This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 11, 2018 at 10:25 am #2807592

Kenneth

Hi,

I want to make a website multilingual in english and dutch. The default is english and I am using the theme Houzez. In this theme you have properties. For the translation I am wondering what the best method is: 1. translate the property or 2. duplicate the property?
What is the difference?

Website is: hidden link

Regards,
Kenneth

October 11, 2018 at 2:59 pm #2808790

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi Kenneth,
Welcome to WPML support!
I'll try to answer your question as simple as i can.

In a nutshell, the difference between "Duplicate" and "Translate" is that:
1) With the "Duplicate" option you're creating an exact clone of the original page/post, so every time you update the original, the duplicate will be updated as well.

2) With the "Translate" option you're making a new page/post that is associated to the original page/post. It will be independent from the original one when it comes to the content but it will still be the "translation" of that page, so it will show every time an user checks the translated content of that page.

Once you know this, you can select the one that better suits your purpose.

I did notice, though, that you haven't gone through with the WPML Setup Wizard process, even though WPML is active on your site so, i recommend you finish it before you do anything else.

If you need any help on how to do it, i'd recommend you check the getting started guide we have created:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

Let us know how it goes and don't hesitate to come back if you need more details about this.