This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.85 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

How can I translate the anchors (section id)

Solution:

It is better not to translate the anchor. Please note that it is only the anchor tag in the URL that shows this ID and probably the site's users will not notice it. I think that it is also important not to translate the ID to preserve CSS consistency.

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
March 31, 2018 at 4:45 pm #1561626

toudM

Hello WPML,

I am using a custom menu which assures the navigation to page sections (i created anchors).
The wpml allows me to translate the menu but doesn't allow me to translate the section id (the anchors).
You can see here the sources page hidden link and here the translated page hidden link.

I need somehow to translate the page section id but is not visible. How can i make it visible for translator?
Thank you!

Alexandru

April 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm #1562694

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hello, Alexandru.

I'm not sure that you can translate the ID of the element.
But maybe I can look and ask if there is a way to do it.
Can you explain to me how do insert the original ID 'decenoi' for example?
This must be the key to the answer if it is translatable.
Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

But I would also kindly like to ask you why do you bother to translate the ID?
Do you have any specific cause that makes it important for you to translate the ID?
I ask it because I think that it can stay 'decenoi' for example also in the second language and the menu will work fine if you get what I mean.

Regards,
Itamar.

April 3, 2018 at 9:37 am #1563116

toudM

Hello,

I want to translate them because is strange to have them in other language in the url.

Alexandru

April 4, 2018 at 10:05 am #1564588

Ankit

Hi Alexandru,

This is Ankit from WPML support team, I will assist you as Itamar is away.

As far as I can see you wish to translate the hash fragment of menu (like #why, #vision etc.), please confirm if this is the case.

Also, please let me know where in custom menu you have inserted these hash fragments?

I would also request you consider providing me with temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply (See attachment). The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

April 25, 2018 at 10:29 am #1806492

steffiS

Hi Ankit, I have got the same problem. Can you please provide the solution how to translate id sections so that the new anchor menu (sticky menu) links to that section? To translate the menue links is not the problem, but the section where the link is set to. Thank you i advance, Steffi

September 8, 2018 at 9:29 pm #2717194

tonN

I have the same problem, so if there is a solution that would be a great help

October 15, 2018 at 2:58 pm #2818014

reneeF-2

Hi, I'm also facing this same problem. Any solution?

October 16, 2018 at 10:36 am #2820593

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

The user that opened this ticket excepted my idea not to translate the ID.
Please note that it is only the anchor tag in the URL that shows this ID and probably the site's users will not notice it.
I think that it is also important not to translate the ID to preserve CSS consistency.

If you still need help with this issue, then please open a new ticket in our support forum as this ticket is marked as resolved.

Thanks,
Itamar.