This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
December 30, 2019 at 12:05 pm #5210943

Martino

Hi there,
I'm trying to add a new ACF Fields group in secondary languages.
I managed to create it for the main language but when i try to duplicate it doesn't "get" the fields in the translated version.

I uploaded 2 images, one for the italian CF group and one for the translated and empty CF group in english.

Please note that the site is big and has already 21 other fields groups that are working correctly with traslated version in english and german so right now I can't select thje first option in the multilingual setup for the custom fields (last screenshot) or I'd lose control over previous CF.

December 30, 2019 at 3:44 pm #5212201

Martino

Upon further analysis on a staging machine I can confirm the problem.
If i switch to "do not make Fields Group translatable" i break all the old content based on translated Fields Group. But if I try to translate the new field group I can do it but it appears empty and no content is editable in the translated CPT where the custom filelds are supposed to be.

If I remember correctly it was possibile to create the CF in the main language and duplicating it in the secondary language would make the fields available. Don't tell me I need to manually recreate the fields in the secondary languages, this would be super time consuming.

Please this is kind of urgent, thanks!

December 31, 2019 at 12:06 am #5213229

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you were experiencing, but this is a known issue that we have. Please read more details about it at the following link and also find there a workaround for this issue.

https://wpml.org/errata/acfml-incompatibility-with-acf-5-8-5-and-newer-updating-field-group-translation-is-not-possible/

The fix supposes to be included in ACF Pro version 5.8.8

Please let me know if you have further questions about this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.

December 31, 2019 at 11:53 am #5215763

Martino

Hi Itamar,
thanks for the reply.

I went on and changed the line as per the article suggestion.
Unfortunately it didn't have any effect on my problem.

This is a brief video with the issue:
hidden link

Just to clarify the issue:
- I've got a new ACF Fields Group in italian
- The ACF Fields Groups are set as "translatable"
- On my Fields Group I choose "duplicate" for both English and German.
- The translated groups are created in both languages
- The translated groups are empty, even if the name of the group is correctly duplicated

Even if I click on the "overwrite with italian content" the groups stay empty.
The weird thing is that not only the title is duplicated correctly but also the group setting and "position" (show this group only if the post type is X).

Since this is very urgent I could go on and add manually the 8 fields (for each language) but I'm not sure if this would work and if the relation between the content in differente languages for the same field is going to be ok. Or, most importantly, if my template are going to work echoing the same fields in different languages...

Thanks again,
I hope for a quick fix.

If needed I can give you access to the website.

Last thing: the translation preference (Don't translate, copy, copy once, translate) shouldn't appear only if the groups are set as "non translatable"?
I tried by selecting "Don't translate" for all fields but still the duplication in the secondary language appears empty.

January 7, 2020 at 10:55 am #5245769

Martino

Hi there!
7 days without any reply.
This is getting very problematic for my client, please let me know if there is a fix or any workaround!

January 8, 2020 at 6:46 pm #5256457

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, and sorry for missing your reply here.

Thank you for the video that you sent me. I think that you have another issue besides the one from the errata. There is something not correct that I can see in the video. The 'Translation Priority' is missing in the 'Languages' section.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/adding-priority-to-your-translations/
Maybe it is related to the issue, but I'm not sure yet.

I can see that this field group where the problem is occurring is assigned to the area_manager post type.

1. Can you please tell me what is this custom post type?

2. Does your theme create this post type or maybe a plugin?

3. Does the problem of missing fields after duplicating the group, also happens on the regular WordPress post?

Please answer the above question but also if you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me. I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

January 9, 2020 at 5:45 pm #5264125

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, and thanks for the access details.

I've checked things on your site.

Maybe this problem is happening because you have not selected the 'Custom Fields' option in the post type options of Dettagli Area Manager?
Please see the attached screenshot.
Please select and save the changes and see if it helps.

You wrote that you do not use the Translation Management add-on. Please be aware that according to our documentation you must use the Translation Management add-on when working with WPML and the ACF plugin.
Please review our documentation here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Also, please be aware that there is no need to translate the field groups. It is only necessary if you need the field labels and options in another language for your site's translators. And since you mentioned that the editor and the translator are the same person, maybe you can skip the field group translation. Please read more about it in our documentation here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-acf-user-interface

Regards,
Itamar.

January 9, 2020 at 7:02 pm #5264535

Martino

Hi Itamar,
thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the CPT UI option is not relevant:
even unchecked the custom fields are shown in the italian "Area manager" content.

I deleted the (empty) english duplicated group fields:
now it doesn't show up at all, while in german the custom fields group is shown but it's empty.

I get that that's what your documentation says, but this site is kind of old and there are a lot of CF that are working correctly without any add-on.

I also know that right now there is no need to translate the Fields Groups but I can't go back and switch all 21 other to "not translatable", it would break the site, content wise.

The thing I really don't get is why duplication has stopped working, duplicating the fields along with the fields groups.

Maybe Konrad Karpieszuk could help on this?
I just need to know if I can manually add them, if the duplication deosnt' work.

Thanks,
m

January 10, 2020 at 11:55 am #5268335

Martino

Hi there,
in the end I couldn't wait anymore and manually recreated the custom fields in the translated (but empty) fields groups.

Now I can duplicate the italian "area manager" content and all the custom fields get populated, then I can "translate separately" and change the strings I need to change.

All in all it's ok, apart from the manual creation of the same CF for the translated fields groups. It would be interesting to know if there is a way to fix this and why this is happening.

January 12, 2020 at 5:23 pm #5276975

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I've checked things on a fresh WordPress installation with WPML + ACF + CPT UI and I cannot replicate the issue that you have on your site. You can check the test site at this link.
hidden link
With this link, you'll be directly logged in.

I've noticed one thing that might be related. The version of CPT UI that I use on my is 1.7.2 (updated 4 days ago.) Whereas the version that you have installed is 1.7.1. Please update the CPT UI to its latest version and see if the issue persists.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-ui/#developers

Regards,
Itamar.

January 13, 2020 at 10:11 am #5280473

Martino

Hi Itamar,
I checked the temporary website and I was able to duplicate the ACF Fields Group as you stated. I really don't think this has anything to do with CPT UI since the same thing happens also on regular posts/pages.

I'll go on and try to replicate the issue by deactivating all plugin and reactivating only the essential one.

Also: I'm on a multisite environment, could this be related somehow?

Thanks,
m.

January 13, 2020 at 12:17 pm #5282035

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

You asked: "I'm on a multisite environment, could this be related somehow?"
It might be but I can't be sure until I understand how to replicate this issue.
Checking if any of the multisite settings are causing the problem is also a possible investigation path.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translated ACF Group appears empty’ is closed to new replies.