This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
August 19, 2019 at 7:49 pm

alexanderG-31

Dear Sirs

I am trying to: We are trying to translate the whole website from English to Danish. We have already done most of the translation, but many disappeared when the English versions were edited a bit. We then tried the solution in the link (https://wpml.org/errata/when-the-translation-is-saved-some-content-is-replaced-with-the-original/).
We then though it was fixed, but we are still getting these problems.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link and hidden link

I expected to see: I expected that we could make minor edits in text/images without losing the translated content. Some areas are just replaced with the original language and it is not "ticked off as translated".

We have now experienced this many time and it is not just on one page. I thought the translators used the "Divi template" to edit things and not the Original translator which you guys have, but they are translating correctly. We have also disabled "WPML Media" since we have heard that it could cause further problems.

I have thought about turning of synchronization, but we would of course like to have the updated design (if we make changes in the future) onto the new pages. In these cases, we would of course have to update the new translations but normally we would need to translate it before it changes. Right now, it just changes without someone touching the translations, but just the main content/language.

Hope it makes sense - Thanks in advance.

Yours faithfully

August 19, 2019 at 8:00 pm
August 19, 2019 at 8:40 pm #4419087

alexanderG-31

We have not found the issue and will stop searching for it until an answer by support, thank you.

August 19, 2019 at 8:46 pm #4419169

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. Please check in WPML -> String Translation in the page builder domains. Look for the string that is showing the original content. Does the status show as needs an update? If so, if you update the string, does it show the correct content?

August 20, 2019 at 6:26 am #4420675

alexanderG-31

Dear Lauren

The content says, "Not translated". I can ensure you that it was translated earlier.
All the languages have an English version on the translation now.

I updated the string in Danish (made the translation in the string) and it updated on the website. We were also able to update it through the normal translation-method, but the problem is that it is all disappearing. We don't know exactly when this happens.

My worries are now:
1. If we do the string translations, they will also be gone at some point and once again time and money is lost.
2. It is too difficult for the translators to translate in the string. They can't just go through it page by page as before and we have some "code" which they may screw up or just get confused by.

You are also very welcome to look at the backend with the details provided.

Yours faithfully

August 20, 2019 at 6:33 am #4420793

alexanderG-31

Further note: I have noticed that the titles are all still translated and are not disappearing. When looking at the contact form, that is also translated.

It seems to be the normal text that changes to main language (English).

August 20, 2019 at 6:01 pm #4425815

Lauren
Supporter

At some point did you switch the type of translation editor you were using from Classic to Advanced? I have seen this happen before when switching back and forth with editors.

Here's one thing you can try, but it will require you to retranslate the content. You can go to WPML -> Packages and delete the package for your page ID. Then, go to WPML -> String Translation and delete any strings associated with the page builder ID that still remain.

Next, edit the original page, make any small change, and save the changes. Now, open the translation editor and translate the content. After these steps, do you see the correct content on the frontend? If so, you should now be able to use the translation editor to edit any content without needing to save them in String Translation.

Please let me know the results.

August 24, 2019 at 6:07 pm #4452159

alexanderG-31

Dear Lauren

Thank you for the answer. We have been out of the office the last couple of days hence the lack of communication. I am sorry about that.

We have not once switched between the Classic and Advanced editor and therefor it cannot have caused the problems.

We are also experiencing problems where even the Translation managers are not able to access pages and translate them.

I understand that you would like me to try deleting all translation packages, but we have 120 pages with 4 different languages. This will be a major work and we do not even know if this will fix all the problems. Even if we export the languages this will be a huge job.

Currently we have other websites and shops running with the exact same setup without problems with the translations/text disappearing.

If we are really in need of deleting all translations and you guys are not able to help us further by maybe checking it directly on the website, I am sorry to inform you that we will be changing translation software, since this is not optimal.

Sorry for any inconvenience but the client’s translators and our workers cannot spend time on "trying" things that will cost time and money.

Yours faithfully

August 26, 2019 at 1:36 pm #4459257

Lauren
Supporter

I'm happy to login and take a look to see if I can find a quicker resolution for you. Would it be okay for me to create a test page so that I can reproduce the issue?

Please confirm these are the steps I should take to reproduce the issue, just so I make sure I am understanding the issue exactly.
1. Create a page and translate the page
2. Update the original page.
3. When you edit the translated page, the content that was previously translated has disappeared and is replaced with the original content.

If this is correct, I would like to create a test page, and once I am done testing I will delete the test page. Please let me know if that is okay to test on your site. Thank you!

August 26, 2019 at 2:07 pm #4459575

alexanderG-31

Dear Lauren

Of course - You can login and do whatever changes that are needed.

To be honest with you i have not been able to provoke the issue myself. It is true that we:

1. Create a page and translate it.
2. Update the original page.
3. It is not always disappearing and there is not consistency in the errors.

We can go weeks and then suddenly a page is having an English text on the Danish version. It almost seems like it goes back to an older version and then removes the translated content with the original English content.

On this page: hidden link
The section "Bauma 2019 – Deutschland" were translated into Danish.
When visiting the Danish version now (hidden link) we don't see it.

In the backend of the translation, you can see that the content about "Bauma 2019.." is now in English, on the Danish version, and not ticked of as "translated". Please see image 1 "error1.png" from my first post. This were live on the website earlier and worked fine.

The only edit that were made in that period between the translation and the error was a change of an image on the website.

Please see if you can provoke the issue by making a test page. Unfortunately i have not been able to do so these couple of days.

I hope it makes sense.

Thanks.

Yours faithfully

August 28, 2019 at 1:52 am #4470231

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for allowing me to test. I was not able to reproduce the issue on a new page, so I used the Duplicator plugin to create a snapshot of your site so that I can test the page you are referencing without interrupting the live site.

I will try to reproduce it locally and send an update here when I have further information.

August 28, 2019 at 8:11 am #4471815

alexanderG-31

Dear Lauren

Thank you for trying that. We will wait for further information.

Yours faithfully
Alexander

August 28, 2019 at 2:28 pm #4475137

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for your patience. I set up the copy of your site and completed the German translation for the page Concrete Batching Plant Events using the classic WPML editor. Everything saved correctly and displayed correctly on the front end. I then edited the English version to see if I could reproduce the issue. After saving the changes, the translated content remained intact. I also checked WPML -> Translations and the German translation now has a status of Complete.

Can you tell me if I am missing any steps, or doing anything differently than you did on the live site? Is there a certain block of content that you edit? I'm just trying to exactly recreate the steps so I can try and get the issue replicated. Thanks for your assistance.

August 28, 2019 at 2:42 pm #4475183

alexanderG-31

Dear Lauren

The sections with text were edited and the picture were changed, but nothing else.
You seem to have tried the same things that the editor did.

I have not myself, been able to receive the errors even when trying these couple of days.

Yours faithfully
Alexander

August 28, 2019 at 10:00 pm #4476951

Lauren
Supporter

Hi Alexander, so if I understand correctly, you updated the translated content on the live site and now everything shows correct? Even after updating the original page again?

If so, could we keep the debug log enabled and wait some days to see if it happens again? It's hard to determine what could have been the cause when I'm not able to reproduce it, but perhaps if it does happen again the debug log could shed some light on the cause.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translated content is replaced with main language’ is closed to new replies.