This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

WPML plugins get unexpectedly unregistered from the site.

Solution:

The problem happened when the user migrated the live site to the staging site. In this case, all the DB was migrated as well. And this is caused the registration key to change and, therefore, the site to get unregistered from automatic updates.

1. Generate a different site-key for each of the different domains of the site. Go to your Account page to generate the site-keys. This you have probably dome already.

2. Add the different site-keys to each of the environments in their respective wp-config.php files, using the following statement:

define( 'OTGS_INSTALLER_SITE_KEY_WPML', 'your-site-key' );

The value that you set using the OTGS_INSTALLER_SITE_KEY_WPML takes precedence over the value in the database. So, when you move the database between domains, you will not need to update the registration.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by alexanderA 1 week, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
September 22, 2019 at 9:46 am

alexanderA

Hello. Ten minutes ago I created a new support ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cannot-update-plugins-4/). I immediately received an email from WPML saying support agents would reply after the weekend. But I just received a second email from WPML saying this ticket was closed. Why was the ticket closed?

To be clear, I do not want to 'live chat' about the issue, nor did I request to 'live chat' about the issue. I simply want to submit a ticket and have an WPML agent respond later.

September 22, 2019 at 10:13 am
September 22, 2019 at 10:40 am #4618137

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I was following a procedure that was suggested on another resolved ticket in our forum that had the same issue. You can see the ticket at this link.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/update-failed-undefined-2/
The procedure is simple. I went to Dashboard -> Updates and pressed the "Check Again" button several times. Unfortunately, this didn't help.

Then I went to this link on your site.
hidden link
This is were WPML can be registered and also updated. On this screen, I pressed the 'Check for updates' button. Immediately after pressing this button, the screen changed, and I could see that WPML is not registered on your site. Please see the attached screenshot wpml-not-reg.jpg. Before pressing the button, it looked as if WPML is registered. I could see the available updates.

Can you please confirm that you or anyone with admin priveledges on your site have not pressed the 'Unregister WPML from this site' button on the same screen?

While I wait for your reply, I'm also consulting our second tier supporters about this issue.

We might want to have a copy of your site to continue to check the issue.
Do you allow us to take a copy of your site?

Thanks,
Itamar.

September 23, 2019 at 8:46 am #4621747

alexanderA

>> On this screen, I pressed the 'Check for updates' button. Immediately after pressing this button, the screen changed, and I could see that WPML is not registered on your site.

OK. I see that as well. I can assure you that usually indicates the site is registered. For some reason, it has automatically become 'unregistered.' And as I mentioned, this is not the first time it has occurred.

>> Can you please confirm that you or anyone with admin priveledges on your site have not pressed the 'Unregister WPML from this site' button on the same screen?

I can confirm that. There is no other admin on the site that even logs in, much less would know how to do this or would attempt this.

>> While I wait for your reply, I'm also consulting our second tier supporters about this issue.

Thank you.

>> We might want to have a copy of your site to continue to check the issue.
>> Do you allow us to take a copy of your site?

Yes.

September 23, 2019 at 3:34 pm #4625421

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

Our second tier supporter suggested that I'll check the debug.log of your site for any related errors. I've tried to connect to your site with the FTP details that you gave me, but I received the following error.

Error:	Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:	Could not connect to server

Can you please check if there are any WPML related errors on the debug.log of your site?

If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link, it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess in discussion).

Please, could you provide me the additional Info?

In any case, I'm enabling a private message so you can share with me the correct FTP access details if needed.

Thanks,
Itamar.

September 24, 2019 at 5:52 am
September 24, 2019 at 10:56 am #4630857

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the access details.

I could only see one message that is related to WPML and I'm not sure that it is related to the issue of this ticket. I'm consulting our second-tier supporter. When I have a reply from him, I'll get back to you here.

Thank you for your patience.

September 24, 2019 at 5:21 pm #4633215

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

The errors that we see on the debug.log seem not to be related to this issue. I can see that the debug.log on your site is active from 20-Sep-2019. But the problem of the site getting deregistered might have happened before that. Therefore we might not see related errors on the log. This issue is hard to debug. We are going to need to 'catch' the issue while it happens. So to continue debugging this issue, we need a copy of your site on our server. For this, I created a test site for you on our server.
Can you please migrate your site to our server?
The process is quite easy. Please see all the details on the next privet reply.
Meanwhile, so you will be able to receive automatic updates, I suggest that you register your site again in the commercial tab and add a new key or the last working key.

September 24, 2019 at 5:24 pm
September 25, 2019 at 10:01 am #4637507

alexanderA

OK I began the migration. But I may have to step away from my computer before the migration finishes. If so, when I return to my computer, I can notify you on the migration status.

September 25, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4639919

Itamar
Supporter

Ok, please let me know when migration is finished.

September 26, 2019 at 10:29 am #4645755

alexanderA

It is complete.

September 26, 2019 at 3:15 pm #4648315

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for migrating your site to our server.

I've escalated this issue to our second tier supporters. They will try to debug it and see if they can find the cause of what is causing the site to get deregistered.

I'll keep you updated here.

Thank you for your patience.
Itamar.

September 27, 2019 at 4:39 am #4651705

alexanderA

OK thanks. I have some more questions:

1. Do you have an estimated timetable for when they will be able to troubleshoot and resolve?

2. Did you say earlier that you would simply have to wait for the issue to occur again, then review log files? Is that actually what support will do in this case?

3. In the meantime, are you able to update the plugins on my dev site and live site for me?

Thanks.

September 29, 2019 at 11:21 am #4660639

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Itamar is on leave.
He will come back by Wednesday.
I will be helping you on this or you can wait for him as he is the one who is helping you from the beginning.

1. Do you have an estimated timetable for when they will be able to troubleshoot and resolve?
- it will be soon. developers are checking this.
- very likely you will get an update by Tuesday.
- there are more than one developers should check this.

2. Did you say earlier that you would simply have to wait for the issue to occur again, then review log files? Is that actually what support will do in this case?
- no
- we have your site access and a duplicate of your site.
- so our developers will check it right away.

3. In the meantime, are you able to update the plugins on my dev site and live site for me?
- normally no any support updates the themes or plugin for their customers.
- it's because if something happen due to the update then we will have to spend a lot of time to check this from top to bottom. that includes custom works as well.
- by the way if you want you can manually update the plugins that will fix this issue.
- steps:
-Deactivate all WPML plugins.
- Login via FTP to your wp-content/plugins/ folder.
- Delete all WPML folders.
- Go to http://wpml.org/my-account/downloads/ and download the latest WPML Multilingual CMS Plugin, then extract it.
- Upload the plugin via FTP to wp-content/plugins/ folder.
(alternatively you could upload the .zip folder using Dashboard > Plugins > new > upload)
- Activate the WPML plugin via WP Dashboard > plugins
- Complete the setup, if needed
- Register WPML for your site (at the end of setup, click on "generate key" button)
- Navigate to Dashboard > Plugins and locate WPML Multilingual CMS
- Click on the blue link that says "Registered"
- Download and activate all needed WPML AddOn Plugins

Regards,
Riffaz.