Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tia 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
February 25, 2016 at 2:54 pm #823507

Jurgen

I am trying to: translate a webshop with a lot of products

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: N/A

Instead, I got: N/A

Steps to duplicate the issue: N/A

This live project has 830 WooCommerce products in 1 language. Some of them have may be 50 or more variations (X colors & Y sizes => a lot of variations for 1 product).

My customer would like to have this website in 3 languages. He will not change the description of each item, he might do that little by little later on. But the most important is that titles around, the buttons, the colors, the emails etc are translated. Photos will always be identical too.

I started the implementation of WPML by duplicating the product via Translation Management. This goes fine for the single products & variable products with a reasonable number of variations (650 of 830 have created in the new languages).
But those high-variation products are blocking the process. The script is just loading (and after a few minutes, it does nothing anymore). If I have a look at the "ongoing" translation, then sometimes the translated product has been created but with only a few or even no variations.

Do you see a solution for this? Or even better, can't this be done without having to copy all products? I can translate everything around the product details like the cart, checkout etc.

February 25, 2016 at 2:57 pm #823511

Jurgen

Forgot to mention that this make me think of the WPML option for blog posts to show only translated items or all items (with post in the default language if not translated).
May be you see a similar solution?

February 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm #824586

Tia

Hello, Jurgen. Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

- When you say "high-variation products" about how many of these products are you doing at once?

- And for the 'high-variation' part, around how many variation entries would you say each product has on average?

- What happens if you try to do about 20 high-variation products at a time instead of all at once?

Can you tell me if you already checked the following? This will help narrow down the issue:

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

A. Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

B. Minimal Set Up ( 1. All plugins except WPML disabled 2. and then Temporarily changing the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen 3. then finally enable all plugins and disable all WPML related ).

C. If the issue is gone after Minimal Set Up steps above, activate each plugin one by one to find out which plugin is causing the issue.

Does the issue still persist when you do each step above?

Thank you in advance for the information above. This will help me come to a faster resolution.

February 29, 2016 at 11:33 am #825837

Jurgen

Hi Tia,

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.

- even when choosing only 1 product to be duplicated (one of these high-variation products), the site stopped responding

- there is a big difference in products, we also have a lot of single products. Some products can have 60/70 or even more than 150 variations

- I always did max 20 products at a time, which was a massive work

WordPress core, WooCommerce & WPML plugins are all up to date. This is a production website so I could not go back to a minimum environment... I even had to remove all duplicated products as the site became extremely slow (1 minute for a page was not an exception). I could not keep the duplicated products in the recycle bin as this resulted into 404 pages when WPML was deactivated. Upon deactivating the WPML plugins, the site was back up to speed in both front and back end.

Isn't there a way to just "translate the labels" (title, description, sizes, categories, buttons,...) without having to make a real copy of the product as a whole?

Thanks!

March 1, 2016 at 12:28 am #826558

Tia

- Please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse through the process again to reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just the first 20 lines or so will do. Please censor sensitive information. I can enable the private box if you want to pass the link from Google Drive or Dropbox instead, just ask me to enable the private box.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translate shop with 800 products and massive number of variations for some’ is closed to new replies.