This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Product is not translated and overwritten with original content. Products are not visible anymore.

Solution: The Plugin Awesome Support caused the issue. After deactivating everzthing was back to normal.

Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by simon-wedegeP 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 2, 2019 at 6:05 pm #3728027


My WP is in English and added language is Danish.

When I create a product in English and then translate it to Danish through WooCommerce Multilingual, it translates the original product into English and the Danish version is nowhere to be found.

I tried to delete all products, when it did a similar thing: When translating the original English products, they disappeared and kept the English language in my Danish products.

I tried to revert to an earlier backup, but the VaultPress failed for some reason. I hope you can help, before I have to revert back manually.

As you can see on the attachment, it looks like the product has been translated, but the translation is missing in the Product list. And it just translated the original English language into Danish.

May 2, 2019 at 8:18 pm #3729011

Andreas W.

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)


Thank you for contacting the WPML Support.

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

Please disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.
More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:

Kind regards

May 3, 2019 at 9:17 am #3732527


The WP plugin "Awesome Support" somehow messed up the translations made in Woocommerce Multilingual. Deactivating the plugin seems to have solved the issue. I'll try find an alternative plugin.