This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas Neuber 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas Neuber.

Author Posts
March 27, 2013 at 10:34 pm #115433

Ian

Hi
This seems to be a very long ongoing issue but the solutions I have come across do not seem complete as yet.

In my particular case I have both the usual WordPress login screen and a custom theme login page.

I want the user to see either 'Log In' or 'Log Out' in my top navigation menu depending on if he is already logged in or not.

I achieved this by the following code in my functions.php file:
add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu_items', 'add_loginout_link', 10, 2 );
function add_loginout_link( $items, $args ) {
if (is_user_logged_in() && $args->theme_location == 'top-menu') {
$items .= '

• <a href="'. wp_logout_url() .'">'. __('Log Out') .'</a>
  • ';
    }
    elseif (!is_user_logged_in() && $args->theme_location == 'top-menu') {
    $items .= '

• <a href="**Website My Account Link OR wp-login.php**">'. __("Log In") .'</a>
  • ';
    }
    return $items;
    }

The webpage link option takes the user to the translated theme login page which is preferable to the wp-login.php option which takes the customer to the WordPress generic login.

Now if I use the theme login page URL option then the user will be taken to the English language Login page - not good! Although you can translate the menu in WordPress - you cannot use the Appearance - Menus method to translate the functions.php Log in/out URL automatically. So Using this method means I have to translate the WordPress generic login page and make it switchable between languages.

I can see how to translate the WordPress Login page BUT I do not see how you switch between languages when landing on that page and it needs to be in two languages.

If I try to use the Menu method then I am stuck with having both Login and Logout as required menu links which is counter intuitive and also wastes the space available in my navigation menu.

So can you provide a method where I can use the functions.php method to provide a smart Log In / Logout which is translatable with code to effect it please?

March 28, 2013 at 7:31 am #115458

Andreas Neuber
    Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Hello Ian,

Interesting question - have you shared with any of my colleagues website credentials already?

The topic ‘[Closed] Translating Logins Problem’ is closed to new replies.