This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
August 22, 2019 at 1:21 am

frankS-55

I am trying to: have Ukrainian translation button in main navigation menu on ALL pages.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: the Ukrainian translation button as seen on the main navigation menu on Home page.

Instead, I got: the main navigation menu but without any translation options.

Immigration and Work Visas page, Business Immigration page and Contact page are all missing the translation option in main navigation. But the Home and About page display the option.

Also: all pages properly show the translation option in main navigation when logged into WordPress and viewing the site.

August 22, 2019 at 2:22 am #4435629

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

Are you talking about this language selector? Do you want only the Ukrainian language selector to be displayed?

If this is not what you are asking, can you please elaborate a little more so I can better understand? Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit so if you like make use of "upload an image" below the comment area.

Thank you.

August 22, 2019 at 3:06 am #4435959

frankS-55

Thank you Bruno--sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm talking about the language selector (not a 'button' I guess). I don't care if it says English/Ukrainian, side by side or drop-down, flag present or not. The issue is that the selector displays properly on two of my pages (Home and About pages), but it is not appearing at all on any of the other pages... with one exception: if I'm viewing the pages while signed into WordPress, I CAN see the language selector on ALL pages. But if I'm not signed into WordPress admin, I ONLY see the selector on the Home and About pages. It needs to be displayed in the navigation consistently across every single page that has been translated--and those pages have indeed been translated.

Thank you,
Frank

August 22, 2019 at 2:06 pm #4440069

frankS-55

Additional details: this theme is built upon KingComposer. The pages who are correctly displaying the language selector are the ones that were originally imported as demo pages which I then edited. And they may be pages that existed before I installed the WPML plugin and began translating. If I use the Duplicate Post plugin and 'clone' a page that is correctly displaying the language selector, the newly cloned copy does not display the language selector at all, *even if I confirm that the page is 100% translated.

I created a new post by using 'add new' to test if possibly the Duplicate Post plugin is involved. I translated the post (named "test-post") and then viewed it in a browser that was NOT logged into WordPress and it displayed the language selector properly. Note that this new post WAS edited using the KingComposer site builder tools. I created a test Page the same way (using 'add new' not 'clone page') and it also displayed the language selector.

So, I tried using a different plugin for cloning pages. Instead of the Duplicate Post plugin, I installed and tested the Duplicate Page plugin. I have had some success duplicating pages that were properly displaying the language selector using the Duplicate Page plugin, but I need to do further tests to see if this depends on whether the KingComposer shortcodes are involved.

My next test is to take a successfully duplicated page (with Duplicate Page plugin) whose language selector works, and then strip out it's content and replace it with the content of a page that currently is NOT properly displaying the language selector...

August 22, 2019 at 11:03 pm #4443109

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

>>> The issue is that the selector displays properly on two of my pages (Home and About pages), but it is not appearing at all on any of the other pages... with one exception: if I'm viewing the pages while signed into WordPress, I CAN see the language selector on ALL pages

By default, WPML will only display the language selector if the page is translated or duplicated and published. If the page is like Draft, then the language selector should only be displayed if the user is logged in.

If you would like to display the language selector even without translation, you can follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > Languages > Language switcher options
- Select the "Link to home of language for missing translations" option

This will make the language selector appear even without translation. For pages that are translated and published and not yet displaying the language selector, you can try the steps below:

- WPML > Support > Troubleshooting:
-- Clear the cache in WPML
-- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
-- Fix element_type collation
-- Set language information
-- Fix post type assignment for translations

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.