This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Amir 10 years, 2 months ago.

Author Posts
June 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm #10481

Pieter

Hi,
Your plugin looks very promising, if only I could get it to work for the job it says it can do...
I have uploaded the mo files for both my theme and WP.
For now I have 2 languages: default English and 2nd language is Dutch.
The content of Posts and Pages is perfectly translated conform my input, but everything else (of the theme that is) is left alone.
I don't have any of the plugins that you have listed on the incompatibility list, I have followed the instructions in WordPress theme localization to the letter, on WP 2.7.1 with yr latest version 0.9.9.
Do you have any ideas/solutions?
Thanks,
Piet

June 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm #10483

Amir

In the 'Languages' admin screen, you'll see a 'theme localization' section. Expand it.
This is a screen shot of how it looks:
http://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/wpml_theme_localization.png
Make sure that the names of your mo files (locale names) are set per language. The plugin will check to see that the .mo files are indeed where they need to be.
If it says 'File exists', but still the localization doesn't work, it's very strange. We've got it working in our own site (http://wpml.org) and quite a few others have it working in their sites too.
Can you provide a link to your site?

June 3, 2009 at 8:41 pm #10484

Pieter

Hi admin, thanks for your reply.
Yeah I got the mo files 'File exists' going, that is why I also find it so strange.
The main URL is hidden link, Dutch version can be found at nl.dreamytales.com
Thanks,
Piet
PS I am also noticing problems with adding categories, cannot make a translation from an English category...

June 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm #10485

Amir

We're almost ready with the next release of WPML. We've fixed so many issues in many places and it's possible that this would go away too. The current development version that we have right now is much better than the version 0.99 that you're using.
Would you like to try using that?
If so, I'll send you a link to download.
Amir

June 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm #10486

Pieter

for additional info:
I have just tested the site(s) with only the WPML plugin activated and the rest deactivated and it still doesn't work.
I have pointed the subdomain nl to the root of the main domain (public_html), is that correct?
If that is not correct how should I then set up the sub domain?
Looking forward receiving your reply.
Piet

June 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm #10487

Pieter

Seems our posts just crossed each other 🙂
Yes, I would like to give the new version a try!

June 4, 2009 at 5:31 am #10488

Pieter

Hi Amir,
do you need anything from me to be able to send that download link?
Piet

June 4, 2009 at 9:57 pm #10489

Pieter

Hi Amir,
22hrs ago you told/asked me

The current development version that we have right now is much better than the version 0.99 that you're using.
Would you like to try using that?
If so, I'll send you a link to download.

To which I happily confirmed! Can you please send me the download link? If you don't have my address already via the forum, then you can send it to pbjcn06 at gmail dot com
Thanks,
Piet

June 4, 2009 at 10:02 pm #10490

Amir

Yeah, I'm sorry. We were up to our head today finishing the version 1.0. It comes released tomorrow.

June 5, 2009 at 7:02 pm #10491

Pieter

Hi Amir,
OK thx for the head's up, will have a look tmrw then for the new download...

June 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm #10492

Amir

WPML 1.0.0 is out now. Is it working for you?

June 12, 2009 at 11:34 am #10493

Pieter

Hi Amir,
I have uploaded the new version and running WP 2.8 now and the categories translations work fine now.
But the issues I described earlier (translation according to uploaded mo files) is still not working. On the English/Dutch/Spanish versions all mo translated words such as "Posted in", "Languages", "Pages", "Random Links Selection", "Comments are closed", the description, etc. are NOT translated.
Like I said, the MO files are uploaded, I'm starting to wonder if there is a step I forgot...
the sub-domains need to point to the main domain, correct?

June 12, 2009 at 11:42 am #10494

Amir

Right. The sub-domains all need to point to the same WordPress directory as the main domain. I'm sure that this is already what you're doing, otherwise you would see no contents for the translations.
For testing, you can (temporarily) change the language negotiation from domains-per-language to the default (language added as parameter).
In your theme, did you enter the text-domain with the same name as your theme?
For instance, in our theme (which is called 'wpml'), it looks like this:

_e( '404 - Not Found', 'wpml' );

Otherwise, WordPress doesn't know which .mo file to use for your theme's strings.

June 16, 2009 at 4:29 pm #10495

Pieter

Hi Amir,
Apologies for the late response.
Well I have all that you describe above.
in my functions.php I placed this line:

define('THEME_TEXTDOMAIN','blue-sky');

and all the lines are (and were already) written:

<h3><?php _e('Pages','blue-sky'); ?></h3>

I have changed the language negotiation from domains-per-language to the default (language added as parameter) as per your suggestion, but that also has not the desired effect.
Is there anything else that I can do apart from making 3 different websites with separate installs?
I actually still think it is sth at my end that I am not doing correct. This is the first time I use mo-files (never had the need before), but I have no ideas anymore. If you know of anything it would be very much appreciated!

June 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm #10496

Pieter

I have added Dutch and Spanish with mo file names nl_NL.mo and es_ES.mo resp.

The topic ‘[Closed] theme mo file present, but nothing translates’ is closed to new replies.