This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Robert 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Robert.

Author Posts
January 18, 2015 at 1:47 pm #544476

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

you helped me once with tags disappearing and you told me to install the new WPML version. It fixed my problem..for a while. Now I have this same problem again. It *think* it happens when I have the same words in different languages.

Let me explain:

Please see both screenshots below. On the screenshot named tags2.jpg you can see a unique feature called "special". The unique features are custom tags of the theme. When I save the tags, the "special" OR the "Unterkunfts-Art", which is the custom type (still a tag) disappears. So, I can save "special" and save the page and it works, but when I then insert "villa" as the custom type (Unterkunfts-Art), the unique feature "special" disappears. And vice versa!! I have this for english and italian translation. It works though in German (the original tag, the other languages are translations of the original tag). The problem is that all 3 languages use the same name (villa) for the custom type and the same name for the unique feature (special).

I have really headaches, because I NEED these tags in order to show specials on my website (filtering tags). As you can see in the debug info, I have the latest WPML plugins and also all other plugins are updated. The theme author doesn't help me at all, he never responds.

So, it would be great if we could fix this problem, because it becomes really a pain... 😉

Thanks, marc

January 19, 2015 at 10:31 am #544832

Robert

I would be happy to help resolve the issue, sorry to hear that the problem persists. It may be that the theme is incompatible in which case I can ask our compatibility team to reach out but this would require the cooperation of the theme author. I need to take a look before determining this.

Do you have a staging site where I could access the site and review the issue. It would be best to have this set up so that we can avoid conflicts with the live site.

Could you provide your WP admin and FTP credentials in the private response field below, I'll take a closer look at your settings and debug the issue. NOTE: Please make a full back-up of the site.

January 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm #544916

Robert

it seems that he FTP credentials do not allow me access to the site, could you please double check those credentials?

When I review the properties found on the archive page for those tags ( domain/?properties-types=villa-de ) all of the items seem to have the tag visible via the edit screen. The archive page however does seem incompatible upon switching languages. I was also able to create a property, apply the Villa tag, save and see the tag.

Is there an expected change on the front end that deals with those particular property type tags that is not functioning? Could you want me through how to recreate the issue?

January 19, 2015 at 1:03 pm #544964

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

the FTP credentials are correct, but I see a double backslash before httpdocs. Just ftp to sardiniavilla.net and use the login and it should work. I just double checked it and could log in with these credentials.

Almost all tags DO work in all languages. However, I have problems with some of them.

To reproduce this problem, go to English version and search for BIANCA. This will show you "Villa Bianca". Open (edit) it and see the Unique features on the right side below the publish section. Below this Unique feature is "Property types". If you enter "Villa" in the property types, the tag "Special" in the unique features disappears after you saved the page. If you enter it again, then the tag "Villa" in property types disappears. I have this over and over also with other properties (posts) and I think mostly with the english and italian pages (which are translations of the original german one).

Further more, if you go to the PROPERTIES - PROPERTY TYPES section (via the left menu), the tag "Villa" has 38 counts, but in German it has 50 counts. I had added it to ALL properties at the beginning, but some disappeared!

Let me know if you can reproduce this error.

thanks, marc

January 19, 2015 at 3:00 pm #545065

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

I saw you have changed the admin language to English. No problem, that's fine.
I still have this issue. For example, if I open a property (post) in English or Italian and save it, the "Villa" tag (property type tag) has gone! I add it again and it remains.. at least I can see it. However, this happens to many posts/properties.

Could you see any issue that might cause this problems?

thanks, marc

January 19, 2015 at 3:46 pm #545118

Robert

I went to Villa Bianca in Italian, saw there was no tag - I added the tag Villa, saved. The Specials section was not removed.

I noticed that your running an older version of the theme (1.2), could you please update the theme (1.3.2) and check if the issue persists?

January 19, 2015 at 11:08 pm #545402

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

let's start with the theme. I have the newest version. The version number you saw is the Child theme. But I have the latest update of the theme! And I have already discussed the problem with the theme author. He said it's a translation related issue.

I don't understand that you couldn't repeat the problem. Maybe sometimes the other tag remains, I could not find any rule why or when or when not. But mostly some of the tags vanish.

I have created a video of my screen showing the passes I do. As you can see in the video, there is the tag "Villa". Then I add the tag "Special" (which normally should have already been there) and save the page. Then the tag "Villa" has gone!! I add again the tag "Special" and save and the tag "Villa" has gone!!!

You can see the video here:
hidden link

I think I will just delete the "problem-tags" and give them different names for different languages. And then we'll see... But for "Villa" it's impossible to rename it to something different...

IF this should solve the problem...

thanks, marc

January 20, 2015 at 9:34 am #545590

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

in addition to my reply yesterday: I have now created new tags, different for each language and I think this solves the problem. EVEN THOUGH the tag "Villa" keeps on disappearing as in the video I linked in the reply before. I am about to rename also the "Villa" tags to something different for each language and see if this helps.

marc

January 20, 2015 at 10:27 am #545634

Robert

I see the problem much clearer now, thank you for providing the video. Before pointing at the theme I need to confirm some things.

1. I am still unable to connect via the FTP, says invalid user name or password direct to the main site. Can you please check those supplied. Then if possible could you enable debug, and or debug logs on the site and tell me if any PHP errors appear?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
Add these the first or add all of these to your wp-config file
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

2. Then can you also please disable any third party plugins aside from those WPML and theme required and check to see if the issue persists?

February 4, 2015 at 8:31 am #554073

marcH-8

Hi Robert,

I got a mail from the robot if I still need help. Well, actually, the problem is NOT resolved. I found the only solution that I am using different words for different languages, even though this is not the best solution. So, normally the word "Villa" is used in English, German and Italian, but this doesn't work on my WP site. So I had to give other names for other languages. The same happens to other words as well. Very strange behavior. Remember, I sent you the video showing the behavior.
If you would have any other solution, don't hesitate to let me know. 😉

thanks, marc

February 4, 2015 at 12:38 pm #554332

Robert

I would be happy to try and resolve, did you recieve my last message? Could you please:

1. I am still unable to connect via the FTP, says invalid user name or password direct to the main site. Can you please check those supplied. Then if possible could you enable debug, and or debug logs on the site and tell me if any PHP errors appear?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
Add these the first or add all of these to your wp-config file
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

2. Then can you also please disable any third party plugins aside from those WPML and theme required and check to see if the issue persists?

March 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm #572019

marcH-8

Hi Robert, I got a note that the ticket is closed. Actually, it's still open, but I have no time right now to investigate and do the things you asked me to do. Either we close the ticket and I will open a new one later on or we leave this open and I will write as soon as I got some time to test and do the things, which will be in the next weeks.
thanks, marc

March 9, 2015 at 10:04 am #573471

Robert

Okay I will close the ticket for the time being, you can open an additional ticket when you are ready to investigate further. When you have time I would recommend setting up a duplicate testing site so that you can edit/test the site without interfering with the live version.

The topic ‘[Closed] Translated tag disappears’ is closed to new replies.