Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Alessandro 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
April 19, 2016 at 10:22 am #864235

peterJ-16

I am trying to: create many pages with mostly identical information and layout, so I made and saved a layout in the Divi library, clicked the "translate layouts" box and translated the layout into 4 languages and saved it in the Divi library. Then, when I make a new page, I want to insert the premade layout but when I do, the new page shows it as untranslated.

I read on your "Build a multilingual site with the Divi theme" that "There is another workflow you can use; this one is a bit more complicated, but gives you the advantage of translating more quickly when you have many pages that use the same layout". I followed the steps there, but it isnt clear. At the end it says "Note that using this method, you can translate prebuilt Divi layouts or ones you created and saved to be used for many pages, making your translation work a lot faster."

can you clarify this with better steps?

Do I have to make a layout in the library in the base language and sent that to the Translation Basket ? Am I expected to copy and paste the complete strings that I get from the translation management ?

URL of (my) website where problem appears: not posted yet

I expected to see: to be able to translate one page, save it to the Divi library and duplicate it to make many pages, instead of having to translate each page from zero when it is often identical layout.

Instead, I got: when I make a new project and click "load from library" to take the premade layout, it tells me it isnt translated.

Steps to duplicate the issue:

April 20, 2016 at 7:00 am #864994

Dat Hoang

#1,
Please go to WPML > Support > Debug Information and give me the information in the next reply. You can read the detailed instruction here: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

#2,

Do I have to make a layout in the library in the base language and sent that to the Translation Basket ? Am I expected to copy and paste the complete strings that I get from the translation management ?

As I understand "Layout" in Divi provides a way to help you have many pages with the same layout.
With our guide in https://wpml.org/2015/05/build-a-multilingual-site-with-the-divi-theme/ , you can translate these layouts in WPML > Translations.

However in your case, you're duplicating layouts and create new ones based on the original layouts, right?
If so, you still need to translate the new layouts again.

#3,
It's really better if you can provide us some screenshots to show the issue?

April 20, 2016 at 9:03 am #865106

peterJ-16

yes, The purpose of Divi layouts library is to save layouts or sections to use again and again.
I have alot of product pages that are mainly the same text, but different images, so I want to translate the layout, as I can, and insert it into my new pages.

It says in your link "Note that using this method, you can translate prebuilt Divi layouts or ones you created and saved to be used for many pages, making your translation work a lot faster.
"

thanks for your help

DIVI 5.png
DIVI 4.png
DIVI 3.png
DIVI 2.png
DIVI 1.png
April 20, 2016 at 11:41 am #865294

peterJ-16

when I follow your steps
1. Go to WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup.
2. Choose Custom Types > Mark Layouts as “Translate”
I dont see "mark layouts as translatable" (see screenshot), but I see it on the bottom of each Divi layout, so I ticked it there.

then in step 4,
4. Go to Translation Management > Translation Dashboard. Mark the required posts and click Add to Translation basket (make sure the “Translate” default option is chosen).
I dont see any "Layouts" in the list. Just Posts, Pages and Projects.. (see screen grab)
so I cannot send a layout to the translation basket.

Divi WPML 3.png
DIVI WPML 2.png
DIVI WPML 1.png
April 21, 2016 at 5:57 am #865933

Dat Hoang

Thanks for your info.

I'm checking again, and getting back to you soon.

April 21, 2016 at 6:34 am #865945

Dat Hoang

It looks like we need the plugin Divi Builder to test this, right?

We have the theme Divi in our repo, but there is no Divi Builder.

Can you please send the theme/plugin in your next private reply?
NOTE:
- You should use a storage service (like Google Drive, Dropbox...) and send the link in the reply.
- Check again and send me the latest version of theme/plugin.

April 22, 2016 at 1:13 pm #867222

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

Since Dat is on holiday, I am taking this ticket, Hope that is Ok.

I can replicate the problem that library layout translations are not working perfectly, I have forward the details to our Themes & Plugins Compatibility Team and they will look into the issue.

We are closing the ticket but we will keep it in our records. You will be notified the moment we have the author’s cooperation in this process or have some details from the compatibility team about the issue.

Thanks

April 28, 2016 at 10:54 am #870976

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I just received an confirmation from our compatibility team that you can translate the layouts from going to layouts and clicking make layouts translatable currently.

The documentation link will be updated with the changes shortly.

And if you want to use the layouts on secondary languages, you also need to load the layouts separately for the language and change the text for modules.

Please let me know if you have still more questions regarding this issue.

Thanks

May 13, 2016 at 7:10 am #881694

peterJ-16

Hello. thanks for the reply.

I did already click the "make layouts translatable" thinking that was the whole point, but it had no effect.

I thought I could make a layout, and translate that layout into 2 or three languages? the page seems to be set up in anticipation for that. then insert the layout into my page with the secondary languages automatically inserted.

If I need to make the layouts seperately for each language, then the "make layouts translatable" button doesnt do anything, as each layout will be a single language.

wouldnt it be better to have the one layout, and be able to flip between the languages on that same layout, all in one place ?

thanks,

May 13, 2016 at 11:23 am #881969

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Wouldn't it be better to have the one layout, and be able to flip between the languages on that same layout, all in one place ?
==> This is not possible right now, as you need to select the layouts for secondary languages separately.

Thanks

April 6, 2018 at 4:34 pm #1567381

Alessandro

Hi,
I have a similar problem using latest Divi, Divi Builder and WPML Plugins.

I built some "Global" layouts (the one with green background) in German language. I set the "Divi Layout" type as translatable and I can duplicate the divi layout in the secondary language (Italian).

It works, but, when I edit an Italian page that is using a global layout (let' s say the header) the default layout (German) will be owerwritten with the Italian one.

This is a big problem since I have some global layouts that basically are the same except some texts and images.

Any idea how to resolve this?
Thanks