Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 22, 2020 at 11:14 am

cesarZ-3

The custom fields are created with Toolset and they are losing their values on the translated post type, when a change is done to the original product.

September 22, 2020 at 11:56 am
September 22, 2020 at 2:04 pm #7070255

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Cesar,

I wasn't able to find out why is this happening.

In this case, I created a clean website here:
hidden link

Please access it, quickly configure WPML and WooCommerce, create the same custom fields, and tell me if the values of the custom fields are still going away while changing the price or SKU.

I just want to see if this is happening on a clean website too. If yes, then I'll have to pass this to my colleagues so they can check things out. If the issue is not happening in this case, I'll need to grab a copy of your website and pass it to my colleagues to see what's going on.

But first, please tell me how things work on this clean website.

Thanks,
Radu

September 23, 2020 at 7:39 am #7076891

cesarZ-3

Hi Radu,

Thanks for following up. I configured a test field on a test product. As soon as I update the price or sku in the original language, the field in the second language looses its data.

You can try for yourself as well of course.

Please let me know what the next steps are, thanks!

September 23, 2020 at 9:00 am #7077697

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

Thank you for taking the time to create the custom field and the product on the test website. I checked this out too and I can see the issue.

Now, I passed this to my colleagues to see if there's any option that I'm missing maybe. I will keep you posted about this as soon as I have any update from my colleagues (which shouldn't take long).

Thanks,
Radu

September 23, 2020 at 9:23 am #7077929

cesarZ-3

Hi Radu,

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Cesar

September 23, 2020 at 10:40 am #7078661

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

Sure, I will come back here as soon as I have a reply from my colleagues.

Thanks,
Radu

September 24, 2020 at 7:22 am #7086911

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

It looks like this is a compatibility issue between WPML and Toolset so I had to escalate this to the compatibility team in order to check this out a bit closer (on the code side).

I will keep you posted about the progress we're making on this issue.

Thanks,
Radu

September 24, 2020 at 7:36 am #7087097

cesarZ-3

Hi Radu,

Thanks! When this is fixed, will there be something like a code snippet or do we have to wait for an update?

We're kind of the bottleneck for our client in a pretty big automation process..

Thanks, Cesar

September 24, 2020 at 8:47 am #7088405

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

Most probably the fix will be included in the next plugin update. However, we are always looking for coming with a workaround (when possible) so you don't have to wait for the update.

That's why I said that I will keep you posted about the progress we're making on this 🙂

Thanks,
Radu

September 24, 2020 at 11:18 am #7089887

cesarZ-3

Hi Radu,

I appreciate that, thanks for keeping me posted!

Thanks, Cesar

September 24, 2020 at 1:08 pm #7091683

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

Sure, no problem 🙂

Regards,
Radu

September 25, 2020 at 12:21 pm #7099401

Radu
Supporter

Hey Cesar,

I checked this out and it seems that this issue is already on our list. For now, in order to make sure that the content of the custom field is not lost on the translation, you need to use the WPML translation editor (not the WordPress editor) when adding a translation.

I connected this ticket to the issue on our list so I can keep you posted about the progress we're making on this.

Thanks,
Radu

September 25, 2020 at 12:43 pm #7099515

cesarZ-3

Hi Radu,

Thanks for your reply. If I enable translation editor, each product is turned into 60+ empty strings, so it's not really practical to be adding those now.

Is it possible to turn on the same SKU for different languages without losing any custom field data?

Then we would use this editor until your team is ready to ship the update. Are you able to estimate if we're talking about days or weeks of waiting time?

Thanks, Cesar

September 28, 2020 at 4:22 pm #7117455

cesarZ-3

Just checking in. Is there a way to enable the same SKU once, without losing any data? Then we'd wait with changing any product content until this is fixed.

Thanks, Cesar