This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am trying to translate menu items in the food and drink menu pro plugin. The author says that this plugin is compatible with WPML but the price value is not copied to the translated menu item. Solution: Edit the English version of the products missing the price, scroll down to the bottom of the page, press the Apply button in the Custom fields section (to copy the price value), and update the product. Another method that you can try is to set Use WPML's Translation Editor to off and create the translation of the menu items using the default WordPress editor. This way you'll be able to add all the properties to the translated product without being worries that something might be missing or not copied from the original product.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martinM-27 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
July 13, 2019 at 12:23 pm

martinM-27

Hi there,

I am trying to:

Translate menu items in the food and drink menu pro plugin. The author says that this plugin is compatible with WPML

When translating menu items I first clicked 'Duplicate' and then looked for the menu item in the Chinese listing of menu items in order to do the translation.

When I click 'Edit' for the menu item in the Chinese listing I get a warning when the screen comes up that this page will be translated independently and so will not be synchronised as part of the menu synchronisation process.

What process should I follow to translate the menu items correctly, so that they synchronise as part of the menu synchronisation process?

The plugin is the Food and Drink Menu Pro plugin, which the author says is compatible with WPML, but he also says that questions relating to translation should be directed to WPML as he is not familiar with the plugin.

Many thanks,

Martin.

July 15, 2019 at 4:28 am #4207047

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Martin,

I just looked for the compatibility status between the Food and Drink Menu Pro plugin and WPML (https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/) but it seems that our compatibility team never checked it. When a plugin is tested for full compatibility with WPML, it appears on the link I attached.
I can still have a look at this and see what's going on. First of all, can you tell me what are the elements that need to be synchronised, please? I checked this menu hidden link and it seems that the element that are missing from the Chinese version (hidden link) is the price. Am I right? Is there anything else should be copied? I just want to make sure that I'm checking the part of the menu.

Thanks,
Radu

July 15, 2019 at 5:56 am #4207301

martinM-27

Hi Radu,

Many thanks - I'll point out to the plugin author that the plugin hasn't been checked!

Yes, the price is one item that is not being converted to Chinese, but the item flags should also be copied. However, these are small images, so they should just be copied, not translated.

The problem I'm facing is that when I attempt to create a Chinese version of a menu item I'm following the process I use for translating Custom Fields when Advanced Custom Fields is being used - i.e.:

- Click to edit the English version of a menu item

- Click 'Duplicate'

- Look for the duplicated menu item in the Chinese listing - with ACF this duplicated version includes all the custom fields which can then be translated or copied.

But when I click 'Duplicate' in the English version of a menu item and then go to the item in the Chinese listing a warning comes up that the item will be translated independently and will not be synchronised with the original language version.

It may just be, therefore, that I need to follow a different process.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Martin.

July 16, 2019 at 10:06 am #4218797

Radu
Supporter

Hey Martin,

I'm not familiar with this plugin but I checked it a bit and I could see that the price was actually not copied from English to Chinese. Basically, what I did was to edit the English version of the products missing the price, scroll down to the bottom of the page, press the Apply button in the Custom fields section (to copy the price value), and update the product. Once I did this for all the products from this page hidden link, the prices appeared here too hidden link. Can you try to do the same for the other products and tell me how things work now, please?

Thanks,
Radu

July 17, 2019 at 1:37 am #4224757

martinM-27

Hi Radu,

That worked, many thanks!

My question now is that I made those changes on existing products that have been translated, but I'm concerned about the warning that tells me the item will be translated independently and not synchronised with the original when I attempt to edit the Chinese version.

As I have to tell the Chinese translator how to do the translations can you confirm the approach I should tell them to use for new items - i.e.:

- To click 'Duplicate' look for the Chinese page in the Chinese listing and translate (which produces the warning that it will be translated independently)

- Click 'Translate' and do the translations from there (I'm concerned that the custom fields will not copy across).

Again, many thanks for your patience and help!

Cheers,

Martin.

July 18, 2019 at 9:24 am #4236563

Radu
Supporter

Hey Martin,

Now that the custom field is already set to be copied, you shouldn't have this issue with the price not being copied to the translation.

Another method that you can try is to set Use WPML's Translation Editor to off and create the translation of the menu items using the default WordPress editor. This way you'll be able to add all the properties to the translated product without being worries that something might be missing or not copied from the original product.

Thanks,
Radu

July 18, 2019 at 11:43 am #4238197

martinM-27

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!