Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.85 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Richard 5 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Minesh.

Author Posts
July 22, 2014 at 5:10 am #440096

Richard

Hi,

I believe this issued started with the latest update.

My site has EN as the base language, and traditional chinese hosted under .tw domain and simplified chinese under .cn domain.

In the EN post, the "also available" links are correct

See:
hidden link

The two links available are:

hidden link

and

hidden link

Once you go to the .tw link or the .cn link, the link back to the English version is always incorrect. For example on the .tw page, the link back to the EN post is:

hidden link

You can see that the URL is correct, except, the domain is .tw, when it should be .com.

This also occurs on the .cn page.

The link back to the EN page is:

hidden link

It should be .com, not .cn for the link.

The links between the two alternate languages (.tw and .cn) are correct and work. It's just the link back to the main language that is busted.

Please help.

Thank you,
Rich

July 22, 2014 at 5:45 am #440105

Minesh
Supporter

Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!!

Can you please check that option "Translate by WPML" is set at WPML => Theme and Plugins localization.

***Please take FULL BACKUP of your database and website before following next steps.***

In order to fix your issue, Can you please follow next steps:
=> Login to your Admin Panel
=> Go to [Left Menu] WPML -> Support
=> Click on the "troubleshooting" link. [ You can find that at bottom of the page ]

Once you are on "Troubleshooting" Page:
=> Click on "Remove ghost entries from translations table" button.
=> Click on "General clean up" button.
=> Click on "Set language information" button.

If issue still persists, In order to investigate your issue, Can you please let us answer following questions:
=> Can you please share screen shot of WPML => Support Page
=> Can you please tell us what is your WordPress version?
=> Can you please tell us Which theme you are using? is it public?
=> Do you have same issue if you switch to default theme?

Thanks,
Minesh
OnTheGoSystems – Support Department

July 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm #440592

Richard

Hi Minesh,

I am using "Translate using .mo files." I stopped using "Translate by WPML" as this crashed my site, and WPML support told me to stop using it and switch over to my .mo files.

I did all the steps you outlined on the troubleshooting page, and the issue still persists.

I've attached a screenshot of my support page.
I am using WP 3.9.1.
I am using a custom theme, not publicly available.
I will need to test later on in the night to see if issue occurs with default them. I will presume yes, as this code is directly injected by WPML (Show post translation links is selected under Language switcher options section) and is not part of my theme.

Rich

July 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm #440604

Richard

I found this posting, regarding making a custom "This post is also available in" function.

http://wpml.org/forums/topic/about-post-translation-links/

It said to add the following code to your theme:

function icl_post_languages(){
$languages = icl_get_languages('skip_missing=1');
if(1 < count($languages)){
echo __('This post is also available in: ');
foreach($languages as $l){
if(!$l['active']) $langs[] = '<a href="'.$l['url'].'">'.$l['translated_name'].'</a>';
}
echo join(', ', $langs);
}
}

I tried this, and I also got the same results. The URL's that lead back to the default language, from the alternate languages, are incorrect. This leads me to believe the bug is in icl_get_languages function.

Rich

July 22, 2014 at 5:01 pm #440612

Richard

FYI,

The language selector dropdown on the single page, which is being generated by:

<?php do_action('icl_language_selector'); ?>

also has an incorrect URL back to the default EN page.

Rich

July 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm #441736

Minesh
Supporter

Hello Richard,

***Please take FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***

In order to investigate your issue if you like I could check things on your install in order to see what could be going wrong there.

If you agree to this please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP)?

I have already enabled private fields that you will find under this comment box.

Thanks,
Minesh
OnTheGoSystems – Support Department

August 22, 2014 at 11:14 pm #456343

Richard

I've updated to WPML 3.1.7.1 and the issue is resolved.

Rich