This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by solonH 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
October 22, 2016 at 1:28 pm #1120899

solonH

I am trying to: Translate the footer (which is actually a widget) in Greek. I went to VC Widgets->Footer->Multilingual Content Setup and clicked on "Make VC Widget translatable". After that I went to VC Widget and Pressed the "+" symbol next to Footer which created the Greek Version of Footer Widget. However, after translating that it never appears when I am visiting the Greek version of the site. Instead the English version of Footer appears at the bottom of the webpage.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: dealicious.com.cy/el

I expected to see: I expected to see the Greek version on Footer at the bottom of the webpage.

Instead, I got: The English version of Footer

Steps to duplicate the issue: Just visit the site and you can se yourself.

October 24, 2016 at 9:38 am #1121456

Joanna

Hello @solonh,

If this widget is not the part of your theme, could you please check if the issue still occurs with the default theme, e.g. Twenty Sixteen?

If so, could you also deactivate all non-WPML plugins, except the plugins that are required for the widget to work?

Please make a full backup before changing anything. It would be great if you test everything on the copy of the site if the one you mentioned is already live.
I can help you with testing but I'd need to replicate your website locally. For this, I'd need a snapshot of your site which you can create using a plugin called "Duplicator". This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content.

If you already know how Duplicator works (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

Here's a great tutorial on how to use it: hidden link.

Please send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big). In case you decide to share the files, your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it. You can paste the links to the files there. You can also install the Duplicator plugin, create a snapshot and share the credentials to your website. I will then download the files from the admin panel.

Once the problem is resolved I would delete the local site.

October 25, 2016 at 10:28 pm #1123058

solonH

Hi Joanna,

I tried using the Duplicator but I get this error message:
hidden link

I tried the troubleshooting steps they have in FAQ but none worked. Any idea how to fix this? Or is there another way I can replicate my site?

Thanks.

October 26, 2016 at 1:56 pm #1123633

Joanna

Hello @solonh,

If it's okay with you could you share the credentials to your website and FTP? I'd see what I can find on your website and check if I can help with the Duplicator plugin. You will find the fields for WordPress and FTP access below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

October 26, 2016 at 5:04 pm #1123844

Joanna

Thank you for the credentials, @solonh. I'll check what I can find there and get back to you.

October 27, 2016 at 2:27 pm #1124529

Joanna

I noticed that the footer is created using Visual Composer Widget. I also noticed that you have an outdated version of Visual Composer Widgets that require an update to be compatible with your theme.

Could you please update the Visual Composer Widgets plugin and let me know if the issue still occurs?

November 1, 2016 at 10:06 am #1127133

solonH

Hi Joanna,

I updated the Visual Composer Widgets plugin but unfortunately the issue still occurs.

November 1, 2016 at 4:00 pm #1127439

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Hello, Joanna is off today so I am stepping in to help out. I hope that's okay.

The correct way to translate page builder content is to duplicate the content and then click Translate Independently. Could you please try these steps and see if it resolves the issue?
1. Delete the current footer Greek translation. Be sure to delete permanently from the trash, too.
2. Go to VC Widgets -> Footer and instead of clicking the"+" icon, check the box to duplicate the content and then click Duplicate.
3. Go to the Greek footer version and click Translate Independently. Now enter the translated content and click Update.

Once these steps are completed, does the translation now shop up on the frontend?

November 1, 2016 at 4:35 pm #1127462

solonH

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately that didn't work either, although I followed all the steps. Please feel free to try it yourself. You have the credentials for my site.

November 2, 2016 at 12:05 pm #1128133

Joanna

Hello @solonh,

I can confirm that it's not working as it should. In this case, I'll replicate your website locally and debug it further.

In the meantime, could you please update WPBakery Visual Composer to 4.12.1 to make sure that it doesn't solve the issue?

November 2, 2016 at 12:30 pm #1128159

solonH

Hi Joanna,

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade Visual Composer as it only gets updated with Theme updates. I don't have a license for Visual Composer. If you are positive that it's the version of Visual Composer that causes the issue, I can purchase a license and upgrade it now.

November 2, 2016 at 3:42 pm #1128449

Joanna

Hello @solonh,

No, I'm not sure, so if you didn't plan to buy the license, you don't have to do it now. I'll replicate your website and let you know about the results of my debugging.

November 3, 2016 at 12:18 pm #1129221

Joanna

Hello @solonh,

I tested everything and it turned out to be a compatibility issue with the VC Widgets plugin. The plugin doesn't "see" translated content. In this case, I'd suggest you to:
1. Set VC Widgets to not be translatable (since you don't benefit from it).
2. Activate the WPML Widgets plugin.
3. Create the Greek version of your footer widget as another VC Widget (not the translation).
4. On the Appearance->Widgets page, add another AZEXO - VC Widget to the Footer sidebar.
5. Set one of the VC Widgets in the Footer Sidebar to be the English version and choose the English language from the "Display on language" dropdown menu.
6. Set the second VC Widget in the Footer Sidebar to be the Greek one and choose the Greek language from the "Display on language" dropdown menu.

Now, you should have your footer displayed in the correct language.

You'll find more about the WPML Widgets plugin at https://wpml.org/2014/08/display-different-widgets-per-language-wpml-widgets/.

November 3, 2016 at 11:28 pm #1129725

solonH

Thank you very much Joanna!! That worked 🙂