This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.85 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Translated menu strings are not 'seen' by Menu Sync

Solution:

I went to WPML -> WP Menu Sync and after making sure that all the strings in German are translated in the String Translation section, I synced the English and German menus. Now the strings in the German menu are showing German.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ghledisC 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 1:21 pm

ghledisC

I am trying to: Use the translated strings of the Main English menu to have a German menu

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Translated menu

Instead, I got: English menu

The translation is completed in String translations. But it seems like Menu Sync doesn't see that they are completed. I did click on translation complete and did menu sync before and after, but the page where it says what it will sync doesn't 'see' my translated strings

July 25, 2019 at 2:26 pm #4284197

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I can see the issue on your site.

I also see something weird when I go to the menu section. If I want to select another menu, then I see the same menu UBLMenu2 (Main) 7 times. It seems that it shows for each language on the site. This shouldn't be like that. Please see the attached screenshot.

I suspect that there is a collision with another plugin or the theme. I mainly suspect the Max Mega Menu plugin. Please try the following. If possible, get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like TwentyNineteen and no plugins activated except WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to TwentyNineteen (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins (start from Max Mega Menu) except the WPML and its add-ons. Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 26, 2019 at 7:18 am #4287853

ghledisC

Switching themes made the superfluous menus disappear. So the question now is, how do I handle the conflict in the theme, as I cannot change the theme. Too much work went into it already.

July 28, 2019 at 2:48 pm #4295583

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for trying my suggestions.

If deactivating the theme causes the menus to disappear, then please proceed with the minimum environment procedure but leave your theme active. As I've mentioned, I suspect that there is a compatibility conflict with one of the plugins, so it is important to continue and check that.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 29, 2019 at 6:48 am #4297227

ghledisC

I switched to the TwentyNineteen theme and gradually activated every plugin, checking if the issue returns. It didn't, so it is safe to say the issue is with the theme, correct?

July 29, 2019 at 3:47 pm #4301509

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

I'm sorry if I didn't understand you correctly in your previous reply.

You are using the Ocean WP theme, which is officially compatible with WPML.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/build-multilingual-wordpress-sites-using-oceanwp-theme-and-wpml/

Now I've re-activated the OceanWP theme on your site (parent theme). Then I went to WPML -> WP Menu Sync and after making sure that all the strings in German are translated in the String Translation section, I synced the English and German menus. Now the strings in the German menu are showing German. Please see the attached screenshot.
Can you see that it is Ok now?

Regards,
Itamar.

July 30, 2019 at 6:35 am #4305031

ghledisC

Thank you for the help, this fixed the issue!