We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Translated images don't always show up in media library and posts

Solution: The issue was only happening with different domains per language and the image wasn't loaded properly with the additional domains, contacting the hosting provider solved the issue.

This topic contains 29 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jean-paulS 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
July 22, 2019 at 3:03 pm

jean-paulS

Hi,
I have a bilingual website (Duch NL/English EN) and I have some issues with my images when WPML plugins are activated. In the media library, when selecting English (EN), sometimes the images are visible, and sometimes they aren't (only grey). And sometimes, only a few are visible, and the rest is grey. It's unpredictable.
And when choosing an image from within the post dashboard, the picture doesn't always show up in the post.
When selecting Dutch (NL) in the dashboard, the pictures are visible, but also there the featured image isn't always visible on the preview page. And they are only visible in the tile view of the media library, in the list view, there's "No media files found."
Same thing on the media translation pages: when choosing NL, all the images are visible (even the English ones), but with "EN" or "All languages" selected: no images, just the flags and "en" or "nl."
I already deactivated all the other plugins but in vain.
Also deactivating the WPML Media plugin doesn't help.
Could you take a look at this?
Thanks in advance.
Jean-Paul

July 23, 2019 at 3:57 am #4262595

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

This can probably happen when media aren't translated to the other language properly, so could you please follow the steps as mentioned in the following documentation and let me know if that helps?

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#media-translation-settings

Enabling these settings and run them once should fix the issues.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

July 23, 2019 at 9:49 am #4264707

jean-paulS

Hello Shekhar,
Thanks for your reply.
I already had taken the steps mentioned in the documentation you refer to. Most of the images of my posts and pages are translated and linked to each other. I think the best way to see and understand the problem is by logging in to my dashboard. I don't have too many images, so it's not really a maze. (My site is online but hidden for search bots).

July 23, 2019 at 12:12 pm #4265861

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Sure, please provide login details along with screenshots and links so I can replicate the issue.

I would need to check your site settings once, for this I would need temporary access (wp-admin and ftp) to your site.

So could you please provide me those details, you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
hidden link

This info is private and available to you and WPML supporters only.
Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note:
Backup your sites before providing the credentials or if possible provide credentials for the test site

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

July 23, 2019 at 1:10 pm
July 24, 2019 at 12:11 pm #4274321

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I noticed that the images that are missing are the thumbnail of the images, is there any plugin which is creating the thumbnails? if yes, could you please disable it for a moment and let me know if this helps? You can also try to regenerate the thumbnails and see if that helps.

Further, if that doesn't help, can you confirm that you are still experiencing issues with minimal set up (all plugins except WPML disabled and the theme on a WordPress default such as Twenty Nineteen)

Thanks

July 24, 2019 at 3:49 pm #4276255

jean-paulS

Hello Shekhar,
It is indeed only the thumbnails that are missing. They are generated by WordPress with additional sizes for the Divi theme.
I tried two different plugins to regenerate the thumbnails, but they didn't work.
But sometimes the thumbnails show up when EN is selected in the Media library, and as I wrote in my introduction, it's unpredictable. But it means the thumbnails are there somewhere.
I enabled troubleshoot mode from the Health Check & Troubleshooting plugin to check WPML without other plugins and with the default theme Twenty Nineteen, but it was impossible to activate the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin. But all the thumbnails of the posts were visible for both languages.
I deactivated all the plugins manually (except for the Content Aware Sidebars plugin and all the WPML plugins), and the thumbnails are visible in the media library for both languages.
But when I want to set a featured image in a post, the thumbnails are invisible, but I can choose one, and it shows up in the post dashboard, but in the post itself it doesn't show up, and after updating the post, the thumbnail in the dashboard of the post disappears too.
After this action, many of the thumbnails in the media library with NL enabled were missing (gray).
I switched to the Twenty Nineteen theme (with the plugins still disabled), and now all thumbnails are invisible with NL enabled (OK with EN this time).
Seemingly, it is not a plugin that causes the issue, and it keeps unpredictable when and where the thumbnails are visible.
(As I wrote in the first question, I already disabled all the plugins before - also the Content Aware Sidebars plugin - and the problem was still there.)

July 25, 2019 at 7:44 am #4280247

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the detailed information.

To further debug this issue, I would like to replicate your site on my localhost and perform further debugging, being so, could you please provide me a backup of your site so I can replicate your site on my localhost and perform further debugging.

To send a backup file you can use backups plugins, or use hosting services back up and send it using google drive, dropbox, etc to us. If you can, I request you to remove the uploads folder from the backup as it will be easy to download due to the size.

I have enabled the private reply so you can send those links in the private reply. If you use some backup plugins installed and you created the packages, you can just provide login details and mention us, we can download it from the site itself.
hidden link

Thanks

July 25, 2019 at 10:14 am
July 26, 2019 at 4:48 am #4287333

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I downloaded the file and noticed that the uploads folder is not included in the downloads file since the issue is with the images can you upload it too?

Thanks

July 29, 2019 at 11:40 am #4299315

jean-paulS

Hello Shekhar,
I didn't get an email about your latest question, so I just saw it now. I've backed up the upload folder and send it to Google drive (backup_2019-07-29-1328_...etc.) (I didn't back up it earlier because you asked me not to do it). You can still use the link I've sent you before.

July 30, 2019 at 5:58 am #4304923

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the details.

I noticed that when the Language URL format is not set as different domain per language the issue is not happening, could you please confirm it once? You can go to WPML->Langauge->Language URL format to language as a parameter and check the issue once.

Thanks

July 30, 2019 at 3:55 pm #4309475

jean-paulS

Hi Shekhar,
It works indeed when "Language name added as a parameter" is selected (and also with "Different languages in directories").

July 31, 2019 at 4:32 am #4311439

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I tested settings up different domains per language in my test server (localhost) and it's still working, so it looks like a configuration issue with the domains, I tried to log in to your account again but the details are not working so could you please check if the details are still valid.

Thanks

July 31, 2019 at 7:35 am #4312315

jean-paulS

Hello Shekhar,
I reactivated the login (for 7 days). On my account, I noticed that when returning to "different domains per language," it also works normally now. Maybe some act, like uploading a new image or translate an image "triggers" the issue.
PS: I still don't receive an email when a new reply is posted here. Can you activate this somewhere?