Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Is there a way to reuse translations in other websites?

Solution: If you want to save and reuse some of your string translations for other projects, you should save them in a po file. You can manually create this po file with all the strings and their translations and then save it to a mo formatted file to use in your site (uploading it in your theme directory for example), of you can also use WPML>String Translation to export and import the translations from/to po files.

Here's more information about WordPress localization: https://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers#POT_files

An about String Translation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martineG-3 4 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bernat Torras.

Author Posts
June 26, 2017 at 9:15 am #1305425

martineG-3

I'm translating our dutch projects to english and french using WPML.
Some fields like the categories and tags are, nce translated, automaically showing up in new translations, so you doesn't have to translate those fields again.

However, some fields which are used in each project, like button text fields have to be
translated again and again.
for example :
* lees meer > read more > en lire plus
* projectbeschrijving > project description > description de projet
* projectdetals > project details > details de projet

Where can i set those translation for once, so that the will be filled in automatically.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Tony

June 26, 2017 at 10:19 am #1305494

Bernat Torras

Hi Tony,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

If you want to save and reuse some of your string translations for other projects, you should save them in a po file. You can manually create this po file with all the strings and their translations and then save it to a mo formatted file to use in your site (uploading it in your theme directory for example), of you can also use WPML>String Translation to export and import the translations from/to po files.

Here's more information about WordPress localization: https://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers#POT_files

An about String Translation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Bernat

June 27, 2017 at 10:49 am #1306446

martineG-3

Hi Bernat,

Thanks for the feedback.
I've read the page about string translation and opened the WPML > String Translation
I see that the strings needed are translated, but they are not automatically filled in within new posts.

Should i select the strings and then export thm to the .po or .pot file?
I'm afraid that it will overwrite other translations.

Tony

string-translations.jpg
June 28, 2017 at 11:38 am #1307479

Bernat Torras

Hi Tony,

I see that these strings are defined in your page contents, right? They seem strings added in Page Builder while generating the contents of each page... If this is the case, maybe you won't be able to reuse them in another site, as these strings are attached to specific pages (with their unique ID). If you import them, they'll only be useful if you use the same content and page ID in your new sites.

In any case, you can try to export them to a po file and then import them to the new site's String Translation. It would only replace a translation if there's already one string registered in WPML>String Transaltion with the same content and domain. Just in case, I'd suggest you to generate a backup of your database before importing the strings.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 29, 2017 at 8:55 am #1308244

martineG-3

OK Bernat,
Thanks for clearing this out.
Tony