This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 12:55 pm #4400869

boukeS

I am trying to: not working

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

August 15, 2019 at 1:40 pm #4401249

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

To best troubleshoot the issue, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

August 15, 2019 at 3:41 pm #4402265

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending the files. In my test site, I deactivated all non WPML plugins (I kept the current theme active). I then went to WPML -> Languages and set the URL format to adding languages as parameters. Next, I went to Settings -> Permalinks and resaved the permalinks. After these steps, all of the pages worked correctly and the URLs were formatted.

Before these steps, even when I switch to adding languages in directories, the language directory (for example /uk/ or /be/) was being stripped from the URL. After the steps above, everything worked correctly even after re-activating the other plugins. Could you please test these same steps on your live site and let me know the results?

August 16, 2019 at 6:54 am #4404937

boukeS

HI, When i follow these steps then i see that the first language is working. But when i switch to another language, than its not working anymore. When i switch back to the begin language, then none of the posts doesn't work anymore.

August 16, 2019 at 4:31 pm #4407583

Lauren
Supporter

I have sent some instructions in the private reply previous to this message. Please let me know once the migration is complete and I will continue troubleshooting there.

August 20, 2019 at 7:19 am #4421013

boukeS

Hi,

I have migrated the site to cloudways. I hope this works for you.

August 20, 2019 at 7:43 pm #4426197

Lauren
Supporter

It looks like the issue is coming from your theme customizations. if you switch to the parent theme Total, you can see that you can switch between languages without any problems when viewing a theme page. For example:
hidden link

I suggest removing the custom code snippets/templates that you have created until you find which one is causing the page error.

August 21, 2019 at 6:53 am #4428343

boukeS

thanks,

We see it indeed, nice that it actually works in the basics. Can you see which code exactly goes wrong? Then we can search in this more specifically.

I'd like to hear it from you.

August 21, 2019 at 1:03 pm #4431531

Lauren
Supporter

It is outside the scope of our customer support to support any type of custom code, so I'm not able to decipher through the custom content to further troubleshoot. I suggest temporarily removing each custom snippet one a time, and this should help isolate which is causing the problem for you and you can then further investigate your code.

In addition, if you need assistance with customization, I can suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors