This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
October 17, 2018 at 4:33 pm #2825353

elkinO

I am trying to: remove the extra hreflang tags from pages, and I cannot.

I thought maybe it was an issue with my plugins being out of date, so, I tried to auto-update the plugins and I get plugin failures because they say "the destination folders already exist". However, I should be able to get automatic updates, because my license reads "WPML is registered on this site. You will receive automatic updates until February 15, 2019". But I can't auto-update.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: If you look at this page hidden link and view source, you will see there are a ton of extra hreflang tags, i.e. - hreflang="ar", hreflang="zh-cn", hreflang="fr-fr", etc. These shouldn't be here. I went to "translation options" on the back-end and selected "Not translatable" for "Prominent words (yst_prominent_words)" but, it doesn't work.

I expected to see: I expect to not see all of those extra hreflang tags.

Instead, I got: A lot of extraenous hreflang tags for all of my category pages.

Please advise asap, this is affecting seo.

Best,
Elkin

October 18, 2018 at 5:12 pm #2828983

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello Elkin,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.
I will my best to help you solve this issue.

1.- Regarding the hreflang tags, I can see by the debug information of your site that there are installed 19 languages, in this case you should have the same amount of hreflang tags in the pages of your site.

Note: Right now the page hidden link is only showing one hreflang tag (en-us)

2.- In case that you manually need to update WPML's plugin, here is a link that shows steps by step how to manually update WordPress plugins via FTP: hidden link

You can download the latest version of our plugins in: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Kind regards,
Carlos

October 18, 2018 at 5:23 pm #2829036

elkinO

Yes, but, 19 languages are not site-wide, only certain pages. The language tags do not need to appear site-wide, only for the pages that have translation. Can you tell me how to set it for only pages that have translation? In the Translation Options, when I set it to taxonomies translation "Not translatable", it doesn't work and still shows the tags. That is a major bug.

Also, for the clearance page, the language is set to be: <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en-us" href="hidden link" />

and it should be <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en-us" href="hidden link" />

the same as the canonical.

Can you guys please help? This is a major blow to seo.

October 18, 2018 at 5:26 pm #2829049

elkinO

I am going to temporarily remove the href languages from the entire site, because it is causing too many seo issues.

October 18, 2018 at 5:38 pm #2829057

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hi Elkin,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos