This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 38 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
June 14, 2019 at 5:54 pm #4023431

yvonneS-4

I have watched your getting started video several times, but I still need help and I think I need one page one step at a time.

I am in the translation dashboard and I have selected the HOME page. Now there is only the English flag to be seen but not the French. (at the right hand side). Also the page is in German now, so it should show the German flag?

I would need is a translation into English and French.

How do I proceed? Put home page in translation basket?
Also do I need to make a copy of the home page as it is?

Thank you

June 14, 2019 at 7:07 pm #4023823

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The Home page on the Translation Dashboard frefers to the German Homepage.

As you can see the language filter "German" is greyed as the page only exists in German so far. At the bottom of the screen the filter are preset to translate the page into English and French.

Simply click the button "Add selected content to translation basket". Then switch the tab to Translation Basket and assign/apply the selection.

The translation jobs will now be available at WPML -> Translations.

More information about how to create translator and more you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 4:24 pm #4053325

yvonneS-4

1. Hello, I have translated the HOME page into English. But there are parts that have not been translated, like the hero section and the part about "services". It's still in German. How do I translate them? Ignore the warning and translate in the page? or better somewhere else?

2. Some parts in the English version are missing. eg the Portfolio and in the footer the 1st column the serach field and the follow us FB disappeared. How do I fix that?

June 19, 2019 at 5:47 pm #4053669

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The footer will need to be translated with String Translation.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

For the other issues I would like to take a look at your site in order to verify the settings.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 7:17 pm #4054199

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that it seems the new version of WPBakery includes new features. I was able to make the sections available on the TranslatioN Editor by adding the following custom xml config to WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Config:

<wpml-config>
    <shortcodes>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>vntd_hero_section</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>heading</attribute>
                <attribute>subtitle</attribute>
                <attribute>btn1_label</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>icon_box</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>title</attribute>
                <attribute>text</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>special_heading</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>title</attribute>
                <attribute>subtitle</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
    </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

More information here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

Anyhow, there is another issue when going to String Translation.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Select here the filter for the domain "Widgets". You should see now all strings that are related to Widget titles. Some of these strings appear in German, and usually you are able to assign those strings another language, but the option is not working on your site.

Also make sure when creating Widgets to assign them to visible for "All languages" and then translate them with String Translation.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

Anyhow, for some reason can not change the string languages. I am currently debugging about this issue and will get back to you once I find the cause for the issue.

As workaround you might create the Widgets again, but this time make sure to create them in English and then translate them into German on String Translation.

Theme and plugin options, like for example the search field placeholder also can be translated with String Translation but those string will need to be located and added manually by using the option "translate texts in admin screens".

Further, the menu was unitl now only created for the default language. You will first need to translate all pages in order to create the menus. To translate it go to Appearance -> Menus. You will need to click the "+" icon on the right side and create a new menu for each language. Further, you can sync menus, and translate them with only one click. You find this option at WPML -> WP Menus Sync.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 8:10 pm #4054459

yvonneS-4

Thanks Andreas,

great!

I will try the footer fix, too.

1. In the English version where it says " some examples from our portfolio" below that should be the portfolio visible, but it doesn't show. See screenshot of German version with portfolio example showing and English version doesn't show it.
In the backend of the Bakery builder it is there, but it's not visible

Any ideas?

Thanks

June 19, 2019 at 8:38 pm #4054605

yvonneS-4

I have moved another page "Ueber uns" and translated what was available, but also on this page more than half of the text is not available for translation. As a result, please see: hidden link.
All the text that is still in German did not show available for translation.

I hope you can help. Thank you.

June 19, 2019 at 9:04 pm #4054721

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Additionally, to my last email.

It seems there is an compatiblity issue between WPML String Translation and the plugin Apply Online.

I realized that the issue about not beeing able to change the default language of a string on String Translation is solved if the plugin Apply Online is disabled.

This issue also appears on a new installation of WordPress and I have escalate ti to our compatiblity team in order to work on a solution.

In the meantime I would advise you to disable the Apply Online plugin, unless it is necessary for the site to function.

I will be in contact as soon I receive a workaround. Let me know if you do have any questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm #4054773

yvonneS-4

The other questions I have I emailed before.

I will disable the plugin.

Thank you

June 19, 2019 at 9:08 pm #4054775

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

Sorry, as I still had the ticket open I did not see your last replies.

I will be revising the issues with WPBakery right now and let you know about the results.

In the meantime could you please install the WPBakery Page Builder Version 6.0.3 on the following test site i order to test it for compatibility?

One Click Login: hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 9:22 pm #4054795

yvonneS-4

WPBakery plugin is installed

June 19, 2019 at 9:22 pm #4054797

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

As far I can see the translation of Protfolio worked, but in order to display Portfolios it is mandatory to translate them.

May I ask how this custom post types was created? I can see it is set to "translatable" inside the WPML -> Settings -> Post Type Translation but the Porfolio do not show translation options.
You could try to simply go to Portfolio and change the language in the top admin bar. Then create the Portfolios for the other languages respectively.

An alternative would be to set the settings for this post type to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language". This way the origi9nal portofolios will be displayed on all pages without translations for such portfolios.
See screenshot.

The page "Über uns" is not completely translated yet. Please finish the translation first and I will debug the issue from there. I will further provide you an explaination about how to create the custom XML config.

Please do not miss to add the WPBakery Themeto the test site which I created. I will need to test the plugin for compatiblity on order to escalate the issue.

Leave me a short notification once the site is ready.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 9:31 pm #4054827

yvonneS-4

The page "ueber uns" is as much translated as I can, I think. That is the issue. It doesn't show the not translated parts in the translation editor, the one still in German on the page.

June 19, 2019 at 10:26 pm #4054993

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I was able to add the fields, however, it does not work as expected for the list items.

Further, I see now that those WPBakerz modules are coming from the theme plugin
Engage Core. Please add the theme and the plugin ot the test site for further testing.

Leave me short notification once the theme and the plugin are installed.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 10:30 pm #4055021

yvonneS-4

Link doesn't go to login page.