If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How can I display clean English contents AND temporarily REMOVE the language switch with activation of the WPML plugin(s)?

Solution: You can use the option to hide a language. This way, only the content from the other language(s) will be shown on the website, like you asked. You can easily do this change by going to Dashboard → WPML → Languages → Hide languages.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hlaingM 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 1, 2019 at 8:58 am #4320003

hlaingM

Hi,

(1) How can I display clean English contents with the temporary deactivation of the WPML plugins?

I have attached the issue (image file).

(2) How can I display clean English contents AND temporarily REMOVE the language switch with activation of the WPML plugin(s)? In the image file, the language switch still exists.

Thank you for your time.

August 1, 2019 at 11:28 am #4321115

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey,

Can you give me some more details about what do you mean by clean English content, please? Basically, when you deactivate the WPML plugin, the content from the original language is the one that remains.

If you want to remove the language switcher, all you have to do is go to Dashboard → WPML → Languages and make sure that the switcher is deleted from all the language switcher options. This way, no language switcher will be displayed on your website.

Thanks,
Radu

August 1, 2019 at 12:29 pm #4321627

hlaingM

Hi,

If you look at the 2nd part(bottom portion) of the image I attached, you can see the clean English contents (English ONLY with properly displayed format)

(1) "when you deactivate the WPML plugin, the content from the original language is the one that remains."
No, that is NOT the case as you can see the image (the top portion).

(2) My question included the word "temporarily" in the "....temporarily REMOVE the language switch...". If I delete a language switch, will all language contents associated with that language be deleted permanently? or deleted temporarily (which means they can be restored if I add it back)?

Thanks.

August 5, 2019 at 11:20 am #4340067

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

If you remove the language switcher from your website using the options from Dashboard → WPML → Languages → Menu language switcher, Widget language switcher, or Footer language switcher, the translated content will not be removed. All the page, posts, ads, all the other translations will remain the same. It's just that the visitors from your website will no longer be able to access the translation since there will no longer be a switcher to move from the default language (English) to the secondary one.

As I understand from your initial question, this is what you'd like to do. Basically, if you remove the language switcher (using the sections I mentioned), the visitors will be able to land on this page when accessing your website hidden link but they won't have an option to go here hidden link because there will be no language switcher to get there. This way, only the English version of the website will be accessible for them. Can you tell me if this is what you'd like to do, please?

Thanks,
Radu

August 6, 2019 at 2:48 am #4343753

hlaingM

Hi,

I am sorry I do not understand your statement quoted below. I am confused with the two contradicting parts "remain the same" and "no longer be able to access the translation" you wrote.

"...All the page, posts, ads, all the other translations will remain the same. It's just that the visitors from your website will no longer be able to access the translation..."

How can I make sure that the contents DISPLAYED are NOT messy with translations and original language mixing like the one you saw in the top part of the image attached earlier when opening this ticket?

My objective is to temporarily stop using the language translation, but the translations done will be restored/reused in the future after the WPML customization codes are written for my site. How can I achieve that?

Thank you. Awaiting your reply.

August 6, 2019 at 10:20 am #4346247

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

Before you deactivate the WPML plugin (and its add-ons), can you go to Dashboard → WPML → Settings and make sure that all the custom fields, post types, and taxonomies are set to Translatable - only show translated items, please?
Also, can you tell me if this ads categories block is the only element that displays content from the secondary language, even after you deactivate the WPML plugin, please? I want to see if the issue is maybe related only to this section.

Thanks,
Radu

August 6, 2019 at 6:55 pm #4350081

hlaingM

Hi,

I did what you suggested by setting them to the leftmost column "Translable-only show translated items".

After deactivating the WPML plugins, I see some of the contents are displayed in the 2nd language in the individual ads on the home page. For instance, if you look at the ad "Mazda Demio 2008" on the home page, the ad category is displaying the 2nd language, though it was submitted while English switch WAS ON. But, the messiest part is the ad-categories block on the home page where English and the translations are mixed.

Awaiting your reply.

August 12, 2019 at 10:34 am #4380081

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

Can you give me access to the dashboard area so I can have a closer look at this, please? I tried to use the same credentials I used a while ago but it's no longer working. I just want to have a look at the content and see why is the content from the secondary language appearing when deactivating WPML.

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

August 13, 2019 at 8:13 am #4385751

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

When you deactivate the WPML plugin, the content is not removed or anything like that. All the content remains untouched. I think that the option that you can use for what you're looking for is to hide some languages. This way, the content from the front-end will no longer display the content from other languages. I just did this for you (by going to Dashboard → WPML → Languages → Hide languages). You can check the website now and have a look in the front-end. As you can see, any visitor will see now only the English content, just like you wanted. Can you have a look, please?

Thanks,
Radu

August 14, 2019 at 5:39 am #4392481

hlaingM

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!