Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
May 16, 2020 at 8:40 pm #6148611

marcoA-32

Hello,

I am performing some tests and noticed that translated website is noticeably slower than main website.

Italian website (main)
hidden link

English website (trasnlated)
hidden link

I then made a test with hidden link and got confirmation of the differences between one site and the other.

Now the question is: Why is there all this difference?

Thanks,
Marco

May 18, 2020 at 6:37 am #6154973

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I compared it and I can see it as well:
hidden link
hidden link

As far as I see, double number of requests are made. Can you tell me if you have browser redirect activated perhaps?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 18, 2020 at 7:09 am #6155103

marcoA-32

Hi Bruno, hope you are fine.

The only difference between the 2 website - as far as I know as the English website is purely a translation from the main site - is that the main website has a cache plug-in installed with also minifying options active.

When I try to access to the English website control panel by writing hidden link I'm redirected to hidden link therefore I can't actually access to the translated website and activate the cache plug-in.

Do you think that's the only difference?

English website is a translation. And despite of that, despite of no caching plugin, I see the weight of the pictures on the home page is less. Very confusing, the pics are the same.

Hope it helps,
Marco

May 18, 2020 at 9:29 am #6156349

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

therefore I can't actually access to the translated website and activate the cache plug-in.

But if you enter your credentials again, are you not then in the dashboard of that other language?

Can you tell me which plugin are you using for minification? That would explain the number of requests.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 18, 2020 at 5:41 pm #6160513

marcoA-32

I have Siteground as a host and I use their caching plugin, which also includes all the sort of improvements and optimizations tools such a CSS and HTML minification.

When I enter the credential to the english site it redirects me to the italian (main) site for the access.

This is the URL I got redirected to
hidden link

Even after deleting cookies and cache. Just tried.

Can you try yourself please? hidden link ... does it keep you on this page or redirect you?

Regards,
Marco

May 19, 2020 at 7:03 am #6163933

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Would you be willing to provide me with WordPress credentials so I could investigate the issue directly?

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

I marked your next reply as private so that you can safely add credentials.

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 20, 2020 at 7:29 am #6174549

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

How about now?

hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Now the number of requests is the same - since Enfold has different settings per language, that was it.

But why images size differ, I really don't know, the only way to find out is maybe filter images sizes on the above urls.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

image sizes.jpg
these were disabled on secondary languages.jpg
May 20, 2020 at 7:45 am #6174647

marcoA-32

Hi Bruno,
I see.

I will not be using that feature, as I will use the one from the caching plugin from site ground. Do you know why the site is redirecting me when I try to access on the English website?

If I manage to access from the english site I can enable there the Siteground cache plugin.

Thanks,
Marco

May 20, 2020 at 8:06 am #6174775

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Do you know why the site is redirecting me when I try to access on the English website?

I'm not sure about this to be honest, it could be on the server level config or caching issue. However I suggest you try logging from the main domain, is that solution not working?

I was able to browse through various languages in the back end of the site, it is only about switching the language in the top admin bar.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 20, 2020 at 8:39 am #6175243

marcoA-32

Hi Bruno,

yes once I am inside the main domain I can only set the caching plugin for the main domain. This is why I wanted to access from the other websites. I will check with my host.

Thanks for your help, appreciated 🙂

May 20, 2020 at 9:15 am #6175745

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I can only set the caching plugin for the main domain.

I'd say SG works across all domains at once, this is mostly the case with plugins and themes, apart from when this is implemented (such as in themes like Enfold or Avada, where you keep individual settings per language).

Regards,
Bruno Kos

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.