This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 31 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by garyA-7 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
August 10, 2019 at 12:38 pm #4375333

garyA-7

Hi, I'm new to WPML and I have adequate knowledge of WordPress, but this is my first time setting up a website in two different languages. Admittedly I have little to zero knowledge of coding and CSS and HTML, etc. I am using the Colorlib free theme, Pixova Lite and I was told by Colorlib that this theme is compatible with WPML. I can see how to translate pages, but it is not obvious how I can translate the contents of the homepage. These details are originally set up by going to > Appearance > Customise. I need to set up the site so the homepage appears in both English and Portuguese. Is it possible to do this? Is there something I'm missing or do I need someone with advanced web development knowledge to do this? I was originally working with a developer to assist me with this website, but he has abandoned the project and I am now left trying to finish the site myself. Thank you.

August 10, 2019 at 8:29 pm #4375931

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

The way to translate those strings really depends on how they have been implemented in the code.

1. Can you please let me know if you tried to go to WPML > String Translation and search for any of the words in those sentences?

Here is some very helpful documentation on how to use the String Translation plugin:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

If it's not there, it could help if you scan the plugin/theme that's generating the strings and then go back to WPML > String Translation and see if the strings show up:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/

2. If you can't find it inside the WPML > String Translation, it might be added as admin text. My guess is that this is what you need to do to find those strings that you mentioned in the message above.

This should be the normal process to translate admin texts:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-theme-options/

If you still can't find it, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

August 12, 2019 at 3:21 pm #4381843

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

You are right, I tried to check in multiple areas and it seems that those strings are not showing anywhere.

I tried to spend some time online to try to find if there is any documentation for translating this theme but it seems there isn't and the theme is also missing from our official WPML-compatible themes directory here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/

I'd suggest you contact the plugin authors and recommend them to join our 'Go Global' program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/) where our Compatibility developers will help them make their plugin 100% compatible with WPML for free.

If you contact them and tell them that you can't translate those fields, they might also give you a workaround and if you can get that from them, it would be very helpful for the other users that might encounter the same issue if you can share it with us here, too.

Usually, those fields are translated from WPML > String Translation > Translate texts in admin screens, but in our case, those strings are not registering at all.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 14, 2019 at 5:44 pm #4396943

garyA-7

I apologise for not responding sooner, I have contacted the developer of the theme and I'm also awaiting their response. I will be back in touch once I have something to feed back.

August 14, 2019 at 9:37 pm #4397735

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and no worries on the delayed response.

Sure, I will be waiting for your response when you have any feedback from the developers.

I will assign the ticket back to you for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 15, 2019 at 6:48 am #4399213

garyA-7

Hi, their technician asked me to try this method in the following link - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-theme-options/ - but since you already investigated the problem, I assume you tried this method?

August 16, 2019 at 9:31 am #4405697

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Yes, I already tried that method, too and I was not able to find the fields.

Can you please ask them to look into it?

Otherwise, what we can do is that I can create a sandbox (testing environment) for you and if you can recreate the issue there, too, then that's when I can forward this to our Compatibility department.

Please let me know which option you would prefer.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 16, 2019 at 9:41 am #4405713

garyA-7

Hi Mihai, I'll ask them to investigate further, although I'm not getting a good feeling about this being resolved. This sandbox sounds interesting, but I'm not at all sure what that is or how I can recreate the issue - I don't know how the issue was created in the first place. It sounds like it'll be beyond my level of expertise.

August 16, 2019 at 3:40 pm #4407319

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I totally understand your questions and I am happy that you presented them to me.

To recreate an issue on a sandbox environment would mean that I set up a WordPress install for you with the WPML plugins installed already and then what I would need from you is to recreate the issue - from what I can see, those strings that we can't find for translation are coming from inside the theme's "Customizer" settings page so what I would need you to do is just install the theme that you are using on your site and then create the homepage with some of the same fields that you have on the live site, that we can't find for translation.

Please let me know if that sounds like something you would be ok doing.

Regarding the guys from the support team you contacted already, that might be very helpful and they might get back to you with a solution so if you are not pressed by time, we could simply wait for a few days and see if they get back to you with a solution (if they do, I would appreciate a lot if you can share the solution in the ticket here, too, so that you can help other people that might be using the same theme) and if they don't get back to you in a few days, we can go through the issue-recreation process.

Please let me know if that sounds like a good plan for you or if you would like us to start with the sandbox process right away.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 17, 2019 at 9:30 am #4409763

garyA-7

Hi Mihai, I should give you some background.

For this particular website I decided to use one of Colorlib's free themes. Since my WP/coding/CSS capabilities are limited, I also managed to establish an understanding with one their developers who agreed to provide me with assistance, privately and out of work hours. However, after months of working with me he has abandoned the job (leaving it unfinished) because he has a new opportunity to pursue. I'm now left to complete the website myself.

The problem is my client requested things to appear on the homepage that were not possible. So the developer added something called a child theme, which I believe allowed him to customise and add elements to the homepage. Because of these edits, I don't know if recreating the site as you suggest will work. WPML would probably work with the original theme that is untouched, but I can't recreate the work done by the developer. I don't know how to.

The strange thing is the same guy who worked with me is the same support technician I am now talking to via the Colorlib support forum. But given his connection to the website, he isn't providing me with any useful advice or insights and he hasn't contacted me privately. It is frustrating and worrying because the original deadline was 31 July, which was extended to 9 August and it still isn't finished. I have a guy in Namibia waiting to take over the website and therefore needs training.

August 19, 2019 at 7:15 am #4413901

garyA-7

The official response from Colorlib... "Good morning Gary. What I know is that theme is WPML compatible, to be honest, I did not try this before. What I can do in this situation is that I will send your problem to the developer to fix it, I will open an issue in our GitHub page but I can't say when it will be resolved. Have you tried free plugin yet? You should start from the free plugin first."

August 19, 2019 at 4:59 pm #4417529

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Thank you very much for sharing this with me and I am really sorry to hear about all of this situation that you are going through.

I remember being in situations like this and it's not a nice place to be in so I can totally understand you.

First of all, I have no idea what is the free plugin the supporter is talking about and I did not use their products too much in the over 10 years that I've been working in this WordPress field.

Usually, when things get forwarded to a developer, it indeed takes more time.

Regarding the child theme, if we would create a sandbox, you could simply go to the files on your hosting panel and copy from the "wp-content/themes" directory both folders (the one that includes the main theme and the child theme) and you can upload those folders to the sandbox server.

If you can give me FTP access (you can add it inside the fields below), I would be more than happy to create a sandbox environment and copy the themes for you.

Kind regards,
Mihai

August 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm #4417695

garyA-7

I have to say, Mihai, your customer service is excellent. You have the ability to bring yourself down to my level, you don't get too technical or confusing and you demonstrate empathy. Thank you. I wish I had engaged you to assist me with websites. Okay, I might sound stupid, but am I right in thinking the FTP access means you need to access the account with the host? If that's correct, it might take a while because I don't have access to this. The client in Namibia has those details, which I can request from him if this is what you need.

August 20, 2019 at 9:49 am #4422289

garyA-7

Hi Mihai, I have the FTP access details now. If you can set up the private response again, I'll input the details for you. Thank you.

August 20, 2019 at 12:26 pm #4423523

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi, that's great, I am enabling the private fields.

And no worries, we all started from somewhere, it's my pleasure to assist you 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai