Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have some taxonomies for Properties >City > Javea-Xabia. Each taxonomy has a YOAST SEO title and meta description. When I try to translate the taxonomy by "Taxonomy translation" I don't have an option to translate SEO titles and meta description.

Solution: You can do it in one of the next ways:

- Translate via WPML String translation, by searching and adding admin text for translation.

- Manually adding translation for each category in each language

- Set global Title and meta description and then translate only these global settings

Relevant Documentation: - https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/ - https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/#translate-global-seo-texts

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by maryanaP 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
January 8, 2021 at 7:03 pm

maryanaP

I need to translate Yoast title and meta description of a Taxonomy

January 8, 2021 at 7:55 pm
January 11, 2021 at 1:16 pm #7816355

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

I have checked your website and the issue you mentioned.

It seems my colleague Mateus already provided you with the correct steps and method "Translate texts in admin screens" as explained in our documentation:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

You can try that method or manually add content to the translated category. When editing taxonomy use the languge switcher on top to switch to translated taxonomy. Then manually add the correct translated Meta Title and Description, I have tested it on your website, and works fine. Image attached.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

Regards,
Drazen

Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg
January 11, 2021 at 1:49 pm #7816651

maryanaP

Thanks for the reply, Dražen Duvnjak!

I think that these options are not entirely suitable. In the first case, only admin fields (which I don't need) are translated.

In the second case, of course, this solves the problem, but it is a lot of work. Perhaps WPML is not working correctly or am I wrong?

Thanks

January 11, 2021 at 3:02 pm #7817499

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

I was informed you need to translate Yoast Title and meta description of taxonomy, which you are adding inside taxonomy admin fields manually, that is why this workflow was suggested.

Maybe there was a bit of misunderstanding here on our side. Let's check and confirm on this one more time to get a clear idea of what issue you are having with WPML and Yoast.

Can you please share an image or video of the issue , what goes wrong and what is the expected results? Please also share step by step guide on how can I check the issue.

I will do my best to help out.

Kind regards,
Drazen

January 11, 2021 at 3:50 pm #7817855

maryanaP

I have some taxonomies for ex Properties >City > Javea-Xabia.
Each taxonomy have YOAST SEO title and meta description (image 1)
when i try translate the taxonomy by "Taxonomy translation" I don't have option for translate SEO titles and meta description (image 2)

Video hidden link

Thanks

hidden link

2.png
1.png
January 12, 2021 at 8:18 am #7822397

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for taking the time to provide and explain the issue.

Yes, that is correct you can not currently translate YOAST SEO title and meta description by "Taxonomy translation".

We are thinking of implementing this in the future, so I advise you to suggest this feature to our developers via next form, to help speed up the process:

- https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

As for the best way to translate it, I am afraid the two way we suggested are the correct and the only way for now:

- translating via WPML String translation, by searching and adding admin text for translation.

FYI - we are planning in the future to show these strings for translation inside WPML String translation without the need to search for them, they will appear out of the box and be ready to translate.

- Manually adding translation for each language

- Another way would be setting global Title and meta description and then translating only these global settings, so you do not have to enter everything in default and translated language -> https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/#translate-global-seo-texts

I hope I was helpful and don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Drazen

January 12, 2021 at 9:24 am #7822853

maryanaP

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!