This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Translated Chinese (Simplified) Text Inconsistencies.

Solution:

The issue, in this case, was not coming from WPML or even from some added CSS. The issue is simply the way that Chrome presents those Chinese characters. In other browsers the inconsistencies were not showing.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zigmundR-2 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
August 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm #4415971

zigmundR-2

I am trying to: Paste in Chinese (Simplified) text into the fields in the WPML classic translation editor

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Total consistency in font sizes and weights

Instead, I got: Our translator is saying that there is more than one font and more than one text size occurring. As you see from the screenshot, the first three characters in the top line and the second three characters in that same line do look different. Do you have any tips for pasting in text from a Google Doc into the WPML fields? I've tried clearing formatting both in the Google Doc and in WPML and I'm not getting any joy.

August 19, 2019 at 6:54 pm #4418589

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Maybe it is hard for me (and also for you) to say there is something different with those Chinese characters, but when I insect the element, I see no reason for this change. They are all in the same div element and getting the same CSS directives. Please see the attached screenshot.

If you are using Windows then pasting the copied text with Ctrl + Shift + V pastes the test without formating.

If you are using the ATE of WPML then you can better control formatting. Please read about it in our documentation here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#html-markers

Please let me know if this information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Itamar.

August 20, 2019 at 9:11 am #4421969

zigmundR-2

Thanks for getting back to me Itamar and offering additional ATE information. I'd tried pasting in without formatting etc and we were still getting those small inconsistencies. I'll try the advanced editor as you recommended.

August 21, 2019 at 10:12 am #4429801

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

OK, please let me know what you have found.

I also wanted to ask if you are using the Chrome browser?
I ask this because it might only be the way that Chrome is presenting those Chinese characters. When I check the same page with the Microsoft Edge and Firefox browsers, I see less difference in the style of those characters. Please see the attached screenshots.

Regards,
Itamar.

August 21, 2019 at 10:29 am #4430187

zigmundR-2

Thanks so much for that input Itamar, that's really interesting! I'd been testing on Chrome and Safari and in the shots you include, especially Firefox, there's definitely some equalization on the font heights. I'm going to try WPML Advanced Editor this afternoon and I'll let you know if we can shut this ticket down.

August 22, 2019 at 10:49 am #4438449

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

OK. But I really think that it is only your translator's sensitive eye that caught the issue (and thus we also could notice that) and not a real problem. What I want to say is that the issue is not coming from WPML or even from some added CSS. The issue is simply the way that Chrome presents those Chinese characters. And in any case, there is no something that we can do about it.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

August 22, 2019 at 1:09 pm #4439571

zigmundR-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!