Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by seanB-21 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
November 25, 2021 at 5:11 pm #10070129

seanB-21

I've translated my home page into another language and the entire page is no longer full width.
I translated by clicking on the language in the all pages area of the site. I haven't copied the page.

I've tried updating WPML settings to make sure that everything is being translated.
I've tried editing the page to make it full width individually but I can't see any difference in page settings between the original homepage (English) and translated homepage (English-US), and I will have alot of translations to do so ideally I don't want to be manually editing every page in this way!

November 25, 2021 at 8:15 pm #10070655

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi there.

My guess is that there is a page template setting that is not carried over to the translation or there's some CSS stored in a custom field that's not carried over to the translation.

1. Can you please check if, in WPML > Settings, you have "Synchronize page template" checked?

If not, check it and try to make a small edit on the original language page then update the translation and save it.

2. If that is already checked, then this is probably a CSS-related issue.

In that situation, there are 2 options that we have:

Option A: by using the Duplication method

1. Create a full backup of the site
2. Delete the current translation by switching the flag at the top, go to pages, click "delete" on the page translation, then go to trash and remove it from there, too
3. Switch the language back to the original/default language, from the top of the backend
4. Go to WPML > Translation Management
5. Select the page that you want to duplicate, select the language that you want to duplicate the page in, and click duplicate
6. Now switch the language at the top of the backend, go to Pages and click "Edit" on the newly duplicated page (it should open it in the same editor that you created the initial page in, so it should take the layout and instead of using any of the WPML editors, you can manually translate by using the initial editor that you used for the initial default-language page)

Related documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Option B - setting the custom fields to "copy"

Another reason why this might happen is due to the way the content builder or the theme stores the styling for the content. Some store the styling in a custom field (the custom field usually contains the "style" or "css" or "layout" or "styling" wording) and that custom field might need to first be set to "copy" in order to have the styling being carried over to the translated page.

After doing this, you should first make a small change on the default language, then save the page, then go to the translation of that page and re-save it - and the CSS should be copied over.

Please check more here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

Please let me know how that goes and if that resolves the styling issue for you.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

November 26, 2021 at 9:58 am #10073557

seanB-21

Option B worked! I have no idea which field it was that made it work...I just set all of them to copy. Will I need to do this for each page and every language or is there a way to work out what is causing the issue and fix or at least bulk update every page at once?

November 26, 2021 at 10:58 pm #10077369

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi there.

Congratulations! 🙂 YEY!

Setting the correct custom field to "Copy" should resolve this issue for the next pages that you will translate so I wouldn't worry about this anymore.

Do not hesitate to get back to us if any issues will arise in the near future.

I wish you a lovely weekend.

Mihai

December 1, 2021 at 3:01 pm #10106193

seanB-21

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!