This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.04 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
September 26, 2019 at 3:16 am

maximeS-10

I am trying to: translate categories in my website

I expected to see: I expected to only have a literal translation because I wanted the content of my categories shared between translations without having to duplicate them.

Instead, I got: completely different taxonomies forcing me to duplicate my content which creates some issues with my theme Adforest.

September 26, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4647897

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Before giving you a detailed answer I would need some more details regarding your request. What do you need to achieve? From your message I suppose you need to translate the category labels but keep the same unstraslated content, for example:

We say you have a 'News' category with some posts assigned to it, you want to translate 'News' to 'Noticias' for example and then you want to show all the unstranslated 'News' posts in the 'Noticias' category, right? If so, it is really not possible since your original posts are assigned to the 'News' category, doing so your 'Noticias' category will remain empty, unless you duplicate your content and assign them to the translated category, this is the exactly the approach you want to avoid.

I any case, please, let me know all those details, so, I can understand your issue better. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day,