This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 5, 2019 at 4:07 pm #4152713

emelieC

Hello,

O have selected the option to Translate Link Target, but instead of doing it in increments, it tries to do 90000+ strings at once, using up all memory until all shuts down.

I run 8 GB memory and normally all processes are handled well, if coded smartly,

What are your suggestions at this stage?

Please have a look at this image: hidden link

Hope you can help me!

Thanks!

Marcus

July 6, 2019 at 12:49 am #4154203

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. That should not take all the memory. WPML does this batch (10 out of 10) to prevent the memory from being consumed entirely - in fact, the consumption should be very low.

As a test, please as a test, could you disable all non-WPML plugins, switch to the default theme and see if the problem persists?

After following these steps, try again following the same steps and see if this works correctly.

Thank you.

July 6, 2019 at 5:23 pm #4156209

emelieC

The site is live.

I have run already half of them 45000.

But when I reload the page it starts from 0.

You know as well I dont need to deactivate any plugins for this.

July 8, 2019 at 4:42 pm #4164401

Bruno
Supporter

Well, when you start the process again it will start from scratch. That is, this will start from scratch. You do not need to press this button every time as well. This is only when some change is made to your site. If you have many pages, strings and many links this list is expected to be really huge.

Also, when I asked you to disable all the plugins to test it is because you said that "it tries to do 90000+ strings at once, using up all memory until all shuts down.".

As I explained above, WPML goes from 10 - 10. Not all at once. If this gets stuck then yes, you will need to test disabling all non-WPML plugins to see the behavior. If this is being updated every X seconds, then you should simply wait.

Since this process is done in batch, so if you have many strings, it is expected to take a while, but it should not consume all the memory nor shut down.

Thank you.

July 11, 2019 at 10:51 am #4188843

emelieC

Ok, I will try doing this during the night.

Just a question, isn't sticky links actually doing the exact same thing? How are they different?

Thanks!

July 11, 2019 at 5:48 pm #4192383

Bruno
Supporter

They are two different things. While Sticky Links will convert the URL to use the page ID or post ID, the "Translate Link Targets" will add the translated URL to the translated content.

That is, the goal of Sticky Links is to convert URLs to use the page ID. That way, even if you change the page's slug, WPML will know by ID what the slug is, even if it changes. This way you avoid broken links. You can see more in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/sticky-links/

On the other hand, the purpose of "Translate Link Targets" is precisely to use the translated URL for the translations (in posts and strings). That way, a link that is pointing at the translated page to the original content, the WPML will try to convert to the link pointing to the translated version.

Thank you.

July 18, 2019 at 9:18 am #4236533

emelieC

Ok,

But is there a need to use both?

I am thinking that if Translate link targets is not working, I could try with Sticky links instead?

Kind regards,

Marcus

July 22, 2019 at 11:59 pm #4261749

Bruno
Supporter

>>> I am thinking that if Translate link targets is not working, I could try with Sticky links instead?

There are different options, but you can check if this will work as expected. Please, note again that the goal of Sticky Links is to convert URLs to "?p=123", while "Translate Link Target" is only to use translated links within translated posts/pages. That is, you will need to test to see if this will work as you would like.

Perhaps this might work as you want, but it will even convert the links from the original content to "?p=123" on the backend. So the process may even take a little longer.

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translate Link Target is huge’ is closed to new replies.