Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jean-paulS 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
April 19, 2019 at 9:17 am #3644403

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Jean-Paul,

Yes, I think I need the database credentials, I can get from you wp-config files. I have enabled the private fields. Please share the FTP details.

Kind regards
Raja

April 19, 2019 at 11:12 am
April 19, 2019 at 2:03 pm #3646269

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hey Jean-paul,

I am unable to access your server with the provided FTP details, I have checked with my colleagues they are also not able to access and got "connection timed out" issue. can you please check if it is valid? Please edit your previous response with updated details.

Kind regards
Raja

April 19, 2019 at 3:38 pm #3647097

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,
I made a new FTP account, but I can't find the secure fields anymore to send them. The link in your previous email doesn't lead to them anymore

April 19, 2019 at 4:07 pm #3647411

jean-paulS

I found the secure fields and updated the details

April 22, 2019 at 4:48 am #3653915

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi, Jean-paul,

Thanks for your patience, The issue seems to be related to the plugin the cookie law page is registered as a page which is set to translate and it's registering the string multiple time and hence it's being overwritten. I have cleared the duplicate string and changed the setting for cookie law page to not translate so that the string is handled only in WPML > String Translation.

Please check whether you can reproduce the issue now, I have tried a few updates but unable to reproduce the issue after the changes.

Please note as a security measure I have removed the database plugin from your site 🙂

Let me know the results.

Kind regards
Raja

April 22, 2019 at 7:55 am #3654307

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,
When visiting my site, the widgets were indeed in the right language, but the "read more" button wasn't translated. When looking at the Cookie Law settings and String translation pages, I saw that only the main text (This website uses cookies...) was in English. So in Cookie Law settings, I put the English texts again, and in String translation, I renewed the page so it was back in English. Because the "Translation needs update", the button was still in Dutch instead of English on the EN page. So I checked the "Translation is complete" boxes + saved them, and everything was ok now. But then I refreshed the string translation page and all the strings switched back to NL again. (The Cookie settings remain in EN). Maybe the wrong settings for the plugin were set back somehow?
Kind regards

April 22, 2019 at 12:58 pm #3655775

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jean-paul,

The issue here is very much related to the cookie law plugin, it's registering multiple strings for the message text. Please record (screencast) the steps you tried I will try to escalate this. Also, please check with the plugin author if they have any solutions or workaround as far as I see the plugin is not compatible that might be the reason the strings are not handled properly.

Kind regards
Raja

April 23, 2019 at 8:28 am #3660567

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,
I made two videos in MP4 format, but can't upload them. Is there a way to send them to you?
Kind regards
Jean-Paul

April 23, 2019 at 2:12 pm #3664561

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jean-paul,

Please upload the video to G-Drive or Dropbox, Share the URL here with us. I have also enabled the next reply as private if you wish to share the video privately.

Kind regards
Raja

April 23, 2019 at 3:09 pm #3665297

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,

To upload to G-Drive or Dropbox, I need a paid plan for Screencast-o-matic, which I don't have. So I uploaded it to screencast itself with this title: "WPML strings from EN to NL" and the following password: "WPMLstrings" - URL is hidden link

On the video, I begin with checking the strings in the Cookie Law Settings, and then I check the widgets on both pages, Englisch and Dutch. Everything is ok. Then I go to the String Translation page and see that the translations need to be updated. After updating the strings, the widget on the English page is in Dutch now, and renewing the strings shows they are in Dutch.
I hope this will be enough to show the problem.

I don't know what you mean by "as far as I see the plugin is not compatible." I choose this plugin because on their website they say its WPML compatible. And on the WPML website I found this:

Home » Certified plugins » GDPR Cookie Consent
Compatibility between GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and WPML
Version 2.1.9 Last tested on: 16/Apr/2019
Compatible with WPML, Tested by WPML Team. No new changes affecting the compatibility confirmed by the author

So I think it would be better if you or one of your colleagues should contact the plugin author, also because I can't explain all the technical details you told me (because I don't really understand them all).

Kind regards,

Jean-Paul

April 24, 2019 at 7:52 am #3669901

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

HI jean-paul,

Thank you very much for the steps, I think I have overlooked the plugin compatibility, as you have mentioned it is tested and added to our compatibility list. Please apologize.

I can reproduce the issue in a fresh install but it happens randomly and not happening at every update.

I am escalating this issue now, Thank you for your patience. I will update you soon once i hear from our second tier of supporters

Kind regards
Raja

April 28, 2019 at 7:34 pm #3698851

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,
I was wondering if someone of the second tier of supporters needs access to my website the following days. I have an issue with my theme, and the support at Elegant Themes would like to have access to my site too. So I would temporarily close the login for WPML. Is that OK? Just let me know when you need access again.
Kind regards,
Jean-Paul

April 29, 2019 at 8:51 am #3701271

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Jean-Paul,

That would be okay, we have isolated the issue in the sandbox and recorded the steps for the second tier. I will update you once I hear from them. Thanks for your cooperation

Kind regards
Raja

June 11, 2019 at 8:45 am #3993355

jean-paulS

Hi Raja,
Don’t know if someone of the second tier of supporters already looked at the issue, but I think I found the cause of it. In WPML settings, GDPR Cookie Consent was set to “Translatable – only show translated items.” I changed it to “Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to default language,” and now the translation remains stable. It's that simple 🙂
So, I think this is resolved.
Thanks, and have a nice day.