Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by massimoC-19 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
November 5, 2017 at 4:26 pm #1421141

massimoC-19

Hello,
I just bought WPML and I am still trying to learn how to use it. I was hoping it had some kind off visual editor to help me translate areas on the screen as some other translators do, but it does not.
I need to manually translate the title of my landing page (www.bbilgelso.com) from Italian to English. I need to enter the manual translation for the title and the meta title. These are also very important for SEO.
I am not an expert, and I am learning to customize my web page, but it looks I am not capable to change the translation of the title with WPML.
Is this possible?
Thanks
Max

November 7, 2017 at 9:58 am #1422873

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

(1) Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

(2)Translating Title of Landing page
Translating the various areas of your theme and plugin information depends on how the theme/plugin has been coded. Please upload a screenshot of the exact strings you are trying to translate (see image)?

It may be that your homepage is using custom fields to be be rendered as opposed to a normal WordPress page. IF this is the case, you will might need to create a wpml-config.xml file for the theme if the theme you are using is not already compatible with WPML.

I can help you do this but I do need that you do the following
2.1 Clarify the location of the texts to translate using a screenshot
2.2 Tell me how you create the home page and where you enter the title for the homepage if it is not a normal wordpress page.

(3) SEO Title and meta title
If you are using SEO Yoast - these are normally translatable via String Translation as part of the normal page translation process (see image).

I wait for your feedback and additional information.

November 7, 2017 at 2:15 pm #1423287

massimoC-19

Hi Yvette,
thanks for your assistance.
I provided the debug code.
I run a wordpress site (I am not an expert, done everything mysenf) with YOAST SEO and with the TEMPLATIC Hotel Booking theme, just updated to the most recent versions.
The areas I was trying to translate were the title areas, and I believe I made it, by looking for answers to previous questions in your support forum. I suggest you to make the title translation simpler, as everyone get stuck into that at the beginning of the use of WPML.
I do not understand, thousgh, what happens to the translations: If I enter hidden link and then select the english flag, the translation is perfect. But if I use a computer in the states and then open the main hidden link linf (www.bbilgelso.com/en is opened instead of hidden link ) the translations are wrong.
What did I do wrong?
Please let me know if this clarifies.
Thanks
Max

November 7, 2017 at 4:07 pm #1423438

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Don´t worry about being at the start of an interesting and rewarding learning curve! 3 years ago I also had no idea about WordPress at all. It´s a good place to start and it has a very supportive community to help you learn.

Here is where things are confusing you:

hidden link
and
hidden link

These are NOT the same sties.
Do you have a wordpress installation also existing in a subdirectory of your other site?

If your American site is redirecting to this other site, then you can ask your hosting provider for help on how to make sure this is not happening by looking at the DNS records that are defined on your server.

I hope this helps you.

November 7, 2017 at 4:46 pm #1423496

massimoC-19

Hi Hyvette,
thanks for your reply.
I just spoke to siteground and they told me that there are no subfolders or subdomains, so the problems must be different.
I don't know if cloudflare could be the problem or sucuri but I really doubt it.
Any suggestions?
Max

November 8, 2017 at 7:35 am #1423994

Yvette
Supporter

hmmm.

Here is what I can suggest. First, take some diagnotic steps to confirm the problem you are facing:

1. Deactivate all non-WPML plugins
2. Change your theme temporarily to Twenty Seventeen.
3. Does the redirection still happen?

4. Install the following plugins
ARI Adminer
File Manager

5. Temporary Access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you

Thanks

November 8, 2017 at 4:04 pm #1424820

massimoC-19

Do we want to set up a video call ?

November 8, 2017 at 4:54 pm #1424904

massimoC-19

Hi Hyvette,
I am seriosly taking into consideration the possibility of cancelling my subscription to WPML.
Honestly I quickly bought it as I thought it was a very consolidated and efficient plugin, but by reading all the forum questions, many on the same topic and with everyone experiencing in the time the same issues I had, I either feel WPML is too difficult to implement for everyday people like me, or it is still immature and incomplete.
My site is up, and it worled actually better when I enabled transposh to do automatic translations. Now it is wrong and it is down most of the time.
Can you comment on this? I feel a little frustrated.
Thanks
Max

November 9, 2017 at 12:37 am #1425364

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I can try to answer your questions as you asked them.

1. Original language for strings from themes/plugins
You wrote: "...The bad thing is that all the flags on my strings are to be in english, despite the texts are in italian and I believe I set italian as my main language and english as a secondary one. Why do I need to change all the languages into italian now?.."

Your setting in theme and plugins localization has set that the strings are supposed to be in English (see image). In general, this is true. I looked at the text domain "Supreme", for example, and I can see that there are some string that are in Italian but have the English flag. However, the majority of the strings are in English and have the English flag.

Short answer: you configured the localization to do this and in general, it seems to be correct. Commercial plugin /theme are usually written/delivered with English strings but there are cases where the plugin/theme authors are non-English.

2. Site Switching
You write: "..when I switch to english, and the italian flag is shown, if I try to click the italian flag, the english page is shown again...."

I could not replicate this behaviour on your system.

3. Product Insatisfaction
You wrote: "... I either feel WPML is too difficult to implement for everyday people like me, or it is still immature and incomplete....My site is up, and it worled actually better when I enabled transposh to do automatic translations. Now it is wrong and it is down most of the time.
Can you comment on this? "

= ( Well, I would not say that WPML is an "easy" plugin (if that comment serves any purpose) and would also agree that using all the features - especially plugin/theme localization- requires something more than a beginner or end-user experience with WordPress. However, human translation still provides a more quality end-user experience to localisation than automatic/machine translation of content. So I guess it is up to each person to evaluate the tradeoff that the complexity provides to their website.

If you feel that strongly about the experience you have had, there is a way to ask for a refund here;
https://wpml.org/purchase/refunds-policy/

Honesty is certainly valued but please do provide your feedback in a constructive way. Perhaps there is a better way to prepare potential clients regarding the skills that are expected/required to best use the WPML suite.

Does this answer your question(s)?

November 9, 2017 at 3:07 pm #1426171

massimoC-19

Hello Yvette,

let me first of all answer the last comment you made, about the constructive way to post a message and to "do provide your feedback in a constructive way".

I believe all my posts were extremely constructive and aimed to explain you and eventually possible users what I have been going through since I bought WPML, but I would like to clarify, very briefly.

I am a beginner, meaning that I am not an expert of php, html, wordpress. All you see on my website is something that I have studied and applied, without nobody's help. I am a physicist and do completely different things, so I checked forums, studied books and came up to a probably decent wordpress site.

Till last week I have used TRANSPOSH as a plugin to build a kind of multilingual site, and I could have kept using it, although it is everything but a multilingual plugin. But it served my purpose and it was easy to implement, although very limited. Then I used another package by a competitor company, and it had a very nice visual editor. You pointed it to a string and you could enter the translation. Easy and very effective.

Then a friend that I trust a lot spoke to me about WPML saying it was great. Since you do not offer any trial package, I decided to take the risk and trust her (and you) and I bought it. I was expecting more than the other package I had before, and also a more friendly package.

In the last week I have basically worked 12 hours a day, giving up other things, to learn how to use WPML, and I believe I now understand quite well 20% of it. It is an excellent package but it is not for beginners or people who don't want to spend 12 hours a day solving issues. Just to give you an example, after struggling 6 hours to find out how to translate shortcode ultimate entries, I gave up and looked in the forum, and I magically found out that... WPML does not translates shortcode ultimate strings. How could I have ever imagined?

Now, I want to make a long story short: I like WPML, I will kee it, I will not ask for any refund, and I hope you support guys will help me usi et properly.

Hope this slarifies.

Coming to your questions, I will try to answer all of them:

Your setting in theme and plugins localization has set that the strings are supposed to be in English (see image). In general, this is true. I looked at the text domain "Supreme", for example, and I can see that there are some string that are in Italian but have the English flag. However, the majority of the strings are in English and have the English flag.

Short answer: you configured the localization to do this and in general, it seems to be correct. Commercial plugin /theme are usually written/delivered with English strings but there are cases where the plugin/theme authors are non-English.

I NEED TO CHANGE THIS AND SET IT TO ITALIAN. I DON'T KNOW HOW I CAN HAVE MADE THIS MISTAKE, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SET IT TO ENGLISH. CAN i DO IT NOW WITHOUT AFFECTING THE WORK I HAVE DONE?

2. Site Switching
You write: "..when I switch to english, and the italian flag is shown, if I try to click the italian flag, the english page is shown again...."

I could not replicate this behaviour on your system.

YES I FIXED IT. THE CONFLICT WITH TRANSPOSH GENERATED IT.

3. Product Insatisfaction
You wrote: "... I either feel WPML is too difficult to implement for everyday people like me, or it is still immature and incomplete....My site is up, and it worled actually better when I enabled transposh to do automatic translations. Now it is wrong and it is down most of the time.
Can you comment on this? "

= ( Well, I would not say that WPML is an "easy" plugin (if that comment serves any purpose) and would also agree that using all the features - especially plugin/theme localization- requires something more than a beginner or end-user experience with WordPress. However, human translation still provides a more quality end-user experience to localisation than automatic/machine translation of content. So I guess it is up to each person to evaluate the tradeoff that the complexity provides to their website.

YOU ARE RIGHT. THIS IS USUALLY WHAT TRIAL PERIODS ARE. I AM NOT SURE WPML OFFERS ONE OR... IF IT DOES... I DIDN'T KNOW.

By the way, I hope we can solve these issues and I can keep use WPML. Afterall I bought the lifetime license... have to 🙂

November 10, 2017 at 1:16 pm #1427020

Yvette
Supporter

Good morning

1. Feedback
You wrote: "..I believe all my posts were extremely constructive and aimed to explain you and eventually possible users what I have been going through.."

I agree - please don´t think I have thought your feedback has ever not been well done.

2.Original Language of Texts
You wrote: "... I DON'T KNOW HOW I CAN HAVE MADE THIS MISTAKE..:" This is set as the "default" value when you install the module String Translation.

You did not make any mistake. I took a closer look at how the theme is storing the personalization options you enter. Normally this is stored to the wp-options table...but your theme is working a bit differently.

You should go to String Translations and modify/translate the correct string. (see images).

3. Trial Period
After spending some time with your theme, i think you had the unfortunate circumstance of using a theme that is not written in the same way as most WPML -compatible themes are written. But don´t worry...I can help you translate the strings.

Let´s start with the home-page sliders and move from there.

November 10, 2017 at 2:53 pm #1427140

massimoC-19

Hi Yvette,
thanks for your detailed instructions.
I believe I am done with the header and slider translations. Also I finally know how to work with the string translations. It is looking different now. Did you make any changes or am I simply understanding things better?
max

November 10, 2017 at 3:08 pm #1427151

Yvette
Supporter

I did not make any changes apart from changing the original language for the strings in domain "templatic" that were matching the entries you had already translated in domain "THEME_DOMAIN".

There are many ways for theme authors to create their theme solutions so the "match" between our localisation solution (String Translaitons) and how the authors have decided to implement localisation sometimes is challenging.

In your case, the theme authors have done things a bit different that made the process of localisation a bit confusing.

November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm #1427158

massimoC-19

What are the other domains I should set to the original language? The site is now really appearing multilingual, although I have to complete most of the translations.

November 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm #1427300

massimoC-19

I read this message in my wordpress site:

Le pagine del tuo sito si caricheranno più velocemente

Questa versione di WPML include delle nuove impostazioni che ti consentiranno di rendere più rapido il caricamento del tuo sito. Ti consigliamo di modificare le seguenti impostazioni, che sono tutte disponibili in WPML->Localizzazione del tema e dei plugin:
Assume that all texts in PHP strings are in English: Almost all themes and plugins have texts in English. Reducing the check for the string's language simplifies and shortens the string translation process.
Applica le modifiche

Should I apply the variations?

Max