Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: We have imported 158 bilingual product translated using WPML + WP All Import on a Woo install, they are all online and working fine, but 50 of them had no images.

Solution: Please try updating one original product (using WCML translation editor). Just click update. If this solves the issue for this one product, you can bulk update all the products with the issue.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jonathanF-3 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
September 11, 2017 at 12:39 pm

jonathanF-3

Issue :
We have 158 bilingual product translated using WPML on a woo install, they are all online & working fine, but 50 of them had no images. We finally were able to take photo & upload them by FTP.

I've then run the import in my main language to "update" each product record with the new images -> Everything went smoothly, all the 50 products that didn't have an image were updated with the new images we just uploaded. Perfect !

Then I run the "english" import, which is our 2nd language. Import successfully completed without any single warning or errors, but the product images aren't showing on frontend. I've checked the logs, and there's no error in the log file, every product say :

"Using existing image `xyz.jpg` for post `xyz product` ..."

As you can see, WPML All import do find the image that is already used on the french version & seems to re-use it. However, nothing gets displayed on front-end in the second language (english).

I was running all the latest version of the WPML suite, so decided to downgrade all WPML extension to previous version, did another test : Same result, so it's not related to the latest WPML version.

I've included a full backup (ManageWP) & WP credential.

September 11, 2017 at 4:00 pm #1367698

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML support!

Please, try the following:
WPML Media is the add-on that allows WPML to translate media attachments in your WordPress site.

For start, could you please check if:
- Go to WPML->Media Translation
- Check that following options are check and press Start button:
X Translate existing media in all languages
X Duplicate existing media for translated content
X Duplicate the featured images for translated content

If this does not solve the issue, please try updating one original product (you are using WCML translation editor, right). Just click update. If this solves the issue for this one product, you can bulk update all the products with the issue.

Let me know your results, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

September 11, 2017 at 6:38 pm #1367910

jonathanF-3

Hi Otto, thanks for the instruction. The WPML-> Media option were all checked. Updating 1 product manually in the translation editor worked. However, how can I bulk update products without going in each one by one ?

Isn't possible using WPML All import ? This might be a huge problem when we have more than 1k product to update

September 12, 2017 at 8:53 am #1368359

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

The bulk edition is a standard WP feature.

❌ Before proceeding please make a full website backup! ❌

Go to Products, select all the products you want to edit and using the "Bulk Actions" drop-down select "Edit". Then just update. You can display more products to select a bunch in "Screen options"

I am not sure why it failed the first time. What option do you have in
WPML->Media Translation:
How to handle media for new content:
X When uploading media to the Media Library, make it available in all languages
X Duplicate media attachments for translations
X Duplicate featured images for translations

all of them should be checked.

Then, when running the second import (the translations) don't import the images. The imported products will use the duplicated images.

Can you try that?

Let me know your results, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

September 14, 2017 at 3:36 pm #1372136

jonathanF-3

My issue is resolved (By doing the bulk edit). I had all the option checked when doing an db update. I also had the option to "not upload new image when there is already one in the media library" so the import shouldn't had uploaded new images.

Also, if you want to test using my backup, if I'm trying to run the import on a PHP7 environment, all I get is a blank page (But I am still able to navigate in the backend). I had to downgrade to PHP 5.6 to be able to do the update.