This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  oscarM-16 5 years, 5 months ago. The support staff assigned to this topic is sarah.n.

Author Posts
Author Posts
March 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm #108614

Sami

Hi. Lot's of themes use Theme Customizer nowadays and data can come from get_theme_mod. Let's say I have a theme and I use front page callout in my Theme Customizer. I can get the data with get_theme_mod( 'callout_text' ) but how do I translate that data (text string) in the front end?

March 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm #108638

sarah.n
Forum moderator

Supporter languages: English (English )

Hello Sami,

Theme customizations are saved in the options table so what you need to do is create a configuration file as shown here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

This will register the text strings for translation under the "String Translation" screen (requires the "WPML String Translation" add-on)

<wpml-config>
<admin-texts>
<key name="theme_mods_twentyeleven">
<key name="callout_text" />
</key>
</admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

Replace twentyeleven in the above with the value saved in get_option( 'stylesheet' ) in your options table.

Let me know how you get on with this.

March 4, 2013 at 3:20 pm #108669

Sami

Thanks.

Hmmm I can see and translate strings in the String translation but in the front end there is still original language.

I placed .xml file in my child theme root folder.

March 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm #108707

sarah.n
Forum moderator

Sami,

Can you please confirm that you are using the latest version of everything?

You can check the latest released versions under "My Account -> Downloads" on this site. Should there be a need to update, instructions to update can be found here: http://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#2

Let me know if the issue persists after the update.

March 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm #108709

Sami

Yes I just updated everything and all version numbers match the latest version.

March 4, 2013 at 4:35 pm #108713

Sami

And I made the updates before I created .xml file.

March 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm #108724

sarah.n
Forum moderator

Sami, I have sent you an email to request some further information that will help me assist you further.

March 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm #108812

Sami

Just a quick note. The same problem is with theme settings: I can see and translate strings in backend, but translations doesn't show up in front end. This is my test file in localhost.

<wpml-config>

<admin-texts>

<key name="theme_mods_foxnet2013">

<key name="callout_text" />

</key>

<key name="hopeareunus_theme_settings">

<key name="footer_insert" />

</key>

</admin-texts>

</wpml-config>

And in database table wp_icl_string_translations I can see those translations.

March 5, 2013 at 6:34 am #108877

sarah.n
Forum moderator

I got your email reply Sami with the temporary admin access, thanks!

I do need also temporary FTP login credentials so if you would kindly provide that by replying to the original email I would appreciate it. Thank you!

March 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm #109176

Sami

I found a compromise to my problem. I can use excerpt text in english page instead of get_theme_mod data.

I let you know if I find a solutions to original problem.

March 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm #109194

sarah.n
Forum moderator

Just in case someone else may find this thread and would like to know how to get Theme Mods registered to String Translation here's a solution:

Use icl_translate() to register and display the string.

echo icl_translate('Theme Mod', 'callout_text', get_theme_mod( 'callout_text' ));

This function requires WPML String Translation to be active (so don't expect it to work on installs without the add-on).

Make sure that the first parameter is always 'Theme Mod', the second the modification setting and the third the WordPress call get_theme_mod($name)

Hope this is useful to someone.

March 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm #109200

Sami

Thanks!

March 6, 2013 at 7:54 am #109315

sarah.n
Forum moderator

You are welcome 🙂

March 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm #830401

davideD-4

Hi, is this solution still working? I tried using that code but can't find theme customizer strings into String Translation 🙁

March 7, 2016 at 3:09 pm #831823

davideD-4

Great! It solved,
please user pay attention to nesting rules!

<key name="theme_mods_yourthemename">