This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by christineV-2 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 1, 2019 at 10:39 pm #3512107

christineV-2

In the older versions of WPML, I could duplicate a page and then there was a "Translate Independently" button at the top and it would not synchronize the content and therefore nothing ever got overwritten. It was marvelous and I never had issues.

NOW if I duplicate a page with some of your latest versions, I get first :
The language of this page is with a drop down menu to choose from.
Then I get two options
1. Copy Content form Canada English
2. Overwrite with English Content

I have 3 languages that should have the same English content:
Canada English
US English
GB English
They need to be separate languages

I have 2 languages that should have the same French content:
Canada French
Europe French
They need to be separate languages

I'm not sure what to do so the French doesn't get overwritten by the English.
I've encountered different issues.

Please tell me the exact steps I need to take.

In my opinion I would :
1. Translate the 2 English ones from the Canada English and overwrite them with main Canada English content so they are synchronized.
2. Duplicate Canada English to Canada French
3. Here we use to translate independenty but now I think we need to click Copy content from Canada English. This way I save time with the blocks of Avia builder Enfold theme and not start page from scratch and translate it into French myself directly in the page not using String Translation for pages. (I think it may force me to use String translation for pages, which it did in the previous site I was building)
4. OR is it better to create an Canada English Avia Builder Template then to copy content from English?
5. It is VERY important that the English version never ever overwrites the French
5. Lastly I would Translate Canada French page to create the Europe French page.

(No debug to provide as I have not started creating the pages yet for this site)

April 1, 2019 at 11:16 pm #3512143

christineV-2

I found a way to the Translate Independently Button
BUT It shouldn't be done that way.

1. I created an Canada English page
2. Duplicated it to CA French
3. Did not copy content nor publish the CA French
4. Left without saving
5. Went back to CA English (where the CA English pages are listed)
6. Clicked the icon flag of CA French
7. Inside the Translate Independently button appeared.

???

April 2, 2019 at 2:00 am #3512461

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

The translate independently button should always and only be available inside the page/post editor sidebar at language options, if you are on the post/page that has been duplicated from a Original. Now, as long the Original content receives an update it will overwrite the translated/duplicated content, unless you undo this connectivity by selecting "translate independently".

Let´s say you are on a Original Canadian English Page and you duplicate it in all the other languages. You can now change the language of the page in the top admin bar. It might be convenient to leave the connectivity for American and Britisch English and adjust minor changes manually, but if you update the Canadian English content it will overwrite any English content.

Did I understand right, that the option is not available once you changed the admin bar language to a post/page that has been duplicated? If yo I would need to have aloook at your site. Would this be convenient for you?

I would advise you to not translate manually and use the WPML Classic Translation Editor instead. This way every content is translated independently and you can use the Editors interface to translate each string individually.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

You can enable the Classic Translation Editor at WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

Could you please verify if WPML and its add-ons are updated to the latest version
and let us know if the issue persists?
Before doing it, please create a reliable backup of your site.

To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this su
pport ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards
Andreas

April 2, 2019 at 11:07 pm #3521083

christineV-2

Thanks for your response.
After duplicating, the "translate independently" button was nowhere to be found.
I had issues with the Advanced or Classic Translating Editor and String Translation.
When I translated a page it opened the editor right as a popup, but not all blocks where there.
Had to go through string translation for everything and then some id ones I couldn't easily find.
Some pages had the wheel icon and I couldn't publish them either...

NOW I rebuilt a new site again and upgraded WP to 5.1.1 and the classic editor plugin.
All WPML most recent updates and enfold theme most recent also. (Which I had before also)
The only thing I left out is that I didn't activate Translation Management plugin as I never use it.

NO more issues with being forced to use the Advanced or Classic Translator Editor for page content.
The few pages I've created and translated seem to not get overwritten anymore.
That was my biggest issue and it was happening when I used the + to translate, not duplicate, even if I used the button copy content from FR.
This was the reason I had decided to use Duplicate instead and to translate independently.
I was getting the run around from these issues all the time.
In the new site, that is no longer an issue and I translate with + and it seems fine.

FYI
You quoted: "You can enable the Classic Translation Editor at WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages."
That was not available as a choice under WPML - Settings (even before the upgrade to WP 5.1.1)
Settings has only these choices:
Posts and pages synchronization
Slug translations
Post Types Translation
Media Translation

Thanks (sorry for long post) 🙂

April 2, 2019 at 11:15 pm #3521085

christineV-2

Since the post is about translation help, I have a few questions for Media Translation.

I read the documentation on media translation, but I need confirmation for SEO purposes as to what happens when images get duplicated in each language.

I understand that one image is uploaded once and it uses the same image for the other languages.
I usually translate title and alt text for SEO.

Question 1: Does duplicating the image automatically tag it as being in another language?
Question 2: Isn't it better to have a different image file name for each language for SEO purposes?
Question 3: In what case should I not use Media Translation?
Question 4: Can you provide more detailed info on setting Media Translation in WPML Settings on top of what is in this doc?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

Also in a page itself on the righthand sidebar there are two choices ticked off:
1. Duplicate uploaded media from original
2. Duplicate featured image from original

Question 5: Are these choices there only to overwrite the Settings for that page?
Thanks

April 3, 2019 at 9:28 pm #3530539

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Did you already include all your plugins from the old site into the new one? You might export/import your database and keep on working on the new site. Plugins like WP Migrate DB can be helpful for this task:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-migrate-db/

Let me know if you experience any issues.

The Translation Mangement Plugin needs to be active to expand the options for WPML and to use the Classic and Advanced Translation Editor.

For images on translated posts/pages/products WPML does not create a physical duplicate. The information are only saved inside the database where the files are tagged for each language.

When using Media Translation instead you got the option to include a replacement image which in fact would be a physical image. In case you are not planing to replace different images for different images you would not need the Media Translation Plugin. If it would be helpful for SEO reasons, to replace any image I am not sure, but the image title and alt text are defining here the most important part and this is translated with WPML.

https://wpml.org/2018/06/important-changes-in-how-media-translation-works-since-wpml-4-0/

Now for the question about the media attachment setting you can find these options:

1. Duplicate uploaded media from original
2. Duplicate featured image from original

While translating manually or with one of the Translation Editors the first one duplicates any media visible on the page while the second option will only let you duplicate the featured image and nothing more.

I hope this answered your questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2019 at 9:59 pm #3530577

christineV-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!