Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing an error message regarding the String Translation table after installing WPML and was unable to select the default language, with many options appearing empty.

Solution:
We recommended the following steps:
1) Navigate to WPML>>Languages>>Site Languages.
2) Add English as a language to the site.
3) Set English as the default language of the site.
4) Add Hebrew as a language to the site.
5) Set Hebrew as the default language of the site.
6) Install and activate the WPML String Translation plugin.
7) Translate the *Search Here* string from WPML>>String Translation.

To address the warning message, we suggested a workaround that can be found in the WPML forums: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/there-is-a-problem-with-the-string-translation-table-in-your-site-209/#post-9917251

There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site. This problem is not causing a problem running the site right now, but can become a critical issue in the future. WPML support team knows how to fix it. Please add a message in the relevant support thread and we'll fix it for you.

If the solution provided is not relevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case, we encourage you to open a new support ticket. We also highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us in the WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
March 7, 2024 at 8:00 pm #15386512

shayL-4

Hi,

I've purchased today the WPML.
After installing i get this error message on top of my site page, and i can't select default language on WPML site, also lot's of options is emtpy.

This is the error message:
There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site. This problem is not causing a problem running the site right now, but can become a critical issue in the future. WPML support team knows how to fix it. Please add a message in the relevant support thread and we'll fix it for you.

March 7, 2024 at 8:54 pm #15386836

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue. A couple of requests for tracking this.

1) Please share with us the WordPress debug.log(not WPML debug information) for collecting more details on this. Refer to the following pages for instructions

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

https://wordpress.org/documentation/article/debugging-in-wordpress/

To enable WordPress Debug log, open your wp-config.php file of site root and look for define('WP_DEBUG', false);. Change it to:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the */wp-content/* directory. Please do the steps to reproduce the bug and check you are getting any errors or warnings related to WPML in the log file.

If you can paste your debug.log to http://pastebin.com/index.php and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess of discussion).

2) It would be helpful if you could share a couple of screenshots for better understanding of the following.

I can't select default language on WPML site. 

Also lot's of options is empty.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 7, 2024 at 10:27 pm #15386948

shayL-4

Hi,

I've created the debug.log file as you've requested, but couldn't upload it to pastebin, as the log file was too large.

So i upload it to my site server - and you can download it from this url:
hidden link

When i enable the WPML it change my default English language, to my 2nd language.
In the language page i don't see any language selection / list, so i can't change the default language back to English.

Also, on top of the page there is some wpml error message (more info on attached debug.log)

lang_error1.png
March 8, 2024 at 10:26 am #15388347

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. The Debug.log is showing the following DB error a few times.

WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near

This may be related to the following ticket. So can you please with your hosting team that you have the correct settings for the MySQL database? Which hosting service & plan you are currently using?

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wordpress-database-error-you-have-an-error-in-your-sql-syntax/

Do you have a staging/dev site(a clone copy of the live site)? Because it will help us to troubleshoot the issue without affecting the live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 8, 2024 at 6:30 pm #15390457

shayL-4

Hi,

I'm running my site under a dedicate server.
This is a dev site, so you can feel free to connect to my site ftp/phpmyadmin in order to find out what is the problem with the wpml db table.

Please tell me where can I send you my site login information privately.

Regards,
Shay

March 9, 2024 at 4:40 pm #15391715

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Shay,

Thank you for the feedback. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Refer to the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 9, 2024 at 9:34 pm #15391999

shayL-4

Hi,

Thank you, I've sent you my admin cardentials privately.

March 10, 2024 at 3:13 pm #15392662

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Shay,

Thank you for the login credentials. I am getting the expected results on your site after the following steps.

1) Visit WPML>>Languages>>Site Languages
2) Add English as a language in the site
3) Set English as the default language of the site
4) Add Hebrew as a language in the site
5) Set Hebrew as the default language of the site
6) Install and activate WPML String Translation plugin
7) Translate *Search Here* string from WPML>>String Translation

Please check the attached images for more details. Therefore translate few of the posts/pages/strings and make sure you are getting the expected results or not.

To remove the following warning you can try the workaround suggested here - https://wpml.org/forums/topic/there-is-a-problem-with-the-string-translation-table-in-your-site-209/#post-9917251

Please try it and let us know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

2024-03-10_20h32_15.png
2024-03-10_20h21_55.png
March 10, 2024 at 4:15 pm #15392734

shayL-4

Hi,

The error message still appears, but some of the errors I've mentioned worked now fine (like being able to add or delete a languages from the lang page under admincp).

Along with this there is a problem with the English language, I tried to delete the Hebrew language from the system, but the system continues to display the management interface in Hebrew in RTL instead of switching to English LTR.

In addition, when I enter the site itself (when I'm in English by default), no post appears (everything is empty).

I tried to delete the Hebrew language content from the management page and clear all the content in Hebrew, in order to start with English language only, but it does not delete the content in Hebrew.

Could you please reset the language on the site for me, so that it will start with a base of English language and then i will add the Hebrew language and start define the posts in Hebrew accordingly?

wpml_lang.png
Home page is empty - no post appear.png
March 10, 2024 at 5:02 pm #15392823

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Shay,

Thank you for the updates. We can reset WPML from WPML>>Support>>Troubleshooting>>Reset section. But once we reset if will not possible to recover the translated data and current WPML configuration. So please try it only after a full site backup{mandatory}. Refer to the following article for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/deleting-languages-and-plugin-data-by-doing-a-wpml-reset-on-your-site/#step-3-do-the-wpml-reset

After the reset action please try to configure WPML as per your requirement and make sure the problem remains or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 10, 2024 at 11:05 pm #15392967
shayL-4

Hi,

I'm trying to enter my admin menu in order to delete my old 2nd language data, but it doesn't let me enter the admin menu.

Everytime I type this url:
hidden link

It automatically redirect to this url:
hidden link

And says that the page is broken.

There is some conflict between my old translatepress language db, and the wpml db that causing some problem with my site.
This is why I need you to reset my old language data, so I will start the translation all over and won't encounter anymore issues like now.

New threads created by Bigul and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/login-page-is-redirecting/

March 11, 2024 at 12:36 am #15393023
shayL-4

In continue to my previous message, i've noticed that the wp-admin login issue appear only when try to login from my mobile phone, when i try to login from my computer, it works ok.

I also tried to delete all language db from the support menu, but there is still no change, my site still appear in Hebrew RTL text menu, even after i delete my Hebrew Language.
For some reason it stucked in Hebrew and doesn't let me change back to English text menu in LTR.

I will appreciate if you can enter my admincp, delete all old Hebrew language data, and fix the issue with the current language menu display that doesn't show in English.

New threads created by Bigul and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/dashboard-of-the-site-is-showing-as-right-aligned/

March 11, 2024 at 8:29 am #15393444

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Shay,

Thank you for the feedback. I am also not able to log in to the site now. Therefore I have opened a new ticket for the Redirection issue. As per our support policies, we can only handle one issue per ticket. It will help us to serve you better and we can avoid discussing multiple problems in one ticket. I will get back to you soon on the latest ticket. Please wait. Thank you for your understanding.

One request. Please share a couple of screenshots for a better understanding of the following.

I also tried to delete all language db from the support menu, but there is still no change, my site still appear in Hebrew RTL text menu, even after i delete my Hebrew Language.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

March 19, 2024 at 10:11 am #15425338

shayL-4

Thank you for your help Bigul, this issue is solved.

shayL-4 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-19 10:11:05.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.