Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
January 18, 2021 at 12:36 pm #7868707

jasperT-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?

So we have a webshop with English as default language, on top we have French and Dutch.
After linking all the categories to their main category in English they all show translated etc.
However a few hours later the link to the default language breaks (but only in Dutch, French is still in tact)

We do use Bdroppy to import so unsure if this might be caused with them?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

So if you go to hidden link and change language to French this works, but Dutch always breaks again and again.. Having to manually link up every category time and time again is a big pain in the...

What is the link to your site?

hidden link

January 20, 2021 at 12:24 am #7882211

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our support. Is there any specific action that makes the products categories synchronization to be lost? You mention a import tool, do you see the issue happening after any import process? I recommend you to proceed as follows:

IMPORTANT: Please, note, a backup is required for security reasons and to avoid any data loss, you can use the https://wordpress.org/plugins/backupwordpress/ plugin for these backup needs.

In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Support click the 'Troubleshooting' link, then select the 'Products' post type and click the 'Synchronize posts taxonomies'. This process will synchronize and link the translated product categories again.

In case you see the issue happening after some specific action, please, take notes and come back to us, if needed, you can create a new ticket, in case the issue is temporary resolved. So, we can investigate the root cause of the issue.

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

January 20, 2021 at 4:29 pm #7889539

jasperT-3

Hi, thanks, I've tried this in a staging environment where no categories were linked yet through the steps you provided.

Strangely enough it worked with all the French language categories but not for Dutch..any ideas? No imports were going through during the process

January 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm #7900181

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I would appreciate some access to the WordPress Dashboard of your staging/test environment where the issue could be reproduced, also, I would need some permission to perform some troubleshooting in this test environment in order to determine the cause of the issue. For that, please, consider:

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

January 22, 2021 at 9:35 pm #7909161

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I am running the batch process to synchronize the product taxonomies, so, I can proceed with the troubleshooting process, due the product count this process is taking too long. I will update you here as soon as I have some more details.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, have a nice day.

January 25, 2021 at 6:08 pm #7925069

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. I took another look, finished the sychronizatiom process for the product categories and I noticed some dutch categories are correctly connected to the default languuage, while others are not.

The importer tool you are using (BDroppy plugin) is not in our list of compatible plugins (see https://wpml.org/plugin/) and it might be the reason why the categories are not connected after the product import process. As it seems just a fews categories are still not connected, I would recommend you the following:

1 - Manually connect the missing categories translations to the default language from your Products > Categories just change to the language where you have issues (dutch) using the top admin bar language switcher, click to edit the category and make sure it is a translation of the relevant category in the primary language.

2 - Get in touch with the plugin author and ask some information on how to proper keep the category syncronized.

3 - Please, take a look at this similar ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/problem-with-bdroppy-on-second-languages/ so you can get some more information regarding the potential compatibility issues of this plugin when used with WPML.

Hope it brings some more clarifications from you, have a nice day.