Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I'm having trouble translating my ACF theme

Solution: Please make sure the ACF layout type fields are set to "copy" and not "translate"

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bill Lafferty 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
December 7, 2020 at 8:21 pm #7610823

Bill Lafferty

Hello,

We delivered Vietnamese translations of a number of pages. Some of the text blocks are not displaying, even though the text was translated and delivered in the xliff file.

I attached screenshots showing a text box with the heading 'APPLY' on the webpage. Then showing the editor, source and target. The next one, "CURRENT CLIENTS", fails to display although it's been translated and delivered.

Is this a CSS setting? Could you kindly advise what might be blocking the rendering?

Thanks very much.
Bill

December 11, 2020 at 5:07 am #7641449

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support.

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

I don't think it's a CSS issue, can you make a small change manually on the page and see if it's shown properly on both language pages? if possible please translate the page with updated text and see if that helps?

Further, We recently released a new version of WPML plugins so can you please update the plugins to the latest version and let me know if that helps.

We push out WPML releases gradually. If your sites haven’t received this update yet, give it some time and you’ll see the update in a few days.

To skip the queue and get the update right away, to the Plugins → Add New page, click the Commercial tab, and then click the Check for updates button.
https://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/wpml-force-plugin-update-1.png

Note: Keep a Backup Before Updating

Can you perform the tests and follow the suggestions and let us know if that helps.

Thanks

December 14, 2020 at 6:10 pm #7662947

Bill Lafferty

Hi Shekhar,

Thanks very much for your response. I made minor a few minor changes and saved them. But it did not help. The text boxes did not appear.

The customer will upgrade to the latest release and test on staging. Will keep you posted, please keep this ticket open.

Thanks and kind regards,
Bill

December 14, 2020 at 10:16 pm #7663983

Bill Lafferty

Hi Shekhar,

The customer did the upgrade but that did not fix the problem. They are getting the message contained in the screenshot. Could you advise?

"You are trying to edit a language that is currently being added by WPML."

Thanks.
Bill

December 15, 2020 at 12:55 pm #7668831

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

That notification is pretty standard and means that you have a translation in progress and it's telling you to please be aware of that before you modify it, so it's not an error.

To continue, I'll need temporary access to your site.

I have just activated the appropriate boxes for the credential information i need from you. they are private so only you and i will be able to see them.

I suggest you create a temporary user, set it as an administrator and then add those credentials in the fields mentioned above.

Also, please let me know where can i see this problem (in what link or page)

December 15, 2020 at 5:16 pm #7671169

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello!

I believe the problem here is the ACF settings.

I can see the fields that are "groups" are set as "translate". since they are structures, they should be set to copy and only the content inside the fields could be set to "translate".

try that and then make a change to the title of the page (so you can force an update since custom fields can't do that) and then try to translate the page again and see if it works now.

Remember that structure types of fields (groups, clones, repeaters, etc) should be set to copy and only the content inside them should be set to something different if needed.

Regards.

December 18, 2020 at 4:17 pm #7695903

Bill Lafferty

Hi Alejandro,

Making the changes to the ACFs worked and the text boxes are now displaying. Thank you for that.

We still face a few challenges:

1. There is a carousel on the top of the Home page that cycles through seven page. Each one contains a background image with overlaid text and/or other image elements. For some reason, the first five show only the background img. Can you look into that using the login creds provided? Screenshot attached.

2. The client mentioned: "Still not able to see the content editors in the back end when viewing the Vietnamese version though." Do you have any ideas why he can't access the content editor?

Thanks.
Bill

December 18, 2020 at 9:13 pm #7696977

Bill Lafferty

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!