This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Translated category pages leads to 404 error with SEOPress

Solution: - Go to SEOPress options, wp-admin/admin.php?page=seopress-option - On Advanced, click "Manage" - Search for "Remove /category/ in URL" and uncheck it. - Go to Settings->Permalinks and save the permalink once.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by cristinaV-7 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 8, 2019 at 8:05 pm

cristinaV-7

I am trying to: translate my category pages from original language (English) to Spanish.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the Spanish translation of hidden link

Instead, I got: 404 page not found.

I'm having several problems that I believe are compatibility issues between WPML and Elementor Pro page builder. The category pages look fine when I deactivate Elementor Pro plugin.

Other issues are:

* header template made with Elementor missing on translated pages (I have another version of the same header only for single posts, this header does look fine on translated posts)

* language switcher inserted on Elementor footer dissapears on all translated pages.

* I removed below-the-footer language switcher from WPML settings, but it continues to show on translated post pages.

* There are 3 different sizes of the main image that shows on the homepage, one for each of the following: desktop, tablet and mobile. This is also made with Elementor. When I switch homepage to Spanish, while on desktop, it shows the size corresponding to mobile. That is, the responsiveness of the elementor homepage doesnt work on the translated page.

Should I make a support ticket for each separate issue?

September 10, 2019 at 12:37 am #4540597

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

Yes, please open a new support ticket for your issues separately, I will take care of the permalink issue here.

So the category permalink is working well when Elementor is disabled?

Could you please follow the below steps once and let me know if this helps.

1) Go to WordPress -> Settings -> Permalinks -> Optional section -> Product Category base and enter “product-category’ and save the permalinks.

Note: if you see this value appear in grey color it is NOT inputted, and you need to do it manually.

2) Go to WPML->Themes & Plugin Localization -> Select how to translate strings in the theme and plugins -> check the “Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation” checkbox.

3) Go to WPML -> Translation Management -> Multilingual Content Setup -> Custom posts slug translation options and enable the “Translate custom posts slugs (via WPML String Translation).” checkbox.

4) Go to String Translation -> and search for “product-category” strings.

5) You can find a product-category string where “Domain ⇒ WordPress & Name ⇒ URL product_cat tax slug”

6) Click on the strings and translate it accordingly.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 2:48 am #4541075

cristinaV-7

Hello Shekhar,

Thanks for your response. I followed carefully your instructions. The problem with the category pages still persists, with no improvement.

I don't have any products on my website, just posts and pages. So, when you mentioned "product-category", I understood you mean just the categories of the posts (in this case they are: "beans", "how to brew", "gear" etc. and their Spanish translations).

In the last step you told me to translate the strings, but I couldn't find any strings with the product-category names, probably because they had already been translated before.

The only way that I can find to make the Spanish category pages work is by disabling two of my plugins: Elementor Pro AND SEOPress. If necessary, I could look for an alternative for SEOPress, but I really don't want to stop using Elementor.

What do you recommend?

September 10, 2019 at 2:54 am #4541151

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I am sorry I thought it was product category. To further debug this issue, I would like to check your site settings once, I tried to use the login details provided but it's not working, so could you please provide the working login details?

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 3:13 am
September 10, 2019 at 3:43 am #4541525

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

It looks like you are using an option to strip the category from the URL and it doesn't seems to be compatible with WPML, being so could you please follow the below steps and let me know if this helps:

- Go to SEOPress options, wp-admin/admin.php?page=seopress-option
- On Advanced, click "Manage"
- Search for "Remove /category/ in URL" and uncheck it.
- Go to Settings->Permalinks and save the permalink once.

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 4:04 am #4541671

cristinaV-7

Ok, that was good, thank you. We're making progress.
Category pages now work fine with SEOPress active.

There's now only the remaining problem with Elementor Pro. If I activate it, the category pages don't work. But instead of a 404 error, all you can see now is my footer (built with Elementor) located at the top of the page, as if it were the header, LOL.

Can you please help me a bit more?

September 10, 2019 at 4:20 am #4541737

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

The templates used in the category pages doesn't seems to be translated properly, so firstly, make sure to translate those templates completely.

Secondly are you using display conditions on the category pages?

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 4:51 am #4541799

cristinaV-7

Thank you very much. Category pages are working now.

I did two things: I completed all of the missing translations, like you suggested. But the Spanish template for the categories pages still looked empty. So I edited the Spanish version of that template inside the elementor editor, and copied the design from the original English template. That did the trick.

What I learned is that sometimes is not enough to complete the translations, but sometimes you also have to copy missing parts of the template design from the original language template to the translated language template. Do you agree that's the right thing to do?

Otherwise, my issue is solved, thank you again. You were very helpful.

September 10, 2019 at 5:01 am #4541851

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

What I learned is that sometimes is not enough to complete the translations, but sometimes you also have to copy missing parts of the template design from the original language template to the translated language template. Do you agree that's the right thing to do?

Yes, this is right. If there is no translations you should just copy it.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 5:04 am #4541853

cristinaV-7

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!