This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.70 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by craigS-15 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 2:03 pm #4283937

craigS-15

We're using Vik WP hotel booking engine on a hotel website

Booking engine: hidden link

Staging website: hidden link

To see the staging site:
u: ciscottdesign
p: babble.paternal.skirmish

The plugin comes with a translation area that allows content added into the plugin to be translated using the WordPress native functions for language. We've added Chinese translations for one of the rooms using this system. This is the room we've translated to chinese: hidden link

We've added the language switcher to the top bar, however on this room it doesn't seem to switch to the Chinese translated content when activated on the switcher.

I think there's something in the configuration that we're not doing correctly but i can't seem to solve it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

July 25, 2019 at 3:07 pm #4284483

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

First it essential for me to mention that the Vik Booking is not in our compatibility list here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/
Not being on this list does not mean that it is not compatible; it just means we do not know yet if it is. I've also searched our internal documentation ad I couldn't find any record about this plugin.

You wrote: "The plugin comes with a translation area that allows content added into the plugin to be translated using the WordPress native functions for language."
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "be translated using the WordPress native functions for language"
Did you translate this page with WPML or in another way?
Please elaborate on this point and upload screenshot if you can.

Also, please correct this. By looking at the debug info that you have attached I can see that your server WP Memory Limit is set to 40M.
Our recommendations are to have the following as minimal requirements:
- PHP 5.6 and above (this OK with your installation) with a WP Memory Limit of at least 128MB and more if possible.
- MySQL 5.6 and above.
Please follow this link for detailed documentation:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Is it possible for you to change those to the minimum requirement?
You may need to contact your hosting provider for that.
Meeting those baseline requirements is most critical before starting to debug and sometimes solves issues like you experiencing.
Most important is to raise the WP Memory Limit.
Please try to raise it before you contact your hosting company.
You can try and do it from the wp-config.php file in your WordPress installation.
Insert this code in that file.

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it before this line:
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 25, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4285379

craigS-15

Hi Itamar

thanks for getting in touch. I've contacted the support staff at Vik Booking and they've referred me here.

Basically there's rooms on the hotel website and these are created in the plugin with all of the content, and then rendered on the frontend using a shortcode. There's also another area within the plugin that allows users to add in translated content for each of these rooms using languages that are enabled within WordPress. I've done a quick screencast here to show this: hidden link

The response i had from Vik support is this:

VikBooking allows you to translate the contents that you insert in the plugin itself (like the rooms, the rate plans and so on) thanks to the WordPress native functions for the language. The language switcher must be configured and handled, as well as all the languages, from a plugin like WPML or Polylang.

I'll also update our memory limit now, thanks for the advice

Cheers

July 26, 2019 at 2:40 pm #4290183

craigS-15

Hi Itamar, just following up to see if you can help at all?

Thanks

July 28, 2019 at 2:26 pm #4295561

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

WPML operates according to WordPress's way of handling translations. https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/handbook/translating/requesting-a-new-locale/.
But WPML's Language Switcher can only handle translations that were made with WPML. It could not handle translations that were made with other plugins even if the translations were done according to WordPress' rules.

I would suggest that you would try to translate the content of the plugin with the methods that WPML offers and see if the Language Switcher works. We have extensive documentation on our site here. https://wpml.org/documentation/. If you need any help on this, please let me know.

If you want me to test for you the possibility to translate this plugin's content, then I've created a test site where you can install this plugin. You can access it through this link:
hidden link
Through this link, you will be automatically logged in. (If nobody logs in the test site will be available for one week from today.)
Could you please install the VixWP plugin and its add-ons and see if the issue is replicable on a clean WordPress installation?
Please configures WPML as it is configured on your site (default language and one other language). Please also make sure that you are installing the latest version of the plugin.

It also would be great if you could contact the authors of the VikWP plugin and urge them to join our Go Global Program. You can find details about it here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/
We will be happy to cooperate with the authors in making their plugin officially compatible with WPML.

Thanks,
Itamar.

August 5, 2019 at 3:24 pm #4341631
craigS-15

Hi Itamar,

I think we've made some progress on the issue above, however this has led us to a different issue. When a page has a translation enabled, it seems to lose a lot of its styling.

For example, if you take a look at our live site here:
hidden link

And compare it to our staging site here:
hidden link

(Staging site credentials are username:dev, password:letmein)

You'll see some of the styling is missing. If i delete the translated page that corresponds with this, we get the styling back. This seems to happen on every page that's translated, not just this example.

Is lost styling a common issue on translated pages and is this something you could help with?

Thanks

August 6, 2019 at 11:29 am #4346769

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

Please let me know if you need more help with the VikWP booking engine issue or mark this ticket as resolved.

Thanks,
Itamar.

August 7, 2019 at 12:54 pm #4355245

craigS-15

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!