title or normal body text to force the translated pages to update? Or should it happen automatically?

It seems that the text has been translated, but the French page still shows English.

Thank you for your help!

Richard

English:
hidden link
French:
hidden link

New threads created by Bobby and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-translation-is-not-showing/

January 22, 2021 at 6:45 pm #7908771

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I can confirm from our tests that using the latest version of ACFML Version 1.8.0-b.3 the issue is resolved.

1. Upload the Version 1.8.0-b.3
2. Go to pages and update the page in the default language
3. Access the translation and update it as well

Let me know your results, please.

NOTE: Regarding the above question as this ticket is linked to an escalation and we try to keep each ticket to 1 issue I will be splitting it into a separate ticket of its own.

January 23, 2021 at 12:05 am #7909595

naomiO

It works!

Now this page does have translations of ALL the required repeater fields.
hidden link

Question:
I had to add an extra paragraph 'block' in the English, as I of course do not want to edit proofread English so that it should be retranslated in ATE.

What exactly triggers WPML to regenerate the translated page and fetch new translations?
Or is this a stupid question? For instance I can't figure out how it works sometimes and no others, and I cannot find instructions on this.

WPML remakes the translated page when:
a. the page is passed again through ATE
b. the page is passed again through ATE and the button says "Redeliver"
c. the original page (english) is modified, then passed through ATE
d. the translated page is opened directly in edit mode and saved / updated?

Which of the above is true.

Thanks a lot again for your help.

January 25, 2021 at 6:37 pm #7925209

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean by "remakes".

Are you referring to losing the translation?

This would only happen if the default language and translation were synchronized, so each change you made to the default would take effect in the translation.

Other than that when a small change is made in the default language and it's saved then the translation get's prompted to be updated but your content should not be lost.

January 25, 2021 at 9:59 pm #7926009

naomiO

Sorry Bobby - layman language.

It's confusing from the outside how the translation process works, when using both ATE and sometimes editing pages directly.

For now I will make some test pages and try to understand better what actions keep the translated page updated with added / removed / changed block content.

regarding the initial problem "uploaded xliff file..." I don't know where that error was seen (console log? Page source?) and if it has had any bearing on the issues i've experienced on the site, and if it is worth pursuing.

If not, let's close this ticket now that the beta ACFML plugin is working better.

many thanks.