Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Cara Mc Donough 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
February 22, 2018 at 9:46 am

Cara Mc Donough

Hello,
We have a new website and I have completed the English version. Proceeding with the German translations and re-translating some pages, I ran into problems yesterday afternoon with the translation pages. The majority of the Elements are not showing for translation. FYI, I am using the X Theme and Cornerstone builder.

Trying to solve the problem myself, these are the steps I took yesterday:
• Checked updates and Theme and compatibility with WPML
• Deactivated all Plugins, except for Cornerstone
• Still no result and majority of elements still missing on Translation pages, so deleted ALL WPML plugins
• Reinstalled and activated all WPML Plugins
• Deleted all German Pages, also ensuring noting was left in Trash
• Upgraded memory to 256M
This morning proceeded with translating the elements listed on the Translation Homepage, which was only 30% of all elements, saved and viewed online.

Attached a screenshot of the output from the German homepage: hidden link

Admin Access has been provided, as this matter is urgent. I reported the same problem last summer, which took months and a new release to solve!

Appreciate your swift assistance.

Thanks,
Cara

February 22, 2018 at 6:42 pm #1526654

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

When I access your website in the secondary language, the site appears to be appearing correctly, without those shortcodes you posted in the screenshot.

An idea would be to try to move some block and update the original content. Then move the block to the correct location again and save the original content again to see if the fields will be added correctly to the translation editor.

So that I can more easily check why some fields are not being displayed for translation, please, can I install the Duplicator or All in One Migration plugin to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

Thank you.

February 26, 2018 at 8:08 am #1528801

Cara Mc Donough

Thanks Bruno for your reply. Sorry about my delay in coming back, especially since this is urgent but I had a last minute business trip.

I checked this morning and the German version is now showing and the screenshot forwarded on Thursday is no longer applicable.

However...I have discovered that the new Text and Button elements that were introduced by X Theme...last October/November as far as I can remember are not showing up in the translation pages. I tried moving blocks, updating, rearranging, etc. but they are still not showing.

Other clients that are using the same Theme must have the same issue?

FYI, it is not possible to install Duplicator. I tried last July when I had the same issue with elements not being displayed. This is the result of the Beta Server and hosting package that we are temporarily using until the website goes live.

Otherwise, if the "All in One Migration" works then please go ahead and try and install.

Finding a solution soon the problem is key.

Appreciate your swift action.

Many thanks,
Cara

February 26, 2018 at 12:48 pm #1529154

Cara Mc Donough

Bruno, quick update.
As soon as I proceed to translate other pages, the same result as Thursday.
Example, I tried translating the Contact page, which does not have too many elements.
The Text element and Gravity Form is missing on the translation page.

I tried re-arranging and re-saving, yes there appears to be an update for the German page, but still the result is the same as Thursday, see attached.

Appreciate your swift action.

Many thanks,
Cara

February 26, 2018 at 3:41 pm #1529410

Cara Mc Donough

Bruno, I need to move forward on the translation.
The X Theme Support team were very quick to comeback on this issue, which is an ongoing issue with all X Theme clients using WPML.

Their recommendation is to build the translation manually, which means coping the English version of the page directly in Cornerstone and then translating line for line into the 2nd language.

I have already tried the "Career" page and it worked. Of course, this is not satisfactory and the objective having paid so much money for the full lifetime license.

Also, I am very cautious about continuing with translating every single page. What happens when there is an update? Will the pages disappear, or will there be a page error?

How should I proceed? What advice is WPML giving other X Theme with Cornerstone Builder clients?

Thanks for your feedback,
Cara

February 26, 2018 at 7:39 pm #1529722

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

I tested your site in my testing environment and I noticed the problem you are reporting.

In fact, this is a compatibility issue. Recently the Cornerstone team made a change in the way some elements are added to the site and this causes WPML not to be able to find some strings for translation.

You can see on our errata page a little more detail: https://wpml.org/errata/cornerstone-shortcodes-arent-rendered-in-the-translated-pages/

As you have already updated your website, doing the translation manually seems to be the best option.

- Click on the WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content
- Look for "How to translate posts and pages"
- Select the "Create translations manually" option
- Click on the "Save" button
- Click on the Pages > All Pages
- Click to edit the Home page
- Click to edit the translation

After following these steps, you should be able to translate your page correctly. Note that our developers are already aware of this and working so that soon it is possible to edit the pages via Translation Editor again.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

February 27, 2018 at 7:57 am #1530084

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bruno,
I have followed the steps, which means that I can now proceed with the manual translation in Cornerstone directly. Is this correct?

Do you have a timeline as to the fix with the problem with the new elements for the X Theme?

Thanks again,
Cara

February 27, 2018 at 10:02 pm #1531154

Bruno
Supporter

Hi Cara,

>>> I have followed the steps, which means that I can now proceed with the manual translation in Cornerstone directly. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. It is currently necessary to translate manually. As these options have been changed within the Cornerstone code, our team will need to change the structure of our code to work with this new version of Cornerstone.

>>> Do you have a timeline as to the fix with the problem with the new elements for the X Theme?

Unfortunately, we do not have a deadline when this is going to be fixed, but it should not take long. This will probably be fixed in the next version of WPML.

Thank you.

February 28, 2018 at 7:50 am #1531390

Cara Mc Donough

Thanks Bruno, I made good progress with the manual translation yesterday and will continue working on the rest of the pages today.

Thanks for your help,
Cara