Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: On the WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup > Translated documents options, the "Copy from original language if translation language uses encoded URLs" option is selected, but the slug is not copied from the default language

Solution: Please, click on the WPML > Languages > Site Languages > Edit languages. On the secondary language row, look at the "Encoded URL" column and select "Yes". Click on the "Save" button.

Note that you need to resend the translation jobs or edit this manually for the old posts - already translated.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Todd 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
December 15, 2016 at 7:38 pm #1161588

Todd

Hi there

We are working with manual translations (3rd party translator is using XLIFF files).

Here's the settings we're using: hidden link

But, either things aren't working correctly or we chose the wrong option not understanding correctly. The URL's for the new Japanese pages are using Japanese, but we'd like them to be English like the original URL's. I'm sure there's a setting for this. How and where do I find it? (Example -- hidden link should actually be hidden link)

Appreciate the help.

Todd

December 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm #1162551

Bruno

Thanks for contacting us.

Please, click on the WPML > Languages > Site Languages > Edit languages. On the Japanese row, look at the "Encoded URL" column and select "Yes". Click on the "Save" button. I'll add an image for you to see.

Note that you need to resend the translation jobs or edit this manually for the old posts - already translated.

After following these steps, please let me know if when you translate a URL the slug value is copied to the secondary language correctly.

Thank you.

December 16, 2016 at 7:31 pm #1162587

Todd

Hi Bruno

Thanks for the help. It was a bit of a process, including rolling back the site to before we imported the first translations, but it worked at the end.

Todd