This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user has modified some strings in English, but he does not get his strings in the website but rather the old English strings. Solution: - Deactivate the option to "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" in WPML->Theme and plugins localization->Localization options->Other options. - Reecreate ST DB cache in WPML->Support->Troubleshooting.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by natasjaS-2 1 week, 3 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
October 4, 2019 at 2:42 pm #4696569

natasjaS-2

Hi there,

I would like to change the default English text in English (but put other English words in some strings, so it will be more suitable for my website). How can I change "translate" the default English text of some plugins on my website?

I look forward to hear your solution.

Kind regards, Natasja

October 4, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4696767

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @natasjas-2, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

There is a workaround you can try in order for you to change a hardcoded string without changing it in the theme's actual code.

To do this, please go to WPML > Languages > Add new language and add a random language. Then scroll down to Hide languages and hide this new language.

Now go to WPML > String Translation, Select your string then click on Change language of selected string. Select the new created language.

Now, if you click on translations will have an option to "translate" it on the original language of the theme.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

To ensure the quickest and most accurate support, please provide your debug information so that I can get a look at some of your configurations. We have an excellent article on how to located here: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/.
NOTE: Please be sure to check the box to indicate you can provide debug info and paste your debug info in the debug field provided, and NOT in the general response field.

All the best,
Diego

October 7, 2019 at 3:19 pm #4708841

natasjaS-2

Hi there,

I have done everything you said, Diego. However, i don't see the translated version. Also, I scanned for "Translate Link Targets"... but it has around 28.000 targets or something, while i only translated 75 words in 2 languages, so it never gets to the end or completes it... half way it gets stuck. Could you please help me out. I can send you log in credentials.

Kind regards, Natasja

October 7, 2019 at 4:45 pm #4709517

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hi Natasja,

This Jamal from the WPML Support, If you don't mind, I'll continue with you on this ticket.

Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

hidden link

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please add a screenshot that shows with the string you want to change and what you would like to set on it instead.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

October 8, 2019 at 9:18 am #4713477

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello Natasja, I will still need a screenshot of such string in the frontend, this will help me to check if my solution is working or not.

In the meanwhile, as you have changed some English strings, you must deactivate the option to "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" in WPML->Theme and plugins localization->Localization options->Other options. See the attached image(last option).

You will also need to recreate ST DB cache in WPML->Support->Troubleshooting to force WPML to search for your English strings instead of the original English strings.

If this does not help, please specify a string that you have changed and specify where can we see it in the frontend or backend. A screenshot will be helpful.

Best regards,
Jamal

October 8, 2019 at 10:44 am #4714403

natasjaS-2

Hi Jamal,

I did what you said:

"""" In the meanwhile, as you have changed some English strings, you must deactivate the option to "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" in WPML->Theme and plugins localization->Localization options->Other options. See the attached image(last option).

You will also need to recreate ST DB cache in WPML->Support->Troubleshooting to force WPML to search for your English strings instead of the original English strings.""""

And it worked! I see all the strings with their translated version in the default English language 😀 Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards, Natasja

October 8, 2019 at 10:45 am #4714405

natasjaS-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!