This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Some taxonomy terms are out of sync between languages I can't seem to find the taxonomies that need syncing and sync them.

Solution:

This issue is escalated to our developers and will be fixed in future versions of WPML. Meanwhile, we have a workaround that in other cases solved these similar issues. For this workaround to work, you should know approximately how many terms you have in Products Categories. And then add this number to the following constant which you should add to the wp-config.php file of your WordPress installation.

define('WPML_TAXONOMY_TRANSLATION_MAX_TERMS_RESULTS_SET', '5000');

Please replace the number 5000 with a number that is a bit higher than the number of terms that you have.

100% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
August 28, 2019 at 9:52 am #4472937

marcv-4

I am trying to:
Translate taxonomy terms via the WPML interface.

I expected to see:
After I save the translation and refresh te page, a pencil beneath the flag of the language I translated to.

Instead, I got:
A plus, meaning the translation isn't saved, however, when viewing the taxonomy terms via the WordPress overview in the translated language, the translation is there.

August 28, 2019 at 9:59 am #4472959

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

This ticket has been inactive for quite a while so I'm transforming this chat into a support ticket because I believe you're still encountering the problem. You'll still be troubleshooting the problem with me.

Can you please send me the link where I can see the issue on the front-end?
Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Also please make sure that it is not a cache issue. Please clear all the cache from your site and check if the issue persists.

Thanks,
Itamar.

August 28, 2019 at 10:02 am #4472989

marcv-4

Hi Itamar,

This is not happening in the front-end, it's all in the back-end. When translating via the taxonomy translation page in WPML, after the save it doesn't show up again as translated (so you think it's not saved), but when viewing the terms on the taxonomy page in the back-end, we see the translated terms(s).

Thanks,
Marco

August 28, 2019 at 8:16 pm #4476815

Itamar
Supporter

Hi. Marco.

Could you please let me have access to your site and explain to me where and how I can see the issue on your site?

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

September 2, 2019 at 12:53 pm #4497157

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I've checked things on your site, and I can see the problem. When I go here hidden link and try to translate 'BLACK FRIDAY DEAL' from Dutch to English, the translation is not being saved.
If I look for 'BLACK FRIDAY DEAL' again the plus (+) is showing and my translation is gone. Please see the attached screenshot.

First, please make sure that you are following our instruction on how to create and translate taxonomies with WooCommerce Multilingual. You can see the instructions here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/#taxonomies
Please note that it states the following:

First, create the product categories, tags, and attributes in the default language

Was the 'BLACK FRIDAY DEAL' term first created in Dutch the default language of your site?

If you are sure that you have followed the instructions correctly, then please proceed like this.

A. Check that it is not a cache issue by deleting all the cache on your site and disabling the cache plugin and other cache methods that you might have.

B. I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin that might cause this problem. If possible, get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like TwentyNineteen and no plugins activated except WPML. You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to TwentyNineteen (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins except the WPML and its add-ons and WooCommerce itself (without any of its extensions). Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

Can you please try the above?

Thanks,
Itamar.

September 3, 2019 at 10:17 am #4503415

marcv-4

Hi Itamar,

I've found the issue myself, by debugging far and deep into the code of WPML.

The result set of the query on the database to get all translations of a taxonomy is (standard) limited to 1000, however, because this is a big site, I had to set the WPML_TAXONOMY_TRANSLATION_MAX_TERMS_RESULTS_SET defined variable to a higher number (now set to 100000) to fix this.

Marco

September 3, 2019 at 10:18 am #4503417

marcv-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

September 3, 2019 at 10:37 am #4503535

Itamar
Supporter

Great, I'm glad to know that you have found the fix for this issue.

Indeed it is a known issue that we have.
You can see a reference for this issue at the following link to another forum ticket.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/message-some-taxonomy-terms-are-out-of-sync-keeps-showing-up-nothing-to-sunc/
I'm sorry. It is my fault that I failed to realize that we are looking here on this specific issue.
Sometimes issues are complex and it takes time to debug them and realize the cause of the issue. I hope that you can understand this.

Cheers,
Itamar.

September 3, 2019 at 10:39 am #4503589

Itamar
Supporter

I forgot to add that this issue is escalated to our developers and will be fixed in future versions of WPML. When the version with the fx is released, I'll inform you here.