Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by adriO 3 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
October 20, 2016 at 2:29 pm #1119690

adriO

Hi Otto, here I am again.

This is the price to pay for being so popular over at WPML support. This is maybe why Tia had run of to another department ;-).

The issue:
When I add a new product to the site I select some product categories and I add the keywords I want. I do that in the English version of the site.
Next when I go to product translation I enter the translations in the corresponding fields. So far so good. The category translations works ok because those are pre defined and already translated.
However when I try to translate the product tags it went wrong. For example when there are four product tags and I translate them in WPML taxonomy translation AND when I forgot to translate two of them in the first attempt only the translated first two are showing. That's logical should you say because the other two are not translated but when I translated them at a second attempt they also do not show up in the translated product.

Using them as a search criteria does also not work.

To get it to work I have to clear all caches and so. I know, this looks like a minor issue but when other photographers are going to add their photos to the site it has to work right away.
I don't want to clarify to them over and over again to clear the caches to make it work on their computers.

It is not very urgent to solve it but I think a solution for this is beneficial to all WooCommerce - WPML users.

Good luck with it.

Best Regards,

Adri

October 20, 2016 at 8:21 pm #1119925

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hi Adri,

If you update the original product. Just save it again, no need to change anything. The newly translated tags appear in the secondary language.

Can you please check it? Is this a solution for you?

Let me know your results, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

October 21, 2016 at 1:09 pm #1120399

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thanks again for your quick reply. I tried your suggestion and for now it is ok this way. Let's be honest, it is not an award winning solution because it takes extra (in my opinion unnecessary) handling to get it right. I hope that in a future release it will be ok as it should.

Best regards,

Adri

October 21, 2016 at 7:26 pm #1120714

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

You are right. Thanks for letting us know.

I will check the issue with our developers, and they will see if it can be added to our roadmap for future releases.

Have a nice weekend 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 8:26 am #1120824

adriO

Great, have a nice weekend yourself too!

October 24, 2016 at 11:47 am #1121607

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

If you don't translate the tags before translating the product, the only available solution is to update the product. Take into account that you can bulk update products so it shouldn't be too hard.

Checking for products with untranslated tags each time you add or update a tag translation can do more harm than the solution that we have now.

We don understand that is not optimal, but it's the best option. We are always trying to improve our product, so we will take this into account for future releases.

Kind Regards,

Otto

October 25, 2016 at 7:07 am #1122209

adriO

Thanks, let's wet and see what surfaces from the code-dungeons 😉

October 25, 2016 at 12:55 pm #1122620

Otto
Supporter

🙂

It's not a critical issue for us, as there are alternatives to solve it (suboptimal, that's true). But it will be taken into account for future releases.

Kind Regards,

Otto

October 29, 2016 at 5:22 am #1125697

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thank you for letting me know. I can imagine it is not very critical for you. I have some thoughts about the taxonomy translation functionality and I will inform you about it by monday the latest.

Kind regards,

Adri

October 31, 2016 at 12:34 pm #1126444

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

Thanks for your understanding. And please, do share your thoughts with us we will take into account.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 8, 2016 at 8:38 am #1132090

adriO

Hi Otto,

I promised to share my thoughts about the translation of the product tags. Ok, fasten your seatbelts...... :-).

As you know a word can have more than one meaning.
For instance the word "chicken" this could mean the egg laying and superb to roast animal (in Dutch: kip), but also another baby bird (in Dutch: kuiken).

When I add a product let's say a photo of a baby bird and I add the keyword "chicken" to it chances are that it shows up in a Dutch search of "kip" while it is a, let's say, baby eagle.

Ok, when I do an English search for chicken the results may be the egg-laying-and-superb-to-roast animal AND all of the baby birds. That's fine because it is true. However when performing a Dutch search the results went wrong. When a search is "kuiken" I don't want to see a "kip" and vice versa.

The way it works right now let me think that it is not better than the Google Translate bot. And that's sad.

I hope that you understand what I'm saying.

What are your thoughts about it?

Best regards,

Adri

November 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm #1132519

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

I'm not sure if I'm getting the issue.

We are talking about product tags here, right?

What would you like to have are different tags per language in each product? This may lead to other issues as tags archives won't correlate to anything in the other language.

I understand the 'linguistic" problem. Sometimes is hard to correlate the same word to another language. You may add more tags if needed (and more complex ones)

For instance:
roaster -> kip
baby bird -> kuiken

It looks more like a translation issue than a technical one.

Let me know if I missed the point here, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 8, 2016 at 4:08 pm #1132602

adriO

Hi Otto,

Yeah, you are right, this is the issue of the product tags.

I do agree that it is more a linguistic issue then a technical one but still.
When we can avoid to present the visitors with a wrong outcome of searching I think we are obligated to do so.

I was thinking in a direction like:

choose a product where the translation has to be added or excluded. I really don;t know if this is possible but let's say when I'm presented with a list of products who ar meet the criteria and I'm able to delete the translation from it that would be great. This we WPML stands out of the quality of other translation methods.

Writing this, I realize that this could mean that every product has to have its own set of taxonomies and translations, like you said, but you never know. I'm speaking from the top of my brain, maybe there is another much smarter solution.

Best regards,

Adri

November 8, 2016 at 6:16 pm #1132704

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

I see your point.

But take into account that we are dealing with other pieces of software. We try to find the best way under a set of restrictions. And we need to make decisions.

In the case of WooCommerce product taxonomies, there must be a translation. You can't create a set of taxonomies per languages. And, also I'm not sure this solution will be the best for most users.

You have a workaround. Using the WooCommerce editor, you can have tags per language. But this is not the expected behavior. And other issues may arise.

Those are my thought. I recommend for now the "linguistic" approach: creating as many tags and as complex as needed to match the meanings in each language.

We do appreciate your comments and insights. I will share them and hopefully something better will come out.

Thanks a lot!

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 8, 2016 at 6:51 pm #1132728

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thanks and let's hope there will be another (smarter) way in the future.
Suggestion: why don't you create a superb AI who can view the products itselfs and make its own well chosen decisions :-).

I trust you will be the richest man on earth in no time at all haha.

Thanks and till next time.

Best regards,

Adri