This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 24, 2018 at 3:19 pm #2760894

samv-2

Issue 1: want to translate a footer widget and the links (telephone number, email) are not working.

Issue 2: translated the footer text (copyright + terms & conditions & privacy) to English including a <a> link tag, but it's not working.

Anyone knows how to fix the issue?

September 25, 2018 at 6:56 pm #2765046

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

If this does not resolve the issue, I'd like to have you try a few things so we can try to isolate the issue. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

Disable all plugins except WPML related and then temporarily change the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen. With these settings, is the issue resolved?

September 26, 2018 at 8:40 am #2766479

samv-2

Hello Lauren,

Thanks for your reply. I adjusted the config.php file with the Memory limit lines. However, it won't affect the website at all.

Furthermore, I have created a back-up, deactivated all plug-ins (one-by-one) besides the WPML related plug-ins and afterwards changed the theme default once: issue is not solved. I assume there is something wrong with the WPML / WPBakery combination - since links are not working at all after translation (also CF7 isn't).

September 26, 2018 at 1:29 pm #2767496

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

From your screenshot, I see you have two widgets, one for each language. Instead of using string translation, simply add your translated content directly in the text widget in Appearance -> Widgets. This should then display the correct content per language.

Also, I checked your site and the email link in the footer opens for me. What other link do you see not working? Please try clearing your browser cache and also testing in a different browser.