This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
June 12, 2019 at 7:38 pm #4007377

patrycjaK

I am trying to: see my translations on a page on my site.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Different translations depending on the selection from the language switcher

Instead, I got: the standard English content

***Please email me at michael.martinez-campos@ipsoft.com***

June 13, 2019 at 5:50 am #4009559

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes.
- Flush any cache memory that might exists.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Kind regards,
Carlos

June 13, 2019 at 9:07 pm #4016947

patrycjaK

Hi Carlos, it looks like the site partially breaks after following those steps. I'm able to get into the backend but going to any of the pages just shows a white screen.

Our current server setup doesn't allow for making changes in staging. Can I send you a copy of the site? I made a backup using Updraft Plus, but I can also make the backup manually if necessary.

Thanks for your help so far,
Michael

June 14, 2019 at 2:18 pm #4021993

patrycjaK

Hi Carlos,

I got stopped during the signin process with a message saying "NOTE: We do not support automated migration of locally hosted sites." I'm going to check with my lead developers and see if I can install the plugin on the staging server but i'm fairly certain they're going to say no. If I can't install the plugin, can I send you a manual backup of the site? I created one yesterday. If you can take the manual backup, let me know what email address to use for you/wpml support. I'll likely use one of the large file sending services.

Thanks,
Michael

June 14, 2019 at 5:36 pm #4023291

patrycjaK

I registered for Cloudways (still waiting for the registration confirmation email) and i'm going to try to manually import my site if possible.

June 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm #4023777

patrycjaK

Also, I can set up a login for you on the staging site if you just want to take a look around without making any changes.

June 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm #4024031

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please let me know if you were able to migrate the site to Cloudways and in case you can't you can share a manual copy of the site with me.

Regards,
Carlos

June 17, 2019 at 3:47 pm #4036787

patrycjaK

Hi Carlos,

I wasn't able to install the plugin on our staging server, so i've uploaded the backup files here: hidden link

Let me know if you have any issues accessing it.

Thanks,
Michael

June 17, 2019 at 4:51 pm #4037333

patrycjaK

I noticed that the page that's not working doesn't have a context listed, while that is working: About, lists the theme as it's content. I had tried the scan for strings function before with no luck but I think the answer is in this context issue.

June 18, 2019 at 9:18 am #4041961

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your messages.

I'm downloading the copy of the site that you shared to run further tests in a local environment. I will get back to you as soon as I have results.

Regards,
Carlos

June 18, 2019 at 11:27 pm #4046769

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

Could you provide the steps you followed to translate the content?

Regards,
Carlos

June 19, 2019 at 2:12 pm #4052089

patrycjaK

Sure, I go to the WPML -> String Translation section and do a search for the field name that I want to translate. I get the field name from the Appearance -> Customize section. In Customize I go into Pages and look for the page I want to add content to. I inspect the input boxes and get the input data-id. Example: 1Desk Automation page, the first input's data-id is 1d_auto_1. I search for 1d_auto_1 in String Translation and enter translations for all of the languages i've enabled: English(default), Japanese, German, Dutch, French and Spanish. I click on Translation Complete for each field when done.

The 1Desk page is a good example of a page i've entered all of the content for.

June 19, 2019 at 9:01 pm #4054715

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I would like to ask you to follow this steps:
- Go to WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Configuration tab -> Change this code:

<key name="theme_mods_ipsoft_v2">
      <key name="0"/>
      <key name="nav_menu_locations">
        <key name="menu-1"/>
        <key name="mega_menu"/>
      </key>
      <key name="custom_css_post_id"/>
      <key name="ip_slider">
        <key name="0">
          <key name="slide_img"/>
          <key name="slide_heading_text"/>
          <key name="slide_text"/>
          <key name="slide_btn"/>
          <key name="link_url"/>
          <key name="slide_logo"/>
          <key name="content-select"/>
        </key>
      </key>

to this code:

<key name="theme_mods_ipsoft_v2">
      <key name="*"/>
      </key>

- Save the changes
- Go to Appearance -> Customize -> Re-save the values.
- Go to WPML -> String Translation -> Re-save the translations.

Could you confirm that the issue is solved?
Regards,
Carlos

June 19, 2019 at 10:46 pm #4055113

patrycjaK

This didn't work on the first try. Does it matter in which order I create the translated pages?
Example: create versions of each page language, then fill out the values in the Customizer

June 19, 2019 at 10:53 pm #4055147

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I'm sorry but I am a little bit confused with the way the pages and content are created in the site.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos