Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have separate pages for each languages, yet the "Update" (circled arrow) icon keeps appearing.

Solution: That's an expected behaviour of the plugin. you can ignore it, it will not break anything or ruins your current translations.

0% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by magnusS-9 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
December 19, 2018 at 9:09 am #3015367

magnusS-9

Hi!

I tried to respond to our previous support-thread by i think it's closed.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/possible-to-have-different-content-in-different-languages/

Ok so I have built a couple of pages in one language (english) and I would like to add multiple instances of these pages but then translate them manually into other languages. We are using Elementor as our page builder by the way.

I would like to have for example:
Page 1 (eng)
Page 1 (danish)
Page 1 (swedish)
Page2 (eng)
Page2 (danish)
etc..

I followed this guide and it's working almost as planned but one thing keeps popping up all the time and that's the "update translation" icon.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/translating-content-created-with-page-builders-using-manual-translation/

Let's say i have created the english page, i then make a duplicate page like guide above. Once the duplicate page has been made and saved, if i then go back to the english page and make some corrections the update icon on the danish translation appears.

Why is this? I want the original language and my newly created language to be completely not connected to each other.

If i press this icon I get a message saying:
"Warning: You are trying to edit a translation that is currently in the process of being added using WPML. Please refer to the Translation Management dashboard for the exact status of this translation."

Hopefully you understand what i'm trying to do, let me know otherwise and i'll try to explain further on 🙂

Best regards,
Emil

December 19, 2018 at 10:30 am #3015841

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

What you describe is an expected behaviour of the plugin but since you have the manual translation mode enabled you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

See, everytime you make even the slightest of changes in the original page, all of the translated "edit" buttons will change to "update" versions, they just mean that there are different "versions" of your site between translations.

If you want to change the "update" button back to the "edit" button, you can just enter the translation and click the "update" button (if you haven't changed anything in the translation, then nothing will change in the page).

You could also unlink the translations, that will definitely make each site independent from each other, but then, the user wouldn't be able to change content from one language to another without first having to re-navigate to the same page in the other language, which i don't believe you'd want (but if you do, let me know and i'll gladly tell you how to do it)

I hope i was clear enough but don't hesitate to ask if you still have any doubt or question about this.

Regards,

Alejandro

December 19, 2018 at 11:36 am #3016135

magnusS-9

Thank you! Then i'll just ignore that little button 🙂